Manual transmission

Hey I’m looking for a manual transmission swap if anyone knows someone selling one. My automatic transmission is going out.
I don't want to be off-putting, but to be completely honest, I don't know that you're going to get a lot of help on here with a project like that. With these cars being as old and relatively cheap as they are, I would think that most people would just buy a factory manual.

With that said, I'm certain that it is both possible and has been done and documented by someone in the past on here. Dig around and see what you can find, and let us know how it goes.

Edit: I realize I may be misreading your post. If you're asking about purchasing a manual trans, then you probably have the other stuff at least somewhat figured out (or you're willing to take the gamble). The WTB and For sale sections on here are a good place to look/post. Good luck!

I don't want to be off-putting, but to be completely honest, I don't know that you're going to get a lot of help on here with a project like that. With these cars being as old and relatively cheap as they are, I would think that most people would just buy a factory manual.

With that said, I'm certain that it is both possible and has been done and documented by someone in the past on here. Dig around and see what you can find, and let us know how it goes.

Edit: I realize I may be misreading your post. If you're asking about purchasing a manual trans, then you probably have the other stuff at least somewhat figured out (or you're willing to take the gamble). The WTB and For sale sections on here are a good place to look/post. Good luck!
Yeah I was looking to buy one, I just did now I just need to find a few more parts for the transmission I’ll check the sale section. Thank you.

If beyond the transmission your P5 is in otherwise good shape, it makes sense to convert it from an automatic to manual. I enjoy driving my P5 more than my ND Miata, and that's down to the manual transmission. You'll need a new ECU or a re-flash of your current ECU as you already probably know.

The differences between engine mounts for automatic and manual P5's has been discussed a lot on this forum (with good reason), and you may have to buy one or two new mounts as well.

If beyond the transmission your P5 is in otherwise good shape, it makes sense to convert it from an automatic to manual. I enjoy driving my P5 more than my ND Miata, and that's down to the manual transmission. You'll need a new ECU or a re-flash of your current ECU as you already probably know.

The differences between engine mounts for automatic and manual P5's has been discussed a lot on this forum (with good reason), and you may have to buy one or two new mounts as well.
Thank you. I just started tearing it all apart the engine and transmission came with the ecu thankfully. But I need just the rear mount and the other one connected straight to the trans right?

Well, that's the weird part. The engine mount on the *passenger* side is supposedly different between the manual and automatic transmissions. Please do search this forum for discussion on that and hopefully others will jump in on this thread. If I recall correctly, most of the Amazon/whatever kits containing four mounts are made for automatics. I've replaced three of my four mounts with Mazda OEM mounts as I didn't want to revisit them only a few years later. They're probably the most valuable part of my car at this point. :D

Well, that's the weird part. The engine mount on the *passenger* side is supposedly different between the manual and automatic transmissions. Please do search this forum for discussion on that and hopefully others will jump in on this thread. If I recall correctly, most of the Amazon/whatever kits containing four mounts are made for automatics. I've replaced three of my four mounts with Mazda OEM mounts as I didn't want to revisit them only a few years later. They're probably the most valuable part of my car at this point. :D
Thank you I’ll do some research and find out what I need to do. 😂 that’s crazy how did you find the Mazda oem ones

Thank you I’ll do some research and find out what I need to do. 😂 that’s crazy how did you find the Mazda oem ones
Easy, I just went to the Mazda dealer and gave them money. :) Each mount was between $100 and $200 apiece if I remember correctly. I didn't want to go aftermarket for the rear because it would be a pain if I had to replace that one again. I didn't want to go aftermarket for the passenger because I might end up with an auto-trans mount. And overall, I didn't want cheap rubber parts as they might give up in a few years and/or make the car have too much NVH. If I were buying them now, I'd first try to find them on eBay from a place that liquidates parts store inventories. That's how I got my genuine Mazda end links for $20 - $30 apiece.

For that passenger side mount, unless the seller specifies that it's for a manual, don't buy it. And even if they do say it's for a manual, do your homework and don't simply trust them. From what I've read on the forum, the two parts are just *slightly* different. Unfortunately, they're similar enough that you might use the wrong one and it will "work" if you force it to work.

Back