Turn off ABS?

in same exact way this guy describes here Why ABS is Dangerous (And How to Disable It)

I followed the red trajectory on his picture... (in my previous '16 cx5)
Having owned non-abs cars in nineties I know that if my front wheels got blocked for a second turning them (while blocked) and releasing the brake would have produced enough turning momentum

Last edited:
Is there a way to turn off ABS?
I missed my turn in icy conditions last year because of it :(

Are you suggesting that on ice you can do a better job of modulating the brakes than the ABS system?

If you were involved in an accident and your insurance company discovered that you purposefully disabled the ABS, I believe that you'd have some tough questions to answer, and you may find that you're in a bit of a bind as far as getting them to pay your claim. And if someone was injured or killed as a result of you disabling your ABS? You could find yourself in a whole world of trouble.

YMMV

Last edited:
I personally have driven cars with ABS and without ABS. ABS is better to have because the system knows you're skidding before you do, and it provides some good feedback to let you know you're slipping. Pair that with threshold/limit braking and driving at a speed that your tires and vehicle can handle, and you'll run into far fewer issues.

I always felt braking is best just before ABS kicks in.....at least that's what it feels like on slippery surfaces.

The benefit of ABS is that you don't have to try to modulate the pedal. You can mash it and not lock up (i.e. maintain steering). One less thing to think about when panic braking.

I wouldn't disable it because I think I can do a better job...especially for the comments Conrad mentioned (liability).

The idea is that if the wheels lock you have zero steering ability. OP claims he "can tell" just before the point of lock and do a better job. After my 1st reply (post #2) I wasn't going to argue with him about it, but rather, would let you guys do it. Stopping distance in a straight line, depending on surface is a different discussion.

Here's a quote from Mazda CX5 manual. I was describing a different technique, locking wheels while turning, but that's too advanced, probably. I hope this is going to stop the discussion regarding potential benefits of "normal" braking system vs ABS if the driver knows how to operate it.

•Braking distances may be longer on loose surfaces (snow or gravel, for example) which usually have a hard foundation. A vehicle with a normal braking system may require less distance to stop under these conditions because the tires will build up a wedge of surface layer when the wheels skid.

MAZDA KNOWS BETTER

Here's a quote from Mazda CX5 manual. I was describing a different technique, locking wheels while turning, but that's too advanced, probably. I hope this is going to stop the discussion regarding potential benefits of "normal" braking system vs ABS if the driver knows how to operate it.

•Braking distances may be longer on loose surfaces (snow or gravel, for example) which usually have a hard foundation. A vehicle with a normal braking system may require less distance to stop under these conditions because the tires will build up a wedge of surface layer when the wheels skid.

MAZDA KNOWS BETTER
MAY require less braking distance

Try that on a motorcycle and see what you get. I'll take ABS over my ability to modulate the brakes every time. Plus, it's nice to have steering control from time to time.

in same exact way this guy describes here Why ABS is Dangerous (And How to Disable It)

I followed the red trajectory on his picture... (in my previous '16 cx5)
Having owned non-abs cars in nineties I know that if my front wheels got blocked for a second turning them (while blocked) and releasing the brake would have produced enough turning momentum
lol wtf? The red trajectory is the exact line you would take WITHOUT ABS, because you would have no steering control. Defeating ABS on a road car, especially in low-traction conditions, is completely asinine.

Back