2016 CX5 GT windshield cracked by itself

I am getting windshield replaced for free from insurance company, but crap how common is this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_105326753_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211027_105326753_HDR.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 98
There’s an epidemic of 5 year old windshields cracking randomly. Haven’t you seen the thousands of posts about it?

Hard to tell since the windshield is so dirty but it looks like there is possible an impact mark just above the wiper line on the crack which could be an origination point. Something initiated the crack, it didn’t just randomly crack after 5 years in the car. not sure what a Camero is, but if it was a Camaro, maybe that car kicked up a rock while passing you.

Nope no rock hit the windshield, the Camaro just zoomed fast past me I heard a really loud pop sound, and I saw my windshield slowly just crack, when I went out just now the crack has gotten even worse by itself.

I'm glad insurance fixes it, unless it affects your rates.

One of the cracks in my windshield seemed to crack spontaneously, although there is a small mark in the crack. It could be a small projectile but it would have come out of nowhere. I wonder if when the glass cracked a small chip just splintered from some kind of pressure.

There are other reports on this forum like this.

If I get a new windshield I will pay close attention to the type and brand.

It crazy I use to have 2015 Mazda 6 before this I remember Rock hit my windshield on the highway really hard and it just had a small scratch, car runs pass me fast on the highway and the cx-5 windshield crack damn lol. I have state farm so there glass coverage does not affect my insurance.

Back