Starter grinding on flywheel after transmission replacement SOLVED

Hi,

I just replaced my transmission on a Mazda 5 2006 automatic. and when the car start, there is an terrific grinding/scratching noise.

I figured out it was the starter drive gear that still touching the flywheel. I don't really get it as I didn't change the flywheel or the starter so the set up should be the same.

I removed the starter and the drive gear seems to retract all the way, there is maybe a 1/16" play. I did change the starter 2 years ago.

The transmission if from a Mazda 5 2005 and mine is 2006, not sure it could have an impact.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the starter relay may be getting stuck on?

If it were me, I'd pull the fuel pump relay so it couldn't start. Then turn the key to crank the engine and if you let go of the key...if the starter is still turning the engine...the starter relay is getting stuck on.

Negusm has a good suggestion.

Only similar experience was on an old ‘86 Nissan Sentra. Starter died and we replaced it with a remanufactured one just like I’d done many times in my old ford. The one we installed ended up having a hairline fracture in the case around where the starter drive gear extended which made the gear not go out far enough. So it ended up stopping about 1/16-1/8” short of engaging the flywheel and just grinding off the edges of the teeth on the flywheel.

Back