Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 47 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 60.2%

• Total voters
Vote just changed to Yes.
That stinks. I’m sorry to hear this. I am interested to see the timeline for replacement for you since they’re only replacing the head. Given the things I found wrong when I got mine back, plus others’ issues too, I hope replacing the head goes smoothly and they don’t leave you with other “reminders” that they did major engine work.

That stinks. I’m sorry to hear this. I am interested to see the timeline for replacement for you since they’re only replacing the head. Given the things I found wrong when I got mine back, plus others’ issues too, I hope replacing the head goes smoothly and they don’t leave you with other “reminders” that they did major engine work.
IMO having the Mazda dealer to replace the revised cylinder head would potentially result more issues than to replace the entire engine. There’re a lot more involved, including checking the perfect mating between new head and old block which may require shaving the block, for head only replacement. Some mentioned earlier the engine still has to be removed just to replace the head, which means all the electrical problems you have on AFS and heated steering wheel, could happen during the head replacement with engine removal.

I’d want a new or even a factory rebuild engine, as at least the engine is assembled in a high-tech professional and clean environment.

IMO having the Mazda dealer to replace the revised cylinder head would potentially result more issues than to replace the entire engine.
I’d want a new or even a factory rebuild engine, as at least the engine is assembled in a high-tech professional and clean environment.
I agree. However, not sure what kind of power I have to insist that happens.

Just over 70k mi on my 16 GT and no issues yet. I appreciate this thread for all the great info being shared here.

I agree. However, not sure what kind of power I have to insist that happens.
The thought of having a local tech disassemble an engine that robots in Hiroshima didn’t get right the first time is terrifying. If the numbers made sense I’d probably think long and hard about trading her in after getting the engine repaired.

The thought of having a local tech disassemble an engine that robots in Hiroshima didn’t get right the first time is terrifying. If the numbers made sense I’d probably think long and hard about trading her in after getting the engine repaired.
Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do after I get it back. I don't think I can trust the longevity of it any longer. Was planning on having it for many years.

Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do after I get it back. I don't think I can trust the longevity of it any longer. Was planning on having it for many years.
Here’s where I am right now. I got it back and I have small issues that make me question the quality of the work. I’m leaning towards letting it go but we’ll see.

Edit: it’s worth noting they replaced the entire engine for me, not just the cylinder head. I wouldn’t trust these techs do to anything like what the TSB suggests.

I’m on the same page. I planned on keeping the CX-9 in the family for a long time. I’d generally prefer to keep my 2016 Mazda as a matching numbers car, lol. But like Sonic said, if it comes to it I’d be way more comfortable with an entire engine swap than a cylinder head.

@Kedis82ZE8 This TSB looks like it's not for the CX-9 or the 2.5T. This looks like it's for the 2.5NA w/ Cylinder deactivation. Is there a reason to add it here since that engine isn't available on the CX-9?

Here’s where I am right now. I got it back and I have small issues that make me question the quality of the work. I’m leaning towards letting it go but we’ll see.

Edit: it’s worth noting they replaced the entire engine for me, not just the cylinder head. I wouldn’t trust these techs do to anything like what the TSB suggests.
Additional update: I took my car back to them on Monday to try to resolve the headlight warnings and heated steering wheel. Additionally, I discovered some thumping noises that were new, so they are fixing those too. Apparently yet another TSB for strut bump stop (anyone know how to easily look up TSBs?) that they determined needed to be fixed.

For those wondering about the headlights and heated steering wheel thing, the tech told me that there's some sensor in the steering column that helps determine when the adaptive headlights should pivot. He then said he found out that if that sensor malfunctions, the heated steering wheel doesn't work. He didn't understand why it was designed that way, but I guess that's something.

So I'm on loaner car #2 (they gave me a CX-9 Touring this time), and been without my car since Monday with no update on when I'll get it back. I'm more annoyed that they thought it was "good" and ready to return to me with the issues they clearly created a couple weeks ago, but oh well. I guess I'll get it back eventually.

(anyone know how to easily look up TSBs?)

I usually search the NHTSA.gov website. You can input your vehicle year, make and model, and it will return results for recalls, investigations, complaints, and manufacturer communications. Usually TSBs can be found in the manufacturer communications section.

So uh, is anyone else looking at getting the Mazda Extended Confidence warranty now? 😨
I'm seriously considering but reading from the website I'm no longer qualify as my car is now at 46k miles with my 2019 Sig. I emailed Mazda USA and they told me to contact Mazda Financial or dealership.

Just did my oil change couple days ago but wasn't sure where exactly to look for possible leak. I didn't find any signs of coolant residue from the access panel. Maybe someone can help me with extra eye.

Attachments

• PXL_20211215_155458948.jpeg
    PXL_20211215_155458948.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20211215_155530391.jpeg
    PXL_20211215_155530391.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20211215_155448570.jpeg
    PXL_20211215_155448570.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 122
I'm seriously considering but reading from the website I'm no longer qualify as my car is now at 46k miles with my 2019 Sig. I emailed Mazda USA and they told me to contact Mazda Financial or dealership.

Just did my oil change couple days ago but wasn't sure where exactly to look for possible leak. I didn't find any signs of coolant residue from the access panel. Maybe someone can help me with extra eye.
From pictures your 2.5T seems to be fine. But you can check the coolant level more often that should be good enough to catch the early sign of coolant leak at this time.

You can still get one. Just need a dealership inspection

From pictures your 2.5T seems to be fine. But you can check the coolant level more often that should be good enough to catch the early sign of coolant leak at this time.
Thanks, my coolant do disappear since the car was new. I usually top off to the full mark when oil change/car wash and usually it would be down to the middle between full and low by 5000 miles. I raised the issue with dealership before but they were no help.

Back