Caliper Paint - suggestions please

Just picked up 2019 CX-5 Signature a month ago from CarMax. My 30 day/1,500 mile return period is over and I'm stuck.
On both front wheels, the calipers have some light RUST on them. The car had spent 2 1/2 years in So Cal desert area, Riverside, CA, have no idea how the rust happened.

Anyway, need to remove the rust and going to paint either the whole rusted caliper or just the rusted area if I can match the color. Can anyone help me to a matching color or good high temp paint suggestion, please!

Attachments

• FL.jpg
    FL.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 95
  • FR.jpg
    FR.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 89
I suggest painting the entire calipers gloss black, I have used Rustoleum Engine Enamel spray paint on calipers and it works just as good as the much more expensive "caliper paint".

Just picked up 2019 CX-5 Signature a month ago from CarMax. My 30 day/1,500 mile return period is over and I'm stuck.
On both front wheels, the calipers have some light RUST on them. The car had spent 2 1/2 years in So Cal desert area, Riverside, CA, have no idea how the rust happened.

Anyway, need to remove the rust and going to paint either the whole rusted caliper or just the rusted area if I can match the color. Can anyone help me to a matching color or good high temp paint suggestion, please!
This first:

then this:

You can choose gray or several different colors(black is nice. low key)

Try to get some of the rust off, you can scrub with wire brush. Absolutely do not use any commercial rust removers at all, ever as may damage/eat the brake boots and line. Sand with 220 grit... clean with brake cleaner, wipe, then use 400/600 grit. brake cleaner, wipe, alcohol , let dry. primer, dry, paint 2 or 3 color finish coats(appropriate dry time between coats). Clear-coats optional. Tape your pin boots and any rubber, lines, etc. from over-spray. Drive car to bake the paint.

If you're painting the caliper, might as well do the rotor hat while your at it.

Did the rust removal once in past, but have usually run out the rusted ones til needed new, then either purchased painted calipers or painted new ones before installed them. Way easier that way.

you can remove them or leave them installed to paint... but be careful to not get any overspray on your car, I've always painted new ones while off before install. paint travels and too close to the body for me. The one time did rust removal and paint, removed the caliper from the vehicle first.

Also if I did this now, I might try a spray rust converter like Rust-Oleum Rusty metal primer but now sure how it would hold up to the heat.

There are plenty of videos now to watch and see the process, Just google and you-tube. Again, for anyone reading this... do your own research and use the proper PPE/respirator.

*** I don't recommend this but in the past, when I needed to remove the rust from caliper, I removed the caliper from vehicle and used vinegar gel (heated vinegar and corn starch) very SPARINGLY on the deep rust areas...scrubbing it with wire brush and AVOIDING the pin boots, piston rubber seal, etc. Wiped off gel with cloth then sprayed with brake cleaner.
Again I can't recommend this as vinegar can damage the rubber just like commercial rust removers. ***

Last edited:
Sorry about your experience. Can I please urge everyone to get a pre-purchase inspection on any used car purchase, even a CPO from a dealer - since batteries and brakes are usually considered a wear item and not covered. Or with Carmax or Carvana, a post purchase inspection within the return period.

I had an inspection after my Carmax purchase, they found the battery with 25% life left. Went back to CM and they installed a new battery

It's well worth the $69 (el-cheapo) to $159 for a PPI as they will find things that you can't find yourself.

OEM calipers do NOT get hot enough to require high heat paint. Just get a can of brush on Rustoleum acrylic paint from Home Depot or Lowes, clean them best you can, and paint them up. Clean and reapply when you perform your break pad changes or during annual brake inspections.

Thanks all for the great ideas. I didn't do PPI, but I was well aware of the rust, as it was not significant (at least for me) since the CX-5 spent its entire life in southern CA desert area, or most of it. And the price was significantly lower to reflect the imperfections, as I always take chance for lower cost. I have not taken brakes apart, but took the front tires off and inspected the rusted area, it's small area indeed and the rust is only on surface.

Now, wondering if it's easier to paint with brush or using spray? I understand it's all preparation and preparation which takes more time and effort than the actual painting.
I've been living my entire life in rust free west, never had to replace calipers or had to paint them.

Thanks all for the great ideas. I didn't do PPI, but I was well aware of the rust, as it was not significant (at least for me) since the CX-5 spent its entire life in southern CA desert area, or most of it. And the price was significantly lower to reflect the imperfections, as I always take chance for lower cost. I have not taken brakes apart, but took the front tires off and inspected the rusted area, it's small area indeed and the rust is only on surface.

Now, wondering if it's easier to paint with brush or using spray? I understand it's all preparation and preparation which takes more time and effort than the actual painting.
I've been living my entire life in rust free west, never had to replace calipers or had to paint them.
Prep is most important. If you want it to last, do the whole thing, get the rust off well, then spray paint it. Then touch it up as needed. Best solution is to get powder-coated calipers if you can afford it.

A can of liquid will cost you just as much/more than spray. Get the spray...paint it outside and wear PPE. I've known a few body shop guys did their paintwork without masks cause they had fresh air blown into the workspace. Later in life they had multiple serious health problems most likely result of paint and fume inhalation.

You can also use the spray for painting your grill or other things. Or save it for painting new calipers. Turn upside down and purge 5-10 seconds then put in plastic ziplock.

Or you can just touch it up for now(it won't last as long) and then buy new calipers when time comes. If your just touching up then you could just paint brush the rusted spots but then you need to decide what to do with the rest of the paint.

Also cost/benefit analysis on high temp paint versus regular is not that much more...not sure if color would hold up.. you can decide whether a few bucks more is worth it.

Last edited:
Back