Tire upgrade options for 2022 CX-5 Signature

Hello all - I am getting 2022 CX-5 Signature next week. I am thinking about upgrading the stock 225/55 R19 tires to 245/50 R19. Did any of you did this upgrade? I had a consultation with Discount Tire and they were against this idea. Their point is that the stock wheel rim has a width of 7" and that wouldn't be good enough for a 245 section tires. They suggested to change both wheels and the tires if I really need to change.

Any suggestions or opinions, anyone ?

It's my understanding that t he wider wheel will spread the tire beads apart and change the shape of the tire. I think some web sites specify the size range a particular tire can fit.

check this one out.

I put 245/50r19 on the stock rim its bad!!! like riding on jello. I had to buy a new set of wheels. now those tires are much better on an 8.5inch rim.

TBH; our car does not need 245 and 8.5 rims. It makes the car much heavier. I would go with 235 after these tires are done.

check this one out.

I put 245/50r19 on the stock rim its bad!!! like riding on jello. I had to buy a new set of wheels. now those tires are much better on an 8.5inch rim.

TBH; our car does not need 245 and 8.5 rims. It makes the car much heavier. I would go with 235 after these tires are done.

Thank you. That's what precisely advised by the Discount Tire. I may have to back off from the upgrade for now. Not ready yet to spend 2k+ on wheels and Tire. Just thinking if I should just change the stock size tire to a better option (evaluating Michelin PS4 A/S and Bridgestone RE980 A/S plus). Will decide this week.

Will 235 good enough with the 7" stock rims?

Thank you. That's what precisely advised by the Discount Tire. I may have to back off from the upgrade for now. Not ready yet to spend 2k+ on wheels and Tire. Just thinking if I should just change the stock size tire to a better option (evaluating Michelin PS4 A/S and Bridgestone RE980 A/S plus). Will decide this week.

Will 235 good enough with the 7" stock rims?
I'm team Michelin and continental. I only use their product!
I had PILOT SPORT ALL-SEASON 4 (245/50/19) on right now. They are the best tire I had! I may try out the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS for my next set.

This is the 3rd set of PS A/S 4 I had now. Those new PS A/S 4 sidewall is a little softer than the PS A/S 3+ you may notice a little flex when Windy. Discount tire may let you return under 100 miles if you don't like the flex.

I think you will be ok with 235 on the stock rims. The problem is I don't think they made 235 for PS A/S 4.

Last edited:
Depending on then tire manufacturer, the widest tire on a 7 inch rim is a 235.

Anything wider needs a wider rim. A 235 on 7 inch rim will work just fine. It's what I had on my other suv and what I'll be using on this vehicle.

Again check the tire manufacturer to make sure the width tire you want will fit on the size rim you have.

Will be downsizing in spring to 235 70r16 tires on a 16x7 inch Mazda tribute rim.

Other posters have put 245 tires on but they also upgraded their rims.

From memory, you should need a 7.5 inch to 8.5 inch rim for 245 width. Make sure to get your offsets right on the wider rim.

Imo, if I were moving to 245 I would probably get 8 inch wide wheels.

Remember it's a balance... too wide of rims aren't good either. Others will argue the point but wider rims generally may visually enhance the vehicle but also negatively affect performance.

And again check the tire manufacturer specs to see what rim width they recommend and go from there.

Last edited:
245/50/19 is the widest on 7" for most brands and models however, it's bulging a lot and will probably feel sloppy under lateral load. here is one of a few members that have done it.

I think MAZDA picked the best tire size for my 2021GTR. I wouldn't change untill I drove the std tire for a while because you may very well like them. Ed

The car doesn't need wider tires. They would not be an "upgrade". There is precious little clearance between front strut and the fire's sidewall. Its close enough I doubt I can get any sort of chain on it and someone here showed a rub mark with standard size tires. You may want different tires and their design and construction may or may not be an "upgrade", depending on your point of view.

I am now running Fallen Wildpeak A/Ts in 225/55R19. I consider them an upgrade from the original 225/65R17s and the Geolander G015s I had. They climb rough dirt paths more easily and steering response is very good. BUT, they have a growl at multiples of 21 mph that's worse in a turn. Mazda would not select such a tire, but I'm satisfied.

I posted this very same question when I bought my 19 CX-5 new. I had always run premium brand tires (Michelin, Conti, etc.) and really had no desire to run a Toyo. After a lot of self-debate, I ended up just leaving the Toyo A36s on the car because I knew I was going to be putting about 12k miles a year on them driving from FL to SC. I decided to give them a chance..and replace them reasonably soon.

Well, after 30 months or so, I just replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4S. I’ll post a review on them after I’ve put some miles on them.

Anyway…My impression of the Toyos is that they are a competent tire. They performed fine in both dry and wet weather. I did not ever try to push them (I have another car for that) though…because I simply didn’t trust them and this vehicle is just used for our highway trips.

In the end, I believe there are a host of other tires that are better choices than the Toyo A36s…but at least they are not the ‘crap’ tires I thought they’d be.

... In the end, I believe there are a host of other tires that are better choices than the Toyo A36s…but at least they are not the ‘crap’ tires I thought they’d be...
I would agree with that. They're fine for oem tires. No reason to throw them away early but also no reason to get a second set either.

I just did a walk-around of my 2019 CX5 GT-R. It has only about 15,600 miles on it and the factory Toyo A36 tires are almost down to the bars, especially on the front set. I probably should have rotated them but didn't get around to it. I live in the mountains and drive in a somewhat spirited manner up and down the state highway but I sure didn't expect them to be this worn. I'm careful about maintaining the pressures. They handle quite well in warm, dry weather.

But I have never been happy with the Toyo's performance in light snow either. In fact they provide almost no traction in 2-3 inches of snow. So I will be reviewing all of the threads here about replacement tires. I want tires with good dry weather performance but also some good grip in the light snow we experience here. And I don't want anything too noisy.

Hello all - I am getting 2022 CX-5 Signature next week. I am thinking about upgrading the stock 225/55 R19 tires to 245/50 R19. Did any of you did this upgrade? I had a consultation with Discount Tire and they were against this idea. Their point is that the stock wheel rim has a width of 7" and that wouldn't be good enough for a 245 section tires. They suggested to change both wheels and the tires if I really need to change.

Any suggestions or opinions, anyone ?

Opinions vary, but if you want the best all around performance, opt for matching your tread width (not your tire width which would be 9.65) to the wheel width. On a 245/45ZR20 Continental Extremecontact DSW06+ for example, the tread width is 8.1". So, I'd go with either 8" or 8.5".

If it were me (and it is...I'm upgrading wheels/tires) I'd consider going to 245/45R20 tires on 20" wheels either 8" or 8.5" wide.

The height is for all intents and purposes, identical, and at between a +38 to +45 offset, TireRack guarantees fitment with this size.

I just did a walk-around of my 2019 CX5 GT-R. It has only about 15,600 miles on it and the factory Toyo A36 tires are almost down to the bars, especially on the front set. I probably should have rotated them but didn't get around to it. I live in the mountains and drive in a somewhat spirited manner up and down the state highway but I sure didn't expect them to be this worn. I'm careful about maintaining the pressures. They handle quite well in warm, dry weather.

But I have never been happy with the Toyo's performance in light snow either. In fact they provide almost no traction in 2-3 inches of snow. So I will be reviewing all of the threads here about replacement tires. I want tires with good dry weather performance but also some good grip in the light snow we experience here. And I don't want anything too noisy.

I've put a lot of research into that and I think the Continental Extremecontact DSW06+ (the new ones...not the old DSW06 without the plus) are, all around, the best thing going in the UHP All Season category.

Case in point: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=280

Last edited:
check this one out.

For the record, I just went from our stock 225/55R19 to a 245/45ZR20 and lost 11lbs per corner.

Here is the proof of it.

Old at 60.8lbs
New at 49.8lbs

So, going bigger doesn't, always, mean going heavier and in fact, can save quite a bit in weight.

Attachments

• PXL_20220726_175859205.jpg
    PXL_20220726_175859205.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 136
  • PXL_20220726_173536395.jpg
    PXL_20220726_173536395.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 140
So, going bigger doesn't, always, mean going heavier and in fact, can save quite a bit in weight.

Definitely. On my CX-9, I went up two inches in diameter and two inches in width, and I still saved 4lbs per corner compared to the OEM 20x8.5 wheels, lol.

I would agree with that. They're fine for oem tires. No reason to throw them away early but also no reason to get a second set either.
The reason to be put away, is longer than average stopping distance CX5 showed in 60-0 tests. 1st as a narrow tire , it's already at disadvantage, then the compound itself the thread design combined don't give enough grip for emergency situations compared to performance tires.
Going from 225 Toyo A36 to lower profile 245 Conti DSW06, you will stop around 20ft sooner if not more.
These are life saving distances
Same could be said for any emergency handling. It makes the car lot safer.

For the record, I just went from our stock 225/55R19 to a 245/45ZR20 and lost 11lbs per corner.

Here is the proof of it.

Old at 60.8lbs
New at 49.8lbs

When upgrading wheels the first thought in my mind is "weight savings". 11lbs per corner is a major upgrade. I lost about 16lbs per corner on my Mazda6 resulting in better braking performance, less stress on braking system, less stress on engine when I accelerate. Also went 1 inch wider for better cornering grip.

Continental and its sub-brand General (I've got the German-made General AS-05's) are usually among the lightest tires you can buy.

Back