Front parking camera installation?

:
Cx-5 2021GT
Has anyone successfully installed a front parking camera on a 2021 trim? I would be interested to have feedback on the process and cost.

Last edited:
I have to ask: backup cameras I get. It's can sometimes be difficult to know to the inch where your rear bumper is, especially in a SUV. But the front? Why?

I can't see the front bumper as well as I can see the front bumper on my other car.
It's so the driver can see something low to the ground.

Ours has both the front camera and parking sensors. If I had to chose one over the other, it would be the parking sensors. The front camera is really nice, but would be kind of silly without the cameras in the mirrors that make it into a 360 degree view system.

I am interested in a front parking camera because I often need to park as close as possible from the wall to keep enough space for another car behind. Also I think it would be a convenient tool as the backup camera is to see the low front when parking as well. Since the sig trim offers it, I think this should be easy to add on other trim as well. Maybe I should ask a few shops around for an estimate.

This isn't exactly what OP is looking for, but could be an easier option.

Costco sells "Type-S Solar Powered WIRELESS back-up camera. You can add another one at front, have split view wireless monitor. I had installed a back-up camera on older Cayenne, the wireless monitor works well.

Type S Back-up camera.JPG

I am interested in a front parking camera because I often need to park as close as possible from the wall to keep enough space for another car behind. Also I think it would be a convenient tool as the backup camera is to see the low front when parking as well. Since the sig trim offers it, I think this should be easy to add on other trim as well. Maybe I should ask a few shops around for an estimate.
Like in your garage?
Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling where it touches your windshield when you get where you need to get. That works perfectly, and costs all of 37¢.

That's a good idea!! but it's not in my garage, it's at work where we have limited spaces and must park two cars in a slot bumper to bumper. I would still enjoy having a front parking camera integrated to the infotainment. I'll have to do more research for feasibility but the signature trim has it so it should be possible to add an aftermarket camera I suppose.

I've seen people install back up cameras integrated with Nav system on an older vehicles, used to cost $500 - $700 for professional installation. I'm not capable of doing that but some gifted folks should be able to.

I still think it would be less tacky if the OP just added the front parking sensors. It would do exactly what they need.

I've seen people install back up cameras integrated with Nav system on an older vehicles, used to cost $500 - $700 for professional installation. I'm not capable of doing that but some gifted folks should be able to.
I did it before myself on my wife's '05 Prius.
The Prius had a MID unit+Display w/o backup camera.
The installation difficulty level was medium.
A switch box was used that split video signals (R/G/B) from MID unit and backup camera (also R/G/B). The trigger wire was the reverse gear signal that needed to be pulled from somewhere (vehicle dependent). The output R/G/B wires were fed into the Display (i.e. two sets of R/G/B wires as input, and one set of R/G/B wires as output, using reverse signal wire as the trigger). That was pretty much it (other than power connection, grounding, etc.)

Installation of ultrasound sensors is much easier. I did that twice for backup.

For front, the tricky part is where you pull trigger signals from....
I would imagine that, you probably want to trigger it when...
1. speed is less than 5mph (VSS wire and compute pulse count per second)
2. foot on brake (brake light signal)
Need a device to AND these two signals together and generate an output trigger signal.
(maybe such a device can be found online... not sure)
Feed that signal to the unit of ultrasound.
That said, the ultrasound sensors are not that precise. Within a foot of distance, it beeps constantly....

That said, the ultrasound sensors are not that precise. Within a foot of distance, it beeps constantly....
I've had them in all my vehicles for many years now. You get used to how far you can go once they start triggering.

I've had them in all my vehicles for many years now. You get used to how far you can go once they start triggering.
Yes. Me too. When it starts to beep in constant tone, you get 1 ft of distance remaining....

I spoke with my local dealer about adding the front and rear sensors to my 2021 GTR. I was told the rears were a kit, but no kit existed for the front. Even looking at the parts diagram for possible assembling from the parts department it turned out some of the parts couldnt even be ordered. Likely a more agresive parts department could find a way but I haven't had time to pursue further. The shop quoted a lot of hours to install.

Re: Mazda oem parking sensor

for the rear they offered you its an addon accessory. not connected to the infotainment screen. only beeps/sound. few hours of labor time.
The Signature model front/rear even if you order the sensors you are missing the control module and programming for it + proper wires.
You also need the wiring diagrams.
I highly doubt most of the techs in the dealer even know how to add that, etc. Even if you buy the parts and yes you can probably buy them... say from a Signature, it would be a very tough task.
Best case you can add the rear parking sensors accessory addon that Mazda sells but its only sound and not visual.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rear sensors come as a kit from Mazda so a straightforward install. The front control module and wiring harness were a different matter. A lot of dash to remove. Just not designed for an add-on. Unfortunate Mazda didn't offer the fronts as a kit. I've started to look at some aftermarket kits, but haven't gotten vary far.

if you got the time to invest may be start with the Signature model wiring diagrams and see whether it is easy to connect. Then which parts are needed, etc. I suspect the actual part numbers to order can be found after that.
Activating with asbuilt data is possible but only after modules and wiring.

Back