2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I intend to use the OEM oil filter on my vehicle for the first couple of oil changes and then switch to a Fram filter. I remember several different filters are made in different countries. Can someone school me on the OEM filters that my dealer might stock? Thank you Ed

Solution
So you bought a new 2021 CX-5 GTR?

The oil filter from factory on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

I wouldn’t use Fram filter, as aftermarket oil filters are one size for both 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas OEM’s have 2 different oil filters.
So you bought a new 2021 CX-5 GTR?

The oil filter from factory on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

I wouldn’t use Fram filter, as aftermarket oil filters are one size for both 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas OEM’s have 2 different oil filters.
Did you buy the Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 filters from Partsouq.com yet? It is $7.75+$5 shipping each to California even if you buy more than one. I also have a Honda Engine mount in cart that is about $40 cheaper. So have you heard of any issues like shipping delays or wrong/non genuine parts? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Did you buy the Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 filters from Partsouq.com yet? It is $7.75+$5 shipping each to California even if you buy more than one. I also have a Honda Engine mount in cart that is about $40 cheaper. So have you heard of any issues like shipping delays or wrong/non genuine parts? Thanks.
I bought 21 Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A oil filters for my 2016 CX-5 with 2.5L NA from Med Center Mazda back in Nov. 2016.

PatrickGSR94 got his OEM OCV solenoid PE01-14-420A from Partsouq.com via eBay with much better price and super fast shipping (within several days after he placed the order):

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Tchman2016 and VQ35DE both got Mazda OEM Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters for their 2.5L NA and 2.5T from Partsouq.com (via eBay?) with similar good experience too:

Oil filter won't fit

Of course YMMV. Let us know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is exactly why I use OEM filters in all of my cars. I'm not going to pretend to try to out think the engineers who designed my car.

Saving $2.38 on an oil filter, compared to $4000 for a new engine is a false economy.
And:

REFERENCE NO: RF-16-03 ALL SKYACTIV® MODELS - OIL FILTER APPLICATION

66E2CFA5-B90D-4F0C-8843-4793639E8648.jpeg

Upvote 0
I bought 21 Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A oil filters for my 2016 CX-5 with 2.5L NA from Med Center Mazda back in Nov. 2016.

PatrickGSR94 got his OEM OCV solenoid PE01-14-420A from Partsouq.com via eBay with much better price and super fast shipping (within several days after he placed order):

Tchman2016 and VQ35DE both got Mazda OEM Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters for their 2.5L NA and 2.5T from Partsouq.com (via eBay?) with similar good experience too:

Oil filter won't fit

I will, I am going with the actual partsouq.com to purchase Mazda and Honda parts since ebay listing has high shipping. Btw when searching their site I do notice some aftermarket 3rd party parts as well so still have to be careful when ordering/receiving.

Btw on ebay there are a lot of fakes. One example is with Toyota packaging like the red spark plug boxes below both from ebay listings:

Attachments

• 67F8B8FB-C70E-49CB-86F3-BBBE0A886DD0.png
    67F8B8FB-C70E-49CB-86F3-BBBE0A886DD0.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 132
  • AED073A9-083E-4AB3-926A-16E5F53B6105.png
    AED073A9-083E-4AB3-926A-16E5F53B6105.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Btw on ebay there are a lot of fakes. One example is with Toyota packaging like the red spark plug boxes below both from ebay listings:

Are they both legit or ?
I know a lot of NGK fakes on EBay and Amazon . . . you photos are too small on my 30" monitor to notice any difference if any.

Upvote 0

PatrickGSR94 got his OEM OCV solenoid PE01-14-420A from Partsouq.com via eBay with much better price and super fast shipping (within several days after he placed the order):

Oil filter won't fit

Man I just spent $600+ at partsouq.com hopefully no issues! I paid with paypal incase since it suppose to have free return shipping lol

edit
Hopefully I dont decide to let go the cx-5 before I get to use all of the parts like I did with my Prius lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.43.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.43.39 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought a case of 1WPY-14-302 oil filters from an online source and paid accordingly. But they sent me the cheaper PY8W-14-302 oil filters made in Mexico. Returned and got full refund.

OF 1.jpg
OF 2.jpg

Upvote 0
I bought a case of 1WPY-14-302 oil filters from an online source and paid accordingly. But they sent me the cheaper PY8W-14-302 oil filters made in Mexico. Returned and got full refund.

View attachment 306635View attachment 306636
The PY8W-14-302 are the genuine Roki Japan made filters for the 2.5T which are the best filter but the ones you received look like fakes because they do not come packaged like that. The real ones come sealed in a Mazda OEM box with a single plastic seal on the top gasket of the filter inside the box. See pic. Definitely not shrink wrapped like that. My suggestion is to buy from partsouq.com for genuine goods. The 1WPY part number is for the Thailand made by Denso filter which is also legit.

Edit: the MV designation after the part number is the Mazda value line made in Mexico filter but the part number PY8W-14-302 is no longer used except for the Japan made filters I believe so it's a little fishy and the way they are just shrink wrapped seems strange even if a value line filter.

Attachments

• 51OOS0tm8BL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    51OOS0tm8BL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PY8W-14-302 filters are still made in Mexico and sold at your local Mazda dealers. Most dealers use this value filters for oil changes AFAIK.

1WPY-14-302 filters supersede original OEM filters for 2.5L Turbo and are made in Thailand by Denso. They're legit oil filters for Turbo models, no fake by no means. I trust Denso and have no problem using their oil filters for my 2.5L Turbo engine.

Upvote 0

View attachment 306635View attachment 306636
You’d got Mexican made Mazda OEM PY8W-14-302-MV “Value” oil filter which is different from Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter. Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter is installed on the 2.5T from factory, and it’s also available in most countries worldwide.

If you order “PY8W-14-302” oil filter from a legit foreign Mazda parts supplier such as Partsouq.com, you should get Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter.

Upvote 0
PY8W-14-302 filters are still made in Mexico and sold at your local Mazda dealers.
This’s incorrect. Again, “PY8W-14-302” is a legit Mazda part number worldwide, and it’s the Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter.

Cheaper “Value Line” “PY8W-14-302-MV” is a different OEM oil filter for the 2.5T and it’s made in Mexico.

Mazda North American Operations stopped offering PY8W-14-302 in the US since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302. Later MNAO started offering cheaper PY8W-14-302-MV filter in its “Value Parts Line”, and been used by US Mazda dealers for oil change for lower cost. If you want better Thai made OEM Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter for oil change at a Mazda dealer, you need to specify it in advance, or you’d be disappointed as you’ll get “Value” oil filter. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Man I just spent $600+ at partsouq.com hopefully no issues! I paid with paypal incase since it suppose to have free return shipping lol
Based on member’s experience here and 98.9% positive feedback on eBay (was 99,6% a year ago), I believe Partsouq.com should be a good foreign source for OEM parts with fast shipping. Their price definitely is attractive even with additional shipping charge.

Why you need an ATF pan for your CX-5? :unsure:

edit
Hopefully I dont decide to let go the cx-5 before I get to use all of the parts like I did with my Prius lol
This’s what happened to me many times. I still have many new OEM parts sitting in my garage for vehicles that have long gone. Just the other day I saw 2 cans of Pennzoil Dexron II ATF (any one still remember this kind of package for oil and ATF in old days?) for my 1974 Chevrolet Impala which now worth $40 on eBay but the small price sticker on it says 99¢ (The eBay one says 69¢)!

32CE5510-ABF4-4E66-A000-29EDCBE88287.jpeg

And why you got rid of your Toyota Prius earlier than you planned? Many friends who own the Prius seems to keep the car forever.

Upvote 0
Based on member’s experience here and 98.9% positive feedback on eBay (was 99,6% a year ago), I believe Partsouq.com should be a good foreign source for OEM parts with fast shipping. Their price definitely is attractive even with additional shipping charge.

This’s what happened to me many times. I still have many new OEM parts sitting in my garage for vehicles that have long gone. Just the other day I saw 2 cans of Pennzoil Dexron II ATF (any one still remember this kind of package for oil and ATF in old days?) for my 1974 Chevrolet Impala which now worth $40 on eBay but the small price sticker on it says 99¢ (The eBay one says 69¢)!

View attachment 306643

And why you got rid of your Toyota Prius earlier than you planned? Many friends who own the Prius seems to keep the car forever.
User SillyWabit recommended a new transmission oil pan instead of scraping the old gasket since it was a pain to do when he changed the transmission filter and oil:
Saves time and effort. The filter and pan should be same for 21 cx-5 Turbo as well from my research. Btw Partouq.com just created a shipping label for my whole order today via DHL at 28 pounds of parts so hopefully no issues.

edit
Yep hopefully I can hold the cx-5 until I used up all my parts especially the filters if I change them once every year or 6k mi but I dont drive much now so most likely once a year lol

Upvote 0
Not sure for 21 CX-5 Turbo, but for 19 CX-5 Turbo, OM states to change oil and filter very 6months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Upvote 0
Are you going to replace your ATF by pan-drop? How many miles on your 2021 CX-5 Turbo? Most do the ATF change by drain & fill every 30,000 miles or longer.

BTW, did you buy ATF - type FZ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you going to replace your ATF by pan-drop? How many miles on your 2021 CX-5 Turbo? Most do the ATF change by drain & fill every 30,000 miles or longer.

BTW, did you buy ATF - type FZ?
Not doing the ATF/filter/pan drop yet it only has about 2,950 mi (edited). Yeah around 30k is when I should. I got the pan since I dont want to mess with getting that gasket off. It seems the pan I got should fit.

Edit
Think its uneccessary to do trans filter at 30k but definitely atf oil. Also didnt buy the trans oil yet nor the gear oils for the front/rear diff. So maybe dropping the pan w/filter change and gear oils at 60k?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

View attachment 306643

View attachment 306643

I got rid of it to get the Cx-5 😂

Upvote 0
Back