First oil change at dealer

My dad bought a CX-30 and in 6 months only put 1400 miles on it. I was going to have him wait for the 5k before changing the oil. That may be while before it comes. They bought the car in May 2021.

Should I have him wait till 5k for the oil change?

What oil do the dealers put in? Would we have to specify 0w20 synthetic or is synthetic what they are required to put in? This dealer is also a Ford dealer. Worry they use Motorcraft blend, which is not what I want.

Last edited:
Follow the Scheduled Maintenance as detailed in the Owner's Manual if you want to keep the warranty intact. There are two different schedules to follow - use the one that best applies to your location and your dad's driving habits.

Most 0W-20 oils are synthetic. I don't think the manual states that synthetic is required, but it does specify a minimum certification of the oil (ILSAC GF-5). If you're concerned about the brand/type of oil the dealer is going to use, the best way to find out is to ask them. Otherwise, you can ask if you can bring your own oil for a reduced price. If you go this route, always request that they return the empty jug of oil that they used so that you have some assurances that they actually used the oil you gave them.

You can also change the oil yourself (keep receipts for parts and oil and a log as proof of service), or bring the car to an independent shop for an oil change (keep the invoice as proof of service). Using an OEM Mazda filter will help to avoid any hassles if you need to open a warranty claim.

I see they recommend every 5k or 6 months for severe. I would say his situation is severe.

These engines don't come with break in oil? I heard they come with mineral oil which is less slick than the synthetic and you want to run it in for the first 5k to seat the rings.

These engines don't come with break in oil? I heard they come with mineral oil which is less slick than the synthetic and you want to run it in for the first 5k to seat the rings.

This section of the Owner's Manual refers to the Break-In Period. There is no mention of special break-in oil, and no direction to keep the original oil in for any specific number of miles. Now, if you dad wants to put those miles on before changing the oil, he can. He just has to do it within the 6 month period if he wants to maintain the factory warranty.

Unless you're in Canada, wait until you get to the 1 year mark. Normal interval for the CX-30 is 10k miles or 1 year

My dad bought a CX-30 and in 6 months only put 1400 miles on it. I was going to have him wait for the 5k before changing the oil. That may be while before it comes. They bought the car in May 2021.

Should I have him wait till 5k for the oil change?

What oil do the dealers put in? Would we have to specify 0w20 synthetic or is synthetic what they are required to put in? This dealer is also a Ford dealer. Worry they use Motorcraft blend, which is not what I want.
Hopefully the oil in it now is a high quality synthetic which is good for a year. (Mazda 0w20).

If he puts the miles on with lots of short trips that is worse than a few longer trips.

If he lives in a cold climate as well as using it for short trips it might be good to change it earlier. Maybe sometime after the holidays would be ok.

Hopefully the oil in it now is a high quality synthetic which is good for a year. (Mazda 0w20).

If he puts the miles on with lots of short trips that is worse than a few longer trips.

If he lives in a cold climate as well as using it for short trips it might be good to change it earlier. Maybe sometime after the holidays would be ok.
It's whatever oil Mazda ships with.

First oil change done at Mazda. Lists "0w20 bulk" on the paperwork. Went out of their way to say it is full synthetic. Not sure, but dad puts 1900 miles on in 6 months. So, even synthetic will be fine.

Back