Windscreen washer froze 8-\

Don't most closed systems have a valve that lets air in while whatever is in it is being drawn out?
Yes, but the cap for windshield washer reservoir definitely isn’t sealed tight like other closed systems.

Here in Sweden, we use a slightly different routine so that we do not get caught out with frozen windscreen washer fluids in the washer tank and pipes. During summer we use summer washing fluid and during winter we use -20c winter fluid and we do the switch over (without draining the summer fluid) about a month before the winter sets in so that the the tank has a winter fluid just as the temperature begins to drop to zero Celsius. Then we continue with winter fluid till the night temperatures starts to hit plus 5-10 C. After that it is summer fluid again. With this technique I have been caught out only once in 22 years. It happened last year when the temperature suddenly dropped very quickly and early than expected.

What's the downside of using winter formula all year long? That's what I do with no worries.

What's the downside of using winter formula all year long? That's what I do with no worries.

I've tried to adopt this as well. The only hard part about this is keeping enough winter formula on hand. Sometimes I have to go looking for it in the summer as most of the winter fluid gets replaced with the bug cleaning fluid.

Here in the great white frozen north, we use winter fluid all year long. Never had problems with any vehicles, ever. Supply is also not an issue here, as it can be found in many stores all year long.

Here, if you start using water only in the spring and summer, then by the time October rolls around, your reservoir is mostly filled with water. The first cold night, and the fluid is frozen. To avoid this problem, you would have to drain the reservoir and refill it with the winter stuff again, before it gets cold. That is definitely not worth the effort.

Last comment:, all garages, dealers, oil change places etc., around here would not fill the reservoir with water. They all keep bulk winter formula washer fluid on hand and use that for top ups. The last thing a service centre wants to deal with is a frozen reservoir due to their stupidity. It's just a given around here that you sue anti freeze washer fluid.

It is all about money, economy (summer fluid is half the price) and besides the summer fluid looks and smells far nicer! It removes dead insects better too. My son uses a lot of washer fluid and sometimes I wonder if his car runs on washer fluid or petrol!

It is all about money, economy (summer fluid is half the price) and besides the summer fluid looks and smells far nicer! It removes dead insects better too. My son uses a lot of washer fluid and sometimes I wonder if his car runs on washer fluid or petrol!
Around here I buy the winter formula for under $2/gallon. I can easily afford that, more so than worrying about changing out my summer washer fluid for the winter formula.

Back