2021 CX-5 Sport: How to add homelink?

If yo can power it up and attach it, there's nothing special about a Homelink mirror other than it has the homelink remote built it. Kind of like taking your clicker and putting it in the mirror.

I may be wrong, and my gf will probably tell you I am

To OP:
There are three wires to a Homelink.
1. constant 12v - for garage door
2. switched 12v - for dimmer
3. ground
I installed one myself few years back on a '05 CX9.
There are ground and constant wires in the doom light, but not switched 12v.

What I did?
I ran wires down the inside of A-pillar trim to the kick panel of your left foot (assuming LHD).
There are contacts there. Switched and constant 12v. Ground is easy. Just tie it to a body panel somewhere free of paint or ground pin.
A PDF instruction for Mazda accessory is here for the information you might need.

To OP:
There are three wires to a Homelink.
1. constant 12v - for garage door
2. switched 12v - for dimmer
3. ground
I installed one myself few years back on a '05 CX9.
There are ground and constant wires in the doom light, but not switched 12v.

What I did?
I ran wires down the inside of A-pillar trim to the kick panel of your left foot (assuming LHD).
There are contacts there. Switched and constant 12v. Ground is easy. Just tie it to a body panel somewhere free of paint or ground pin.
A PDF instruction for Mazda accessory is here for the information you might need.
This sounds a bit complicated. I have taken out the A pillar before while doing installing the dashcam (powered via the OB reader).

Installing this homelink seems like a lot of work. You said doom light would be a no go for the homelink system. But would the rain sensor/lane keep assist box on the windshield have those three components (constant 12v, switched 12v, ground) for the homelink? I dont mind if the garage opener does not work when the car is turned off (will help as a security measure if the car is parked outside).

Also I feel like I dont need the dimming feature? have never toggled the dimming version on my non powered rear view mirror on my SUV.

Rain sensor should be on switched 12v, but I am not sure if the current draw is sufficient. Your call.

If you don't need the dimming, then, you can buy a basic Gentex mirror w/o auto dimming. In that case, you only need constant 12 (dome light) and ground (which also can be found inside dome light cover).

Hi, I have a problem connecting the mirror with the Homelink function. I don't like the color scheme of cables and positions in the manual and in reality. Now the auto-dimming feature works for me, but the Homelink doesn't. I have a European CX-5 2022. I have a wrong cable for Homelink, what should I connect it to?

try to find the instructions for the frameless mirror accessory. It shows where to splice in , because it is not plug and play also. somewhere in the A pillar if I recall.
btw Does homelink even work in Europe (frequency wise)?

the mirror as said above has 3 main wires.
constant 12v+ used for homelink (its always on)
switched 12v+ for autodimming
and ground 12v-

yes, Homelink works, I just found out before buying the mirror, Homelink and garage door motor work on the same frequency.
yes, I have it connected in the A-pillar, but according to the instructions, the position and color of the cable do not match reality, the given position according to the instructions is a different color in reality, e.g. in the instructions, there is a purple cable at the given position, but in reality I have pink, purple is in a different position

Last edited:
I cannot help in your particular case, but when we got our 2014, I added an eBay 2013 autodim/homelink mirror. I had assumed it would be plug and play, but found, like you, that wires were different. I was able to swap around pins in the mirror-side connector to match the car side one to get it working.

Back