2016~2023 Front Brake Pad Question / Issue

Hey everyone. I have a 2019 CX9 GT.

Just had the TSB done on my brakes for the clicking.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173099-0001.pdf

They installed the little protectors and it stopped the click. However while they were in there I took a further look and noticed the gaps from the brake pad to the mounting hardware. The brake pads look like they are not cut properly for the CX9. Looked at a bunch of other CX9s on the dealers lot and all looked the same. Doesn’t make sense to me why there would be so much room in there. Looks like a design failure. I asked my service department to send it up to Mazda to see their response.

Does anyone have any inputs on this?

Attachments

• A67F2FF9-721F-4E60-9D06-0175D985473C.jpeg
    A67F2FF9-721F-4E60-9D06-0175D985473C.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 1976D77E-066E-436D-AC3C-F3F08C4E2F87.jpeg
    1976D77E-066E-436D-AC3C-F3F08C4E2F87.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Pads need to 'float' to some extent in their brackets. When properly installed you can easily slide them back and forth on the guides. That's why those stainless steel guides are there; to facilitate their movement back and forth. If they don't float they remain in contact with the rotor leading to overheating and glazing.

I'd say yours are properly installed and sized based on the images you provided.

Pads need to 'float' to some extent in their brackets. When properly installed you can easily slide them back and forth on the guides. That's why those stainless steel guides are there; to facilitate their movement back and forth. If they don't float they remain in contact with the rotor leading to overheating and glazing.

I'd say yours are properly installed and sized based on the images you provided.
I never seen that much room for a brake pad to move. I’ve installed many brake pads and they are tight with the hardware. The rears are how I’m used to it fitting. Brake pads should not move within the caliper as that would lead to safety issues with the pads moving around.

Does anyone have any input on this? It’s a bit of a concern to me and Mazda dealer sent it up to corporate. They were given the run around right now. Wanted to get others inputs.

Back