Urgent help needed. A hole under the engine?!

Hi, new to forum. I have a mazda5. I was looking for oil leak this morning and notice a a hole under my engine(driver side).. Not exactly sure what that was. Feel urgent. so, I post it here to get your opinion. Thank you for your input!

1.jpg
2.JPG

Yes. But, the edge does not look manually cut. I was wondering if there was something that fell off... Very strange.

Hi, new to forum. I have a mazda5. I was looking for oil leak this morning and notice a a hole under my engine(driver side).. Not exactly sure what that was. Feel urgent. so, I post it here to get your opinion. Thank you for your input!

View attachment 308479 View attachment 308480
Looks like something found its way out of the bellhousing. My guess would be a torque converter nut, or maybe the balance weight they sometimes spot-weld to the converter. Looks like the hole has been there awhile. Do you remember hearing a loud bang under the hood sometime back? You may have more to deal with than an oil leak...

Looks like something found its way out of the bellhousing. My guess would be a torque converter nut, or maybe the balance weight they sometimes spot-weld to the converter. Looks like the hole has been there awhile. Do you remember hearing a loud bang under the hood sometime back? You may have more to deal with than an oil leak...
Actually, I do not remember there was a loud band somehow. Will it be ok to have an opening on bellhousing?

That is part of the design. If you look at pictures of the transmission on used units for sale, they all have that window in the casting.

That is a normal looking hole. Now, if something went over it...I couldn't say. But that's not broken metal.

I am thinking about coving it up with some tape or something else. I tried metal tape. Too much grease. It does not stick. Any other crazy ideas?

Don't start drilling and tapping for no good reason. Do a search on this and you'll see other people ask about this hole.

Pretty sure it's normal.

Back