Non-Functioning Intermittent Wipers

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
I bought a 2016.5 CX-5 GT a few months back (for my wife). Love the car! Only issue with it is the wipers don't work in the intermittent setting. When I turn the stalk to intermittent, they cycle one time, then nothing. Any suggestions??? I live about 2 hours from the nearest Mazda dealership in west TN.

Do the wipers function correctly when they are turned to the "ON" setting (constant wiping)?

I'm only suggesting this video as the car is fairly new to you and your wife. It shows the basic operation of the windshield wiper stalk.

Now, assuming you're operating the stalk correctly, I would suggest spraying some electrical contact cleaner on the wiper stalk, then working all of the functions of the stalk to work the cleaner in and let it do its job.

If that doesn't work, you could try replacing the wiper stalk with a new one.

I don't think there is a fuse specific to the intermittent wiper function, but if there is, that would be the first thing I'd check. From what I could find, there is a front wiper fuse, but since the wipers appear to be working aside from the intermittent function, that fuse is probably ok.

Upvote 0
Do the wipers function correctly when they are turned to the "ON" setting (constant wiping)?

I'm only suggesting this video as the car is fairly new to you and your wife. It shows the basic operation of the windshield wiper stalk.

Now, assuming you're operating the stalk correctly, I would suggest spraying some electrical contact cleaner on the wiper stalk, then working all of the functions of the stalk to work the cleaner in and let it do its job.

If that doesn't work, you could try replacing the wiper stalk with a new one.

I don't think there is a fuse specific to the intermittent wiper function, but if there is, that would be the first thing I'd check. From what I could find, there is a front wiper fuse, but since the wipers appear to be working aside from the intermittent function, that fuse is probably ok.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the wipers work fine in low and high speed mode. I'll give the contact cleaner a try.

Upvote 0
Does your model have auto wipers? If so, auto replaces the intermittent setting and will only run when water is detected.
Thanks for the reply. I think it may have the auto wipers. There is an assembly on the windshield next to the rear view mirror mount. So, if this car has the auto wipers, then the variable control on stalk adjusts the sensitivity of that mode? Is that correct? If that is the case the auto wiper mode isn't working as I've driven the car in the rain with the wipers set in intermittent or auto mode and other than the initial pass when turned on they don't do anything until I move the control to either low, high or turn off the intermittent/auto mode and turn it back on. Any suggestions on a fix?

Upvote 0
Start car an set wipers to auto, then splash some water to windshield, then it should work.
Remember you can set sensitivity om stilk, and remember to enable auto in HMI.

Attachments

• on.PNG
    on.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 157
  • sense.PNG
    sense.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 0
Any suggestions on a fix?
Not sure about 2016.5 but on the 2019 with auto wipers you can disable auto mode in the infotainment settings which basically makes the wipers variable. I do this when I get snow accumulation on the windshield which confuses the auto setting sometimes.

Upvote 0
In the second Generation infotainment system you can choose between intermittent and "rain sensing". I changed mine to intermittent because the rain sensing isn't as hyper vigilant as I prefer (I think my preference is in the minority).

Upvote 0
Back