CX-5 Battery Drain?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I have a 2020 turbo. Last August exactly two years after buying the car the battery went dead (way out in the boonies and had to wait four hours for a tow truck). There was no prior warning of a low battery. Seems I've always had some indication in the past when batteries were going bad. Anyway Mazda replaced it with a Willard. That was seven months and 7358 kilometers ago. Today at the scheduled maintenance there was a note on the paperwork that the battery arrived discharged with a voltage of 12.30 and was charged and corrected to a voltage of 12.94. I'm not familiar with battery voltage numbers. Was the battery slightly discharged or very discharged? I don't run any accessories on the car with an electrical draw so don't know what's up with this. Incidently I now carry one of those chargers in the trunk!

Slightly discharged from the normal 12.6v, but even this number varies with the temperature of the battery.

12.3v is only very slightly low. 12.1v would worry me more.

Upvote 0
On the other hand in warm weather normal could be a bit higher ... 12.7-12.8.

They charged it to 12.94v but that will settle down after a bit.

12.3v isn't terrible but when I see mine that low I attach my charger or maintainer.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I never paid attention to the level of battery charge before, guess I need to.

Upvote 0
Back