Any reason I should not leave the USB drive in the USB port permanently?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I have downloaded a CD/DVD to a USB and it plays beautifully in my CX-5. Is there any reason I should not leave the USB drive in the USB port permanently? Ed

I leave mine in for long periods of time, not permanently, but they stay plugged in till I change them out. I actually have two USB drives plugged in most of the time.

I leave mine in for weeks at a time, only effect seems to be a little slower loading of infotainment screen, because it loads the thumbdrive, bluetooth phone, nav..

I have downloaded a CD/DVD to a USB and it plays beautifully in my CX-5. Is there any reason I should not leave the USB drive in the USB port permanently? Ed
I had left a Kingston 32GB memory stick to a Sony unit in my 1998 Honda CR-V for a short period of time in hot Texas summer. The stick could no longer read properly and I lost hundreds of songs without a backup copy. To be fair, I didn’t put up the sunshade at the time, and the memory stick got exposed directly under the sun. I’ll never leave the memory stick in the car when the temperature is hot.

Last edited:
I had left a Kingston 32GB memory stick to a Sony unit in my 1998 Honda CR-V for a short period in hot Texas summer. The stick could no longer read properly and I lost hundreds of songs without a backup copy. To be fair, I didn’t put up the sunshade at the time, and the memory trick got exposed directly under the sun. I’ll never leave the memory stick in the car when the temperature is hot.
Sounds like when I left tapes on the front seat of my car in HS. Came out after being in class, and they were melted!

1623372775282.png

I leave a 1st gen ipod plugged in and the only thing that bugs me is that the system recognizes and connects it before it does my phone to AA. But if I unplug it, the system boots quicker..

What USB Stick do you use in your car? I have tried a couple and cant get it to recognize anything is plugged into it.

I use 16 gb USB 2.0 sticks made by Cruzer Glide and MOSDART. You do have to format them first in FAT32. I make files from my CD collection in FLAC WAV files and put them in folders by artist on my desktop. Then it is a simple matter to copy to the USB sticks. I have three of them in my car, two I leave plugged in except when using a cord from the phone for a WAZE app for example.
It think I have well over 1500 songs on the three sticks combined which is fine for me. Using larger memory size USB sticks is convenient but also means it takes longer to boot up. 16 gb seems to be a sweet spot with Mazda's software.

I use 16 gb USB 2.0 sticks made by Cruzer Glide and MOSDART. You do have to format them first in FAT32. I make files from my CD collection in FLAC WAV files and put them in folders by artist on my desktop. Then it is a simple matter to copy to the USB sticks. I have three of them in my car, two I leave plugged in except when using a cord from the phone for a WAZE app for example.
It think I have well over 1500 songs on the three sticks combined which is fine for me. Using larger memory size USB sticks is convenient but also means it takes longer to boot up. 16 gb seems to be a sweet spot with Mazda's software.

Does Mazda allow WAV playback through the factory infotainment or require an app through Carplay/Android Auto?

I use 320kbps MP3s on a low profile flash drive when I use the factory infotainment and play FLAC files through Vox (free app) on Carplay.

Back