Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Currently on the phone with Mazda USA Corporate. Mazda is aware that this is a systemic issue affecting some 2019 and earlier 2.5L Skyactiv Turbo engines.

If it's only a matter of time until every 2.5T has to be replaced, I don't know how Mazda absorbs all that cost and producing all those replacement engines. There's going to be severe damage to their bottom line, at a time when capital is needed to compete with a quickly changing auto industry. Plus, those replacement engines will have to be made after Mazda isn't even making them anymore for new models (with the inline 6 coming).

Mazda has some experience with replacing large numbers of engines. If this becomes a truly widespread issue, I would imagine they will set up a remanufacturing shop and start shipping remanufactured engines to people who experience this failure. They did this before with the rotaries in the RX-7 and RX-8.

Reactions: JPL
If it's only a matter of time until every 2.5T has to be replaced, I don't know how Mazda absorbs all that cost and producing all those replacement engines. There's going to be severe damage to their bottom line, at a time when capital is needed to compete with a quickly changing auto industry. Plus, those replacement engines will have to be made after Mazda isn't even making them anymore for new models (with the inline 6 coming).

The thing is, it doesn't look like a widespread issue *so far*. I guess my recent comparison is Honda's 1.5T oil dilution issue, that one definitely went mainstream.

ICYMI Mazda did just partner up with Toyota.

Also, (established) manufacturers don't immediately stop production of parts when related models are replaced until a number of years. Moreover, the latest Mazda 3 uses the same 2.5T engine and is going to be in production for a while. The current CX-5 will also be staying for a little more bit, overlapping with the replacement model.

That is a good plan, but I don't think it relates to these coolant leaks. A turbocharger is a gas turbine with a centrifugal air compressor on the same shaft. The hot exhaust gas spins the gas turbine section, the shaft spins the air compressor, and the compressor pumps more air into the engine's induction system so it can burn more fuel with the correct fuel to air ratio. The heat from the hot exhaust gas gets the turbo part so hot that if shut off right after a hot, heavy run the oil can bake to carbon and damage bearings and seals. That's why the short cool-down period with the engine idling works, the circulating oil and coolant carries the excess heat away. I don't tow or carry heavy loads, so the main time I think about a cool down is when pulling directly into a highway rest stop after a high speed run.

I was actually thinking more of the (extra) thermal fatigue to the block introduced by turbocharging, but yes I see what you mean. The average person isn't exactly mindful of these concepts (oh science!) and just want to start/stop their vehicle when they want to -- which is totally understandable.

New engine gang!

PYZ3-02A-300D is on my parts list:

35XNEcN.jpg

R2NtVr1.jpg
Thats the same engine part number as the engine they installed in mine.....late July.

Mazda has some experience with replacing large numbers of engines. If this becomes a truly widespread issue, I would imagine they will set up a remanufacturing shop and start shipping remanufactured engines to people who experience this failure. They did this before with the rotaries in the RX-7 and RX-8.

Speaking as the owner of several RX-7s and as a Moderator over at the RX-7 club, the rotary got a bad rap from people who abused and neglected it.

Its problems are not a build quality issue, but rather a complete failure of it's inherent design and the laws of physics.

I still love those damn things for some reason.

Please don't build boring cars.

I cross-shopped the Highlander when buying my CX-9. There's a reason I ended up in the Mazda. Toyotas are freaking appliances. They're reliable and do the job, but they're the automotive equivalent of Valium. I want a fun to drive car.

I pray that Mazda stands behind their slogans:
"Driving matters"
"Feel Alive"
"Zoom Zoom"
"Passion for the road"
"Soul of a sports car"
"Get in, Be moved."

Yes, I've owned Mazdas over almost my entire driving career. Their vintage spans my entire lifetime from the early-mid 1980s to present day.
Even the 2003 MPV Minivan I had was sporty.
Even the 1989 B2600i 4x4 pickup truck I had was sporty.

I got someone from Mazda of NA and they expedited my engine. Now it’s in transit to the dealer and should arrive next week, and I hope to have my car back by thanksgiving!

What dealership are you at? (If you don't mind me asking.)

What dealership are you at? (If you don't mind me asking.)
Rosenthal Gaithersburg Mazda. They said they only had one other before mine like this so I don’t think they’re a high volume dealer. I only went there because it’s the closest to my house, but it’s not where I bought either of my Mazdas.

Speaking as the owner of several RX-7s and as a Moderator over at the RX-7 club, the rotary got a bad rap from people who abused and neglected it.

Its problems are not a build quality issue, but rather a complete failure of it's inherent design and the laws of physics.

I was not trying to impugn the rotary engine or Mazda's implementation. I am well aware of the Wankel's quirks. If Mazda every releases something more in line with the FD RX-7 and makes me forget the RX-8, I'll be first in line.

I still love those damn things for some reason.
You just contradicted yourself. You said the reasons of total failure on Mazda’s rotary engines are inherent design and the laws of physics which I totally agree. But why the failure has anything to do with owner’s abuse and negligence? Every engine even the most reliable ones, will have problems by owner’s abuse and negligence.

What amazed me was Mazda put the rotary engine in mass production since 1960’s, where nobody else could do for a good design on paper, and kept doing it until the engine had totally failed in 1990’s due to the unacceptable fuel consumption and horsepower ratio in addition to unsolvable reliability and emission issues. Yes, Ford rescued Mazda from bankruptcy and we can still enjoy Mazda products nowadays, but I’m afraid that Mazda now is heading to the wrong direction again by trying too hard to be different from everybody else, such as adding the cylinder deactivation with bad reputation to the 2.5L I4, the American’s First, and developed the industry first SPCCI / SkyActiv-X engine, another engine based on simple and good design on paper (HCCI) like the rotary engine but it has become very expensive and complicated engine which can’t even make it available in the US market!

I cross-shopped the Highlander when buying my CX-9. There's a reason I ended up in the Mazda. Toyotas are freaking appliances. They're reliable and do the job, but they're the automotive equivalent of Valium. I want a fun to drive car.
Unfortunately most car owners nowadays don’t care if their car is an appliance or not. In addition, most cars on the market have caught up on performance and they drive fine in most cases.

I pray that Mazda stands behind their slogans:
"Driving matters"
"Feel Alive"
"Zoom Zoom"
"Passion for the road"
"Soul of a sports car"
"Get in, Be moved."

Yes, I've owned Mazdas over almost my entire driving career. Their vintage spans my entire lifetime from the early-mid 1980s to present day.
Yes, Mazda is an excellent car manufacture from Japan. They have featured many good vehicles and can be fine examples in car history.

Even the 2003 MPV Minivan I had was sporty.
Even the 1989 B2600i 4x4 pickup truck I had was sporty.
Mazda MPV was an excellent product in 1980’s, and is the pioneer of the once very popular minivans. Almost every family with kids had one at the time. But one MPV which was owned by a relative had the seat cushion on front passenger seat somehow moved backward and fell out of the position which I thought the problem is very odd.

You just contradicted yourself. You said the reasons of total failure on Mazda’s rotary engines are inherent design and the laws of physics which I totally agree. But why the failure has anything to do with owner’s abuse and negligence? Every engine even the most reliable ones, will have problems by owner’s abuse and negligence.

One of my 1985 and my 1986 RX-7s both have around 200K well flogged on miles on them as as far as I can tell, they're on their original engines, trannies, and the 1986 is on its original clutch... I got them with extensive paperwork.

They require clean oil and as far as I can tell, they had the oil changed every 5-7k miles.
They foul sparkplugs and require those changed every 15-30K miles.

Compare this to something like a Honda EW or D series engine, of which I've owned a few that I've hauled out of the scrapyard with oil looking like black applesauce, 100K miles on the plugs... I flog on them as hard as I do my rotaries.

They literally run on neglect and abuse.
Just don't forget that timing belt.
What amazed me was Mazda put the rotary engine in mass production since 1960’s, where nobody else could do for a good design on paper, and kept doing it until the engine had totally failed in 1990’s due to the unacceptable fuel consumption and horsepower ratio in addition to unsolvable reliability and emission issues.
It failed because the only way to get any sort of useful power of of the rotary is to force feed it. I know of plenty of RX-7 owners making 500+ HP, but they're all on boost.

The RX-8's Renesis engine is about the pinnacle of normally aspirated rotary development and it makes shy of 250 HP. A modest Nissan VQ35DE engine makes that, and that's in your average sedan and minivan.

Yes, Ford rescued Mazda from bankruptcy and we can still enjoy Mazda products nowadays, but I’m afraid that Mazda now is heading to the wrong direction again by trying too hard to be different from everybody else, such as adding the cylinder deactivation with bad reputation to the 2.5L I4, the American’s First, and developed the industry first SPCCI / SkyActiv-X engine, another engine based on simple and good design on paper (HCCI) like the rotary engine but it has become very expensive and complicated engine which can’t even make it available in the US market!

Unfortunately most car owners nowadays don’t care if their car is an appliance or not. In addition, most cars on the market have caught up on performance and they drive fine in most cases.

Yes, Mazda is an excellent car manufacture from Japan. They have featured many good vehicles and can be fine examples in car history.
Mazda also loves to experiment and explore engine technologies... The Atkinson and Miller cycle engines are in their fleet as well.

It's another reason why I like Mazda.

Sadly, I think you're right about them heading in the wrong direction.

However, they ARE in the business of making mass produced cars... Not niche market curios for fanboys and enthusiasts...

We're a dying breed, my friend. :(

Sadly, I think you're right about them heading in the wrong direction.

However, they ARE in the business of making mass produced cars... Not niche market curios for fanboys and enthusiasts...

On the other hand, Mazda is moving to a native rear wheel drive platform with a longitudinal inline 6. This is definitely the right direction if you are an enthusiast.

I remember Mazda used to be called the "Japanese BMW" by some car magazines. They might actually start making better BMWs than BMW - they have gotten fat and ugly.

On the other hand, Mazda is moving to a native rear wheel drive platform with a longitudinal inline 6. This is definitely the right direction if you are an enthusiast.

I remember Mazda used to be called the "Japanese BMW" by some car magazines. They might actually start making better BMWs than BMW - they have gotten fat and ugly.
Yeah, but the promised、complicated and costly Mazda SkyActiv-X SPCCI 3.0L Inline-6 with supercharger + 48V mild hybrid produces only 300 hp and 253 ft-lb.

Next-gen CX-5: Rumors from Japan

With this engine in the RWD platform, do you really believe it’s capable of being a BMW beater?

Yeah, but the promised、complicated and costly Mazda SkyActiv-X SPCCI 3.0L Inline-6 with supercharger + 48V mild hybrid produces only 300 hp and 253 ft-lb.

Next-gen CX-5: Rumors from Japan

With this engine in the RWD platform, do you really believe it’s capable of being a BMW beater?
Hey everyone, I like this conversation, but could you start a new thread discussing future engines?

Sorry to hear engine replacements are becoming more of an issue.

I think I was an early victim. My 2017 had its engine replaced at 45,000 just over a year ago. I’ve got about 62,000 on the clock right now. It’s been fine ever since, but I didn’t have a cracked head or coolant leak. It was loss of compression in one of the cylinders. No further explanation was given.

If all goes well, in the coming weeks, I’ll be trading it in. First time w/o a Mazda in my driveway in 16 years.

It’s been fine ever since, but I didn’t have a cracked head or coolant leak. It was loss of compression in one of the cylinders.
Yes, saw a few such reports on loss of compression before on the 2.5T which also resulted engine replacement.

Back