Protege5 manual mode not downshifting

When in manual mode I can upshift up to 4th but I can't manually shift down. I've read around and I've heard that you can downshift but also I've read that you can't, ik the computer does it for you when you're below a certain mph. I believe I have a 03 p5 but the title says 02, but I have the 03 shifter and dash with the gear indicator so lmao. Any help would be appreciated

there is some switch in the console to check out. and yes, only 03.5 came with tiptronic slapstick IIRC. I like mine.

Reactions: pcb
there is some switch in the console to check out. and yes, only 03.5 came with tiptronic slapstick IIRC. I like mine.
Do you know what that switch is called and where it's located exactly? I'm having trouble trying to find it online, I don't know what I'm searching for

Do you have side markers on the fenders? If so it is an 03 not 02. The switch is under the shifter inside the center console. I don't know its actual name tho.

Do you have side markers on the fenders? If so it is an 03 not 02. The switch is under the shifter inside the center console. I don't know its actual name tho.
Yeah it has the side markers. so when I find the switch what do I do then, what am I checking for

I cant find the thread about it but Pcb on here is a diagram wizard. I believe there are 2 contact like switches just below the indicator on center console. As you bang up or down it sends a signal to shift. Could be as simple as cleaning the switch/ contacts. I would assume you could test the switch using a multimeter on continuity setting to see if its registering when its touched.
Again, this is foggy memory from a long time ago hopefully pcb or someone can confirm

yep, start with checking inside and making sure there isn't any gak built up or spilled on those contacts and go from there depending on what you find.

Back