What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

I found it here and it looks like they ship anywhere in the world šŸ˜
Thank you so much for this Euro site that ships to US. I wonder if I can find ALL the parts necessary for power sliding doors and power tail gate and ship them to USA. That said, this same site also sells pants and clothing? So it seems very suspicious

Thank you so much for this Euro site that ships to US. I wonder if I can find ALL the parts necessary for power sliding doors and power tail gate and ship them to USA. That said, this same site also sells pants and clothing? So it seems very suspicious
Yes I was thinking the same lol. That's why I haven't ordered yet. Iv been looking for a different site

I'm also thinking that it is a very good possibility that the European spec PJB's and BCM's are different from the North American models.

Personally, because of that possibility, I'm no longer interested in the mod. No way I'm risking burning a BCM for something as trivial as three flashes.

I'm also thinking that it is a very good possibility that the European spec PJB's and BCM's are different from the North American models.

Personally, because of that possibility, I'm no longer interested in the mod. No way I'm risking burning a BCM for something as trivial as three flashes.
Any chance to convert your Mazda 5 into an EV? It would be a good thread when someone says something like Mazda 5 is smaller than the normal minivan but gets the similar mpg.

I would never do that. If I wanted an electric vehicle, I'd buy one.
Lots of people do conversions to EV on non-EV chassis. Usually from buying all the components from a totalled EV and modifying something else. Sure itā€™s a bit of a niche.

Just like there are people who will rebuild motors, install turbos or superchargers. They could go buy a car that has those things, but some like to tinker.

I understand it can be done, there's no such thing as "can't", that's why they make torches and hammers! It's just I personally would never do it, and as he quoted my post with his question, I think he was asking me specifically if I would ever do it. And the answer there is a resounding "No."

I finally got around to share the install of my new head unit and backup camera. I've had my Alpine CDE-143BT for years now and it served me well. However, the Alpine iLX-W650 is even better. I was really surprised how much better the radio started sounding. On the previous unit, I mainly listed to MP3s and the quality of the radio sound was waaaaay down. However, now I listen to radio all the time. I'm glad I did not pay double for iLX-407 unit with HD Radio. For the backup camera, I went with Natika WD-011. I wanted something that mounted well to the car and looked as close to OEM as possible. Being that it is an aftermarket camera, my hopes were not too high. The 5 has very good DLO and I am tall, so I can already see well when backing up. However, it is good to have for parallel parking and backing into tight spots. I took pictures with my daughter's bike at 6ft, 3ft and 1ft away from the rear bumper. Overall, it's worth it. The image quality is not the best, but its good enough. It is aftermarket, so the video quality is very skewed. On screen, things look a lot further than they are. The provided parking lines are also not helping, probably due to me mounting the camera so high up on the car. However, it is only a matter of clipping one of the wires and I will turn on the parking lines on the head unit, since those can be adjusted.

Attachments

• 20211017_120321_cam.jpg
    20211017_120321_cam.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 20211017_120557_6ft.jpg
    20211017_120557_6ft.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20211017_120626_3ft.jpg
    20211017_120626_3ft.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20211017_120703_1ft.jpg
    20211017_120703_1ft.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 200
Due to a tire situation, I ended up swapping wheels with my wife's car, a '16 MZ3.

Since these cars are equipped with these funky newfangled "tire pressure monitoring systems," I followed the TPMS reset procedure for the 3 (press and hold the little button on the dash), and it is perfectly happy running around on the wheels I had had on the 5.

The 5 .... well, that's another story. The manual says you can reset the TPMS by turning the key on, then off, then waiting 15 minutes, then driving for 10 minutes above 16mph. Turns out it's really hard to just start up and immediately drive for 10 minutes without stopping at all; in other words, I've tried the procedure twice and found it a waste of time. I'm actually concerned that the procedure is no good at all, as the tire light started doing its error thing as soon as I started driving.

What do you folks do to reset the TPMS on a 5?

Last edited:
It's not going to work. Your MZ3 and your MZ5 use completely different TPMS systems. The 3 uses wheel speed sensors, your 5 has sensors built into the valve stems.

It's not going to work. Your MZ3 and your MZ5 use completely different TPMS systems. The 3 uses wheel speed sensors, your 5 has sensors built into the valve stems.

Can you explain what you mean, and why this means the 3 is okay with the 5 senders but not the other way around?

Since the 3 would beep and flash at low tire pressure with the original wheels, there has to be some bit of kit monitoring air pressure from inside the tire ....

Yes, the 3 can use 5 wheels, because all it cares about is measuring the rotational speed of the wheel, and this is done with the ABS tone ring.

Because the 3 uses rotational speed to measure tire pressure, it doesn't need nor have TPMS sensors installed inside of the tire. The TPMS system on the Mazda5 requires those sensors to be installed. If the sensors ain't there, there's no way for the system to work.

The new Mz3 TPMS system is a 'cheaper' dummy system. If it detects one wheel spinning slower (flat) than others, it triggers a fault. It is nice that you don't need a sensor in each wheel but it is a true dummy system.

The Mz5 uses a TPMS sensor in each tire, which is MUCH preferred. For any car that uses an in-wheel TPMS sensor, the car's OBD system actually reads the air pressure and air temperature, a function of the sensor, in (near) real-time. Unfortunately, the Mz5 also gets the dummy light not b/c of lack of capability but due to cost constraints b/c Mazda doesn't want to pay for the screen and firmware to navigate it. You can actually use any OBD enabled device that allows custom PIDs to retrieve these values from the car.

Here's my old Kindle and running the Torque Pro app. You have to design/organize the layout and if you rotate the tire, you'd edit the order of the tiles
jeREWvG.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I would never have known that. So the MZ3 system is really much better in a way, because they found a way to make the NHTSA happy without requiring yet another unnecessary gizmo in each wheel - and really, it gives you about the same functionality as on the 5. I suppose that hack could even work on a RWD car with staggered wheel sizes, as you could probably get away with just comparing right and left wheel speeds.

And the key to my "problem" on the 5 is simply that there are no TPMS senders on the car at present. šŸ™ƒ

I think it's completely brilliant! Unless you actually want the real-time tire pressure data as you drive (and the 5 only has an idiot light anyway), the only problem I can think of is that a wheelspeed-differential system wouldn't know if all your tires dropped to the same low pressure at the same time.

It's good and bad. Good thing is when I put my 20 inch wheels for the summer all works as should but sucks cause it takes about a 15psi drop for it to notice

Wow! I would never have known that. So the MZ3 system is really much better in a way, because they found a way to make the NHTSA happy without requiring yet another unnecessary gizmo in each wheel - and really, it gives you about the same functionality as on the 5. I suppose that hack could even work on a RWD car with staggered wheel sizes, as you could probably get away with just comparing right and left wheel speeds.

And the key to my "problem" on the 5 is simply that there are no TPMS senders on the car at present. šŸ™ƒ

My ā€˜19 accord has the same system using the wheel speed sensors. I happened to take it to a tire shop to get a big bolt out of the tire and get it patched. Guy ringing me up is chatting with me as Iā€™m swiping my card, then I see the breakdown of the priceā€¦. Including a TPMS rebuild kit for $15. Youā€™re supposed to rebuild the sensors any time you take the tire off. I told him I wasnā€™t paying it because my car didnā€™t have in wheel sensors. He explained how all cars now have to have TPMS. I again told him my car didnā€™t have wheel sensors which needed to be rebuilt. This went back and forth a couple more times and then he deadpan looked at me and said ā€œItā€™s only $15ā€¦..ā€. Asked to speak to a manager who immediately removed the charge.

Makes me wonder how often people get charged for TPMS rebuild kits on newer cars that donā€™t have them.

I see it as OEMs finding a way to cut cost šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. All premium cars have real-time tire pressure readings. But I agree, if all you care for or all that this avail to the user is a dummy light, the hub sensor is preferred (winter tires).

But I like real-time TPMS and for those with an in-car Android head unit, you can have this running in the background and set pre-alert thresholds so that if pressure is below a set value, it sends an audio/visual alert or email alert (if connected to 4G/5G/hotspot). Tire pressure and MPG are good friends.

My ā€˜19 accord has the same system using the wheel speed sensors. I happened to take it to a tire shop to get a big bolt out of the tire and get it patched. Guy ringing me up is chatting with me as Iā€™m swiping my card, then I see the breakdown of the priceā€¦. Including a TPMS rebuild kit for $15. Youā€™re supposed to rebuild the sensors any time you take the tire off. I told him I wasnā€™t paying it because my car didnā€™t have in wheel sensors. He explained how all cars now have to have TPMS. I again told him my car didnā€™t have wheel sensors which needed to be rebuilt. This went back and forth a couple more times and then he deadpan looked at me and said ā€œItā€™s only $15ā€¦..ā€. Asked to speak to a manager who immediately removed the charge.

Makes me wonder how often people get charged for TPMS rebuild kits on newer cars that donā€™t have them.
Awesome that you were knowledgeable and calling the guy out!

What color is the Accord's OE valve cap? Silver valve cap (has a gasket to seal against the stem, unlike regular black caps which are just plastic covers) is used to identify TPMS sensor. If the tech 'rebuilt' the valve, you should have one silver cap.

Last edited:
I see it as OEMs finding a way to cut cost šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. All premium cars have real-time tire pressure readings. But I agree, if all you care for or all that this avail to the user is a dummy light, the hub sensor is preferred (winter tires).

But I like real-time TPMS and for those with an in-car Android head unit, you can have this running in the background and set pre-alert thresholds so that if pressure is below a set value, it sends an audio/visual alert or email alert (if connected to 4G/5G/hotspot). Tire pressure and MPG are good friends.

Awesome that you were knowledgeable and calling the guy out!

What color is the Accord's OE valve cap? Silver valve cap (has a gasket to seal against the stem, unlike regular black caps which are just plastic covers) is used to identify TPMS sensor. If the tech 'rebuilt' the valve, you should have one silver cap.

Absolutely. I was really irked that 1) he didnā€™t know better, 2) then didnā€™t understand why he couldnā€™t just charge for it anyway.

normal black valve caps with rubber valve stems. Definitely not metal valve stems to an internal TPMS module. The rebuild kit they use doesnā€™t replace the entire sensor, itā€™s just all the o-rings, and parts, so thereā€™s no way theyā€™d go from no sensor to an installed one for the $15 they wanted to charge me for.

Back