Stock Suspension Dissapointment

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
The other day I hurt my back lifting something too heavy. I have commented before that I am not pleased with the CX-5 suspension on uneven unpaved road. My experience was exacerbated when I drove on that stretch today with above mentioned back pain. The up and down control over bumps is not much worse than the other five vehicles I have driven over the same road but the side to side wallowing over uneven surfaces throwing you back and forth just about killed me. None of the five other vehicles I've driven on this stretch have had such pronounced lack of side to side suspension control. Today it was shear torture. There is so much I love about this car including the wonderful turbo power but it is absolutely a car for paved streets and highways. The suspention really stinks on unpaved roads. I've owned the car for two years now and will try to hold on for another two but sad to say I won't buy another and will look for something with a more comfortable suspension on unpaved road surfaces.

I hate to say this on this forum but a Subaru Outback with its soft and long travel suspension might be better suited to your needs. Completely different than a CX-5, doesn't handle as well, comes with a CVT, different steering feel, some controls are only accessible on the central screen, a little expensive to maintain and not even sure it's available in your area...but you can read the reviews.

I cannot think of another vehicle with similar power and comfort but perhaps others will chime in. Good luck and I know about sore back too so I understand your situation!

Freedom55 thank you for that. Yes you can buy that vehicle here. I will look into it.

Will the CX-50 be available there? It's going to have an 'off-road' mode and different suspension.

The 2022 CX5 will also have an 'off-road' mode on the Premium (formerly Grand Touring) trim and up

Last edited:
Will the CX-50 be available there? It's going to have an 'off-road' mode and different suspension.

The 2022 CX5 will also have an 'off-road' mode on the Premium (formerly Grand Touring) trim and up
I've checked both Subaru and Mazda Colombia websites just for fun. The Outback only comes with one trim in Colombia, thank God it's with the turbo.

As for the CX-50 not sure it will be available in Colombia as it says it was introduced in the U.S. and no mention about Colombia...and you're right to mention it as an alternative, but trims and complete specs are not known. If available and if the OP can wait until it can be taken for a road test later this year I suppose, then he will be able to determine if it suits his needs.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments and advise. As I say the only thing I don't like is the suspension that doesn't control side to side wallowing on dirt roads. I don't know that tire size would have much effect on this issue. If the Subaru has a better ride on unpaved roads that might be the ticket. That transmission looks like a real pain though from what I've seen on Yuotube. A Dutch friend of mine here said that because of the transmission the DAF cars would go just as fast in reverse as forward and a favorite passtime in Holland was racing them backwards. Nutty!

Thank you for your comments and advise. As I say the only thing I don't like is the suspension that doesn't control side to side wallowing on dirt roads. I don't know that tire size would have much effect on this issue. If the Subaru has a better ride on unpaved roads that might be the ticket. That transmission looks like a real pain though from what I've seen on Yuotube. A Dutch friend of mine here said that because of the transmission the DAF cars would go just as fast in reverse as forward and a favorite passtime in Holland was racing them backwards. Nutty!

Tires have more impact on suspension than anything. As someone who rides bikes off-road, the one thing we were always taught was to set tire pressure first and then work on suspension after.

Also, not 100% sure what you mean by side to side wallowing but if you are having back pain and the car feels rough on unpaved roads, changing the tires my give a much smoother ride and act to absorb the impact of the road before transmitting it to the suspension.

Try reducing the tire air pressure to 30 and see if it helps, if it does consider the 17s in a one step up size.

Yeah I am sure 19" tires on unpaved rough roads are not helping the situation at all. Definitely recommend a lower PSI and if that helps a bit, maybe look at dropping to 17" tires.

At the time I bought my CX-5, I lived off a dirt road in the mountains of Colorado. Washboard effect, ruts, potholes, etc. to navigate. It did fine. But I have 17" tires on mine. I bet it is bad with the 19's.

Thanks again, By wallowing I mean the rocking side to side motion on uneven surfaces. That is the worst if you hurt your back and have back pain. Fortunately in my case that has gone away since I started the thread (the back pain). I complain because that sunpension motion is noticably less controled on the CX-5 than on six other vehicles I have driven over the same stretch in previous years.

Well I've complained periodically about the suspension performance of my 2020 CX-5 Signature on unpaved roads. I may have to eat those words. Last week I took my car in to the Mazda Collision center to repair some body damage. At the nearby car rental agency I asked for a Susuki SUV or the like. They said they had nothing in that line, only small sedans and when I arrived to pick up the rental they put me into a very low model German sedan assembled in Argentina. In the ensuing week I crossed that awful stretch of road various times to get home. Man was the suspension on that car horrible! Jounced and bounced and nearly thrown out of my seat. Today I turned that car in and got my Signature back. The ride home could almost (almost...) be desribed as dreamy compared to the miserable thing I'd rented. So Ok Mazda no more rough road driving complaints for now.

Pitter the CX-5 has an aggressive stock shock/strut set up. You can get softer aftermarket ones I believe.....also adjustable ones too.

Back