Updated 2020 Key Fob Compatibility with Older Models

Does anyone know if the updated Mazda key fobs (left in the picture) can be programmed to work with previous model vehicles?

I checked the FCCID on the 2019 CX-5 fob and an updated fob sold online. The FCCID for the updated fob is identical except for the last digit (a 3 on the updated fob instead of a 2).

mt3v9hj18gf21.jpg

Last edited:
Probably compatible. Often the last digit is just a revision number. My personal preference would be the old (right) one since it looks less bulky.
My old 2008 CX9 had a way for the owner to program the car to accept a limited number of additional/replacement FOBs. IIRC, you needed the two already accepted FOBs. I'd be interested in knowing if that still applies. If so, I might pick up a used one off ebay. Always good to have another spare.

What model year is the fob on the right from? My 2016.5 CX doesn't have the hatch/trunk release button on it but my 2016 MX does have that button.

What's the deal with the new fobs being so large?

Last edited:
Check out Mazda 3 forums--that model had the updated fob first for NA, I believe. I seem to recall that it isn't compatible, but I could easily be remembering incorrectly or that has since been proven wrong. When this topic came up earlier on here, I mentioned my favorite Mazda fob was the very thin, flat fob that came with my 2006 MX-5, and even the removable key had a flat head which made it very easy to pocket. This new fob is probably 2x or even 3x as thick as that older one, but I prefer a more flat design regardless as compared to a fatter skinner one. "Is that a Mazda keyfob in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?". ;)😄😄

Does anyone know if the updated Mazda key fobs (left in the picture) can be programmed to work with previous model vehicles?

I checked the FCCID on the 2019 CX-5 fob and an updated fob sold online. The FCCID for the updated fob is identical except for the last digit (a 3 on the updated fob instead of a 2).

View attachment 222181
Great question - I have the reverse: can the old fob (right) be programmed for a vehicle that came with the new fob?

Great question - I have the reverse: can the old fob (right) be programmed for a vehicle that came with the new fob?
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, however this is one of the few hits that show up when Googling this question. Has anyone confirmed whether or not you can program an older 2019 key on a 2020 or 2021 model CX-5? I've had my 2021 for about a year now and I've grown to dislike the key more and more.. which appears to be opposite what Mazda expected.

Thanks in advance!

I ended up finding my other key so I did not have to do the replacement (phew!).

However, looking into it seems like the older fob is *not* compatible with the new one. Not 100% sure but that’s the guidance I got from a couple car key places I talked to.

I ended up finding my other key so I did not have to do the replacement (phew!).

However, looking into it seems like the older fob is *not* compatible with the new one. Not 100% sure but that’s the guidance I got from a couple car key places I talked to.
Thanks for the quick reply back! Now I'm wondering if I could replace the key with an aftermarket remote starter key that's smaller. I truly dislike it That much..

What model year is the fob on the right from? My 2016.5 CX doesn't have the hatch/trunk release button on it but my 2016 MX does have that button.

What's the deal with the new fobs being so large?
It looks just like our 19 Reserve FOB. The hatch release is for the automatic open/close hatch.
My 16 FOB doesn't have the hatch button.

Back