2007~2015 CX-9 Liftgate latch handle is sticky / not working

:
2010 CX-9 FWD Touring
Liftgate latch handle is sticky / not working on my 2010 Touring w/power liftgate. If you go to open the liftgate, often I find the handle stuck in the open position. I often have to work it closed.

Lubricating the handle indiscriminately (since I can't see well inside the mechanism) works for a couple weeks, then its stuck again. Anyone run across this and have a permanent fix? Thanks!

Last edited:
What are you using as a lubricant?
I used Tri-Flow

Never had this problem, but if I did, a graphite lube would be my go to.
Curiously, my friend who live nearby has 2010 CX-9 without power liftgate, same issue. He lost all his groceries recently on the highway because the liftgate was closed, but the handle stuck in the open position. I wonder if its a road salt thing.

Upvote 0
I used Tri-Flow

Curiously, my friend who live nearby has 2010 CX-9 without power liftgate, same issue. He lost all his groceries recently on the highway because the liftgate was closed, but the handle stuck in the open position. I wonder if its a road salt thing.

I don't think a wet lubricant should be used for door handles/locks. A dry graphite lubricant is what is used from the factory, so mixing that with a wet lubricant could gum up the mechanism. It might be worth looking into disassembling the handle to clean it up and relubricate with graphite lube.

Upvote 0
Being that the latch is internal, I would say no.
then maybe I'm not describing the right part. I'm talking about the liftgate handle on the outside of the liftgate on the back of the car. When you squeeze it to open the liftgate, it stays in open position unless you finagle it back to closed position. I'm constantly wiping salt off that area in the winter, my hands are always filthy from using the handle.

Upvote 0
then maybe I'm not describing the right part. I'm talking about the liftgate handle on the outside of the liftgate on the back of the car. When you squeeze it to open the liftgate, it stays in open position unless you finagle it back to closed position. I'm constantly wiping salt off that area in the winter, my hands are always filthy from using the handle.

Interesting. I don't have a latch, just a pull handle (figured all power liftgates would be the same).
Yes, road salt would play a roll. Graphite will be your friend.

Upvote 0
If ever you want to get to the handle and replace it or clean it. It could also be a dislodged spring.

It’s in the section “security and lock”. That’s for a 2008 but i think they may be the same for 2010.

Upvote 0
i used to have the same problem, you need to take it apart, the shaft gets rusted, take it apart, clean it well and lub it real good but you really need to take it all apart.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack, but to all 9's have a latch handle back there? Mine is just a pull handle, can't unlock/unlatch with it. Wondering if maybe it is seized and needs some love.

Upvote 0
How do you open it then when you are in the back of the truck? I would guess all of them have these, the button to unlock though is next to it and is electric.

Upvote 0
how do you open it then when you are in the back of the truck? i would gues all of them have these, the button to unlock though is next to it and is electric.
I use the keyfob or dash button to open it, as I thought that was the only way. I do have the the unlock button there, but it has never worked. Seemed strange to me that there was no way to open the gate from back there. Will have to look into it some more.

Upvote 0
I have an 08 with the same issue. it has a squeeze handle inside the handle cavity. I need to push it back with my finger tips to get it to latch shut. Even then it doesn't always latch shut and the open door indicator flickers on the dash. It sounds like I need to take it apart which makes me nervous. I picture things not going back together correctly

Upvote 0
Liftgate latch handle is sticky / not working on my 2010 Touring w/power liftgate. If you go to open the liftgate, often I find the handle stuck in the open position. I often have to work it closed.

Lubricating the handle indiscriminately (since I can't see well inside the mechanism) works for a couple weeks, then its stuck again. Anyone run across this and have a permanent fix? Thanks!
I have a 2012 C2X-9. Lift gate handle got sticky. I took the trim off of the inside of the hatch to get to the latch and found the latch axel all rusted. I took it apart which required cutting the head off of the axel, slide it out and lubed it up. Worked for a year and happened again. Took it all apart and replaced the axel with 5/32” drill rod and two speed nuts from hardware store. Gave it some lube and I think it will now last another 100 k miles. The damn latch is like 150 bucks. Poorly designed and very overpriced.

Upvote 0
I took the trim off of the inside of the hatch to get to the latch and found the latch axel all rusted.

I have a replacement handle on the way from realmazdaparts.com . The service manual shows taking almost all the inside trim off the liftgate to replace this handle - is that what you had to do when cleaning it?

My outside handle doesn't work, and I can tell the power liftgate strut is about to detach the door again too :(

Upvote 0
Yes. You have to get the large panel off that has the openings for the tail lights etc. If you were inside the car, looking towards the rear window with the lift gate down, it would be the lower panel.
To remove that panel you must remove the upper frame piece on the center top. That clips in place and you should be able to carefully pop it off.
Then there are the two side moldings. Each has a plastic, center pin/barbed molding rivets. Small screw driver helps to pull the center pin out to release and allow the barbed prongs to collapse and then the rivets will remove. One on each side. Those pieces then remove with pulling pressure they ‘pop’ off. One of the trim pieces has the air helper shock that keeps it dangling. Leave the air helper in place.
Your left with the large panel which has one of those plastic rivets on each side, and the ‘pops’ loose. You need to remove and unplug the wire connectors for the light fixture and the lift gate button. Be careful as the large panel has some delicate parts when removing. A long handled forked trim tool is helpful.
From there, I think you can access the two 10mm nuts that hold the latch in place.
I found that a couple of the fasteners got lost in the process and the plastic rivets get a bit bent when removing so I got some new ones. Using the old ones can be a bit fiddly.
All of this was also part of my exhausting repair of the license plate bolt repair. While you are at the tailgate remove the screws and put some neverseize on them if they are steel or metal against the nuts that are welded to the tailgate skin.

Upvote 0
So I guess this is why my old liftgate handle wasn't working :) I have the power liftgate. Replacement handle from realmazdaparts.com

Wasn't too bad, the hardest part is finding suitable replacement for broken clips.

Attachments

• IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back