Mazda3 Dash lights up like a Christmas tree, temporary loss of electric power

YelPro03

:
2015 Mazda 3s Touring
I have a 2015 3s Touring (2.5L SkyActive) hatchback with a 6-speed manual transmission. Last week while driving on a highway the BSM light flashed on my dash, my stereo skipped for a second or two. Since my car has a manual transmission it normally displays what gear you're in but that stopped. It still drove fine so I continued on my way to work. On my way home well into my drive it did it again on the highway. Then on just about every drive it'll do that except last night instead of just the BSM being on, the dash light up like a Christmas tree, the electric power steering lost power a bid and I had to fight to steer, the stereo had no sound, but was still able to drive. All the warning lights go off and drives like normal but again, no gear indicator, power window works but no auto up or down. The battery is only about 2 years old so I don't think it's that. Has anyone had something like that happen or know what it might be? Thanks.

I would not assume that the battery is NOT faulty. Does your car have a super capacitor? In any case, you should try to rotate each battery terminal connector to see if either one is loose.

I would not assume that the battery is NOT faulty. Does your car have a super capacitor? In any case, you should try to rotate each battery terminal connector to see if either one is loose.
My car is bone stock so whatever it comes with is what I got. When you asked about the super capacitor I assume it's for a sub-woofer or something? If so then I don't have it as the stereo is the stock Bose system. I'm not sure what you mean by rotate each battery terminal connector. I mean the battery has a positive terminal and a negative terminal, that's it. Did you mean moving the terminals back and forth to make sure the connection is tight?

Yes, you should not be able to grab either battery terminal connector and rotate it. If you can, it requires tightening.
Here's an explanation of the capacitor in my Mazda 3:
I believe it was used for only a few years, starting in 2014. Only top trim levels had this option, I believe.

Mazda Motor Corporation has developed the world’s first passenger vehicle regenerative braking system that uses a capacitor. The groundbreaking system, which Mazda calls ‘i-ELOOP’, will begin to appear in Mazda’s vehicles in 2012. In real-world driving conditions with frequent acceleration and braking, ‘i- ELOOP’ improves fuel economy by approximately 10 percent.

Mazda’s regenerative braking system is unique because it uses a capacitor, which is an electrical component that temporarily stores large volumes of electricity. Compared to batteries, capacitors can be charged and discharged rapidly and are resistant to deterioration through prolonged use. ‘i-ELOOP’ efficiently converts the vehicle’s kinetic energy into electricity as it decelerates, and uses the electricity to power the climate control, audio system and numerous other electrical components.

Regenerative braking systems are growing in popularity as a fuel saving technology. They use an electric motor or alternator to generate electricity as the vehicle decelerates, thereby recovering a portion of the vehicle’s kinetic energy. Regenerative braking systems in hybrid vehicles generally use a large electric motor and dedicated battery.

Mazda examined automobile accelerating and decelerating mechanisms, and developed a highly efficient regenerative braking system that rapidly recovers a large amount of electricity every time the vehicle decelerates. Unlike hybrids, Mazda’s system also avoids the need for a dedicated electric motor and battery.

12-25V variable voltage alternator DC/DC Converter Electric Double Layer Capacitor Mazda’s ‘i-ELOOP’ regenerative braking system ‘i-ELOOP ’ features a new 12 -25V variable voltage alternator, a low -resistance electric double layer capacitor and a DC/DC converter. ‘i-ELOOP’ starts to recover kinetic energy the moment the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to decelerate. The variable voltage alternator generates electricity at up to 25V for maximum efficiency before sending it to the Electric Double Layer Capacitor (EDLC) for storage. The capacitor, which has been specially developed for use in a vehicle, can be fully charged in seconds. The DC/DC converter steps down the electricity from 25V to 12V before it is distributed directly to the vehicle’s electrical components. The system also charges the vehicle battery as necessary. ‘i-ELOOP’ operates whenever the vehicle decelerates, reducing the need for the engine to burn extra fuel to generate electricity. As a result, in “stop-and-go” driving conditions, fuel economy improves by approximately 10 percent.

The name ’i-ELOOP’ is an adaptation of “Intelligent Energy Loop” and represents Mazda’s intention to efficiently cycle energy in an intelligent way.

Yes, you should not be able to grab either battery terminal connector and rotate it. If you can, it requires tightening.
Here's an explanation of the capacitor in my Mazda 3:
I believe it was used for only a few years, starting in 2014. Only top trim levels had this option, I believe.
Thanks. I'll double check the terminals to make sure they're nice and tight. As for the i-ELOOP using a capacitor, I don't think mine has it.

Exact same symptoms for my 2009 Mazda 3. Dashboard lights, radio had problems, loss of steering. After stopping and waiting 10 minutes, restarted and ran fine. Repeat loss of power steering on following days.

My battery was 5 years old. I replaced it and no further problems.

I've had similar issue on my old CX-5. It turned out to be the weak battery connections. Check the battery terminals, clean the corrosion and tighten the bolts and you should be fine.

Dear friends,
I've just posted here...

Good detective work on finding the potential source of drain>

Back