Suspension changes from 2006 to 2007 Mazda5?

My new 2006 feels squishy in the rear compared to my old 2007. Does anyone know if they had an changes to the suspension?

A popular mod is to put in the beefier Mazda 3 rear sway bar. I put it in on our 2010 and my son said it felt much better.

Reactions: SML
No significant suspension changes from ‘06 to ‘07. There were some changes from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen, with the ‘12 models getting beefier rear springs. 1st gen struts fit on the 2nd gen (I discovered this when after installing one new strut, and damaging the hanger on one of them during removal that I’d accidentally ordered two right side and not a right and a left. Grabbed the old one from my sister’s 5 as a temporary replacement)

I’m assuming that since your ‘06 is “new” it’s actually a used car. Maybe the suspension is just worn out and that’s why it feels squishy. On a now 15 year old car with who knows how many miles an original suspension is likely significantly worn if not outright shot.

Might be looking at shocks, struts, bushings, and end links. I did the shocks and struts on my ‘12 model last year with around 100k miles. Felt way better afterwards. I also swapped the stock rear springs with lowering springs from a CX-7 to help improve rear end sag when I load it up with people and stuff. This year I did the front lower control arms (bushings were worn and are pressed In the new arms), front/rear sway bar bushings, and the rear end links. Still need to do the front ones, but the rear ones were basically just free rotating.

Last edited:
Thank you icspots!
The car is low mileage with 53k and the shocks/bushing and endlinks were all replaced prior me purchasing it.

it’s probably normal. But I do get some clunking in the rear so I suspect something is loose.

Good to know about the potential upgrades. I may end up doing some.

Thank you icspots!
The car is low mileage with 53k and the shocks/bushing and endlinks were all replaced prior me purchasing it.

it’s probably normal. But I do get some clunking in the rear so I suspect something is loose.

Good to know about the potential upgrades. I may end up doing some.
Check your rear shock mounts, common failure point on the 5.

Reactions: SML
Back