2014 is acting...Odd

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Hey everyone. I apologize in advance as this post may be a bit vague, but I am trying to figure out what my 2014 is doing. I bought the car brand new and have cared for it quite well. It now has 101,000kms on it, or around 60k miles. I'm starting to become aware that the car isn't acting the same as it was. It almost seems like it's slightly down on power. It's running fine, not missing or sputtering and there's no trouble codes in the system, but it just feels like it's being sluggish, and that is made worse by the car's incessant desire to upshift into the highest gear possible, which is something it's always done, it just seems more noticeable now because of whatever is going on with it. Also, the downshift as I'm slowing down seems more aggressive. Not that the transmission is doing anything different, it's a seat of the pants feeling that it's noticeably downshifting. As I said. It's just being "different" I don't really know where to start with it and I'm looking for some thoughts here from anyone who may have ran into this and possibly discovered the culprit.
Thanks in advance.

Has the tranny fluid ever been replaced? What about spark plugs?
What brand of gas do you use?
How does it run when you drive it aggressively?
Not sure but does that model year have sport mode, if so does it seem better under sport?

Has the tranny fluid ever been replaced? What about spark plugs?
What brand of gas do you use?
How does it run when you drive it aggressively?
Not sure but does that model year have sport mode, if so does it seem better under sport?

No to the tranny fluid, the spark plugs are original and not due for about another 20k according to the service manual. I use regular 87 octane gas and have since new, it seems to act fine when driven aggressively but I did notice a hint of a shake under full throttle when I was playing around with it in manual mode this morning. Not sure if that is normal for this car or not because I rarely drive it like that. No sport mode. I wish it did have it.

My first move would be a drain and fill on the trans fluid. You need to do it two to three times over the course of a month to get most of the old fluid out.
I'd at least remove a few plugs and take a look at their condition. If they look OK then wait to replace.
Another option would be to disconnect the battery for about an hour then re-connect and drive it like it's stolen for a few days. This way the ECU learns your new driving style and may eliminate the sluggishness.

The car is programmed to get to the highest gear as soon as possible.

You could always pop for a new Turbo. It's a different experience from the regular 2.5.

I second wlong01's recommendations.
If gear shifting is the main issue here (sounded like),
ATF and/or disconnect (-) terminal for 30 secs or more (which resets computer history).
The former is to deal with dirty fluid in transmission.
The latter is aimed to reset whatever grade logic it has learned over the years. Reset back to factory default.

Then, there might be other possibilities.
Spark plugs... intake valve deposits, etc.

As some wise person on this forum suggested.... start from the cheaper fix.

I did actually disconnect the negative terminal a few days ago, Didn't seem to make much difference. I may drain and fill the trans this weekend and probably pull the plugs and inspect

If you choose to change the tranny fluid, be sure to only use the correct Mazda fluid for the Skyactiv tranny, not earlier Mazda's. I take it that you have a source for it and are aware of the cost. It's not the stuff at Walmart or Autozone. And do a search on this forum, there is a lot of information on this subject regarding member's experiences, refill quantities, recommended transmission temperature to check level, etc.

*Update* It is a little bit more chilly here this morning and I'm noticing these symptoms are worse in the cold. It's almost acting like the old days of the carbureted vehicles with a bad choke before they warmed up. the throttle response isn't as good and it almost feels like it's hesitating for a second when I step on the gas

If you choose to change the tranny fluid, be sure to only use the correct Mazda fluid for the Skyactiv tranny, not earlier Mazda's. I take it that you have a source for it and are aware of the cost. It's not the stuff at Walmart or Autozone. And do a search on this forum, there is a lot of information on this subject regarding member's experiences, refill quantities, recommended transmission temperature to check level, etc.

I have a source here in Canada from a place called Canadian Tire. It's a multi vehicle type but it's listed on the back as an OEM replacement for the Mazda FZ fluid and it's $15 a liter

Back