Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
I also want to state that aside from the little things that seem out of place, my car drives and runs WAAAAAAAAY better. The idle is so calm and quiet and even with the ac on I don’t feel vibrations when sitting at a stop light. My big concern is I’m taking a 2000 mile trip starting tomorrow and the little details make me worried they missed something and I’ll end up stranded on the side of the road.
Remember to break in the engine. Don't redline and don't coast in a constant RPM.

Thanks for the reminder. They gave me no such advice when I picked it up…
They want to see you often and check how you're doing😂

Granted, modern engines aren't made out of tofu but still good practice to take it easy for the first couple hundred miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-095356_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-095356_Drive.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 104
Given that this thread has gone off topic (at my own fault on occasion), would it make sense to have a resource or thread just for a “engine replacement checklist” where we can all list things that led up to needing the replacement, the things we encountered during the process, and things we found that weren’t right when we got it back so future folks can know what they’re up against? I’m sure a deep re-read of this thread would get that info, but we’re at 21 pages (and counting), so I wouldn’t expect someone to invest that kind of time.

Given that this thread has gone off topic (at my own fault on occasion), would it make sense to have a resource or thread just for a “engine replacement checklist” where we can all list things that led up to needing the replacement, the things we encountered during the process, and things we found that weren’t right when we got it back so future folks can know what they’re up against? I’m sure a deep re-read of this thread would get that info, but we’re at 21 pages (and counting), so I wouldn’t expect someone to invest that kind of time.

I think a separate thread for the bolded part would be a good idea. But IMO I think everything else has some relevance to the thread topic and can stay in here. I'll ask other moderators to have a look though.

s0n1c, have you scanned it for any B or U codes? Some AFS (Adaptive front lighting system) faults trigger codes.

Also, unsure if this helps for steering wheel heater.
1638402544721.png

s0n1c, have you scanned it for any B or U codes? Some AFS (Adaptive front lighting system) faults trigger codes.

Also, unsure if this helps for steering wheel heater.
View attachment 305110
Am I reading this right that there are three fuses in play for the heated steering wheel?

The dealer scanned for codes when I picked it up and they said it didn’t have any so they reset it (not sure how to do that), and it cleared. Once I parked and started it again, the errors came back, basically as the lights attempt to initialize. It happens every time i start the car. I see them start to pivot horizontally, and then return to center and the warnings come on.

I think a separate thread for the bolded part would be a good idea. But IMO I think everything else has some relevance to the thread topic and can stay in here. I'll ask other moderators to have a look though.

I changed the title of the thread to remove the "What can be done to prevent?" portion. I spoke with another moderator who agreed that everything can stay in this thread, because anyone who is researching engine replacement will also want to know about the post-replacement experience.

@youri @sm1ke no dice on the dealership. They won’t release service records because I am not the one who had work done there. The Ford and Toyota dealerships I have asked the same thing of regarding different vehicles were fine with it so not sure why this one won’t. Oh well. Gonna cross my fingers and hope I don’t have to deal with this leak or that it was already taken care of 🤞

@youri @sm1ke no dice on the dealership. They won’t release service records because I am not the one who had work done there. The Ford and Toyota dealerships I have asked the same thing of regarding different vehicles were fine with it so not sure why this one won’t. Oh well. Gonna cross my fingers and hope I don’t have to deal with this leak or that it was already taken care of 🤞
I will note if there are rebuild stickers on my engine and where they're located. They may clue you into if your engine has been replaced.

Traded in my '16 CX5 for an '18 CX9 2.5T the other day with Carvana. Noticed the AC wasn't working but a work order was put in on the spot for it.
Looked over it some more when I got home to notice the coolant reservoir was below L and some kind of leak at the bottom. Found this post and spent hours reading here and looking at pictures and reading the TSB.

Brought the CX9 along with the TSB to a mechanic. Front cylinder head was leaking. Bottom line was that they confirmed it was this issue.

Expecting my 4th child in April and I love the CX9, but this wasn't an issue I was expecting to be dealing with at the moment. Getting my CX5 back on Tuesday. Kinda bittersweet.

Traded in my '16 CX5 for an '18 CX9 2.5T the other day with Carvana. Noticed the AC wasn't working but a work order was put in on the spot for it.
Looked over it some more when I got home to notice the coolant reservoir was below L and some kind of leak at the bottom. Found this post and spent hours reading here and looking at pictures and reading the TSB.

Brought the CX9 along with the TSB to a mechanic. Front cylinder head was leaking. Bottom line was that they confirmed it was this issue.

Expecting my 4th child in April and I love the CX9, but this wasn't an issue I was expecting to be dealing with at the moment. Getting my CX5 back on Tuesday. Kinda bittersweet.

Are they going to fix it and give it back to you? Or are you going to stick with your CX-5?

Are they going to fix it and give it back to you? Or are you going to stick with your CX-5?
Sticking with the CX5 for now. It's a great car, no problems at all.

I didn't really push trying to fix it the CX9. The mechanic said it was over their heads and the SilverRock insurance wanted me to call around and call Mazda to find a place which I assume would be a Mazda dealership. After reading how long it's taking people to get their engines, I decided to schedule a return and get CX5 back.

Now if Carvana fixed it on their time and offered it back to me later down the line, then I would consider trading back for it. But I have a feeling that this CX9 was traded to Carvana for exactly this reason.

But I have a feeling that this CX9 was traded to Carvana for exactly this reason.
Potentially. I did it with my last car. Got an inflated amount thanks to COVID and didn’t have to deal with getting a new transmission or engine. Same type of issue as the CX-9. Coolant in the engine where it shouldn’t be

Potentially. I did it with my last car. Got an inflated amount thanks to COVID and didn’t have to deal with getting a new transmission or engine. Same type of issue as the CX-9. Coolant in the engine where it shouldn’t be
I considered doing this when I heard the timeline for repair. However, I felt bad that someone else could end up with the problem but be in a worse spot to handle getting it corrected. I opted to let it be fixed and then decide if I should keep it.

I considered doing this when I heard the timeline for repair. However, I felt bad that someone else could end up with the problem but be in a worse spot to handle getting it corrected. I opted to let it be fixed and then decide if I should keep it.
If I knew that I had a new engine with the new design, I’d keep it. My previous car had 115k miles on it before it started to lose coolant and was 8 years old when I got rid of it. That vehicle was so prone to coolant leaks that there was a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer. I’m hoping the Mazda 2.5T doesn’t turn out that way…

Far too many CX-9 2.5T motors being replaced. I was one of the early ones little over a year ago, but not related to coolant leaks. It was loss of compression in one of the cylinders.

I had my CX-9 for another 15,000 miles before trading it in for a Bronco. It was fine for those 15,000 miles. No issues.

Good luck to you guys. I hope this problem gets resolved on the production end so we don’t have to see this thread keep growing.

Far too many CX-9 2.5T motors being replaced. I was one of the early ones little over a year ago, but not related to coolant leaks. It was loss of compression in one of the cylinders.

I had my CX-9 for another 15,000 miles before trading it in for a Bronco. It was fine for those 15,000 miles. No issues.

Good luck to you guys. I hope this problem gets resolved on the production end so we don’t have to see this thread keep growing.
Yes we have seen engine replacement several times on the 2.5T due to loss of compression in one of the cylinders.

Well.... it looks like I'll be changing my vote to Yes soon.
Vote just changed to Yes.

Dealership confirmed coolant leak at the cylinder head. Will be replacing the cylinder head per the TSB instead of the whole engine as there was no coolant in the engine.

Covered under warranty. Minimum two weeks in the shop. Will let you know more once they've given me more updates.

Back