Just got the CX-5 Hatch/Liftgate strut recall notice

Necropost :)

These recall replacements never seemed to be good as the originals. I could never get them to not squeak and they began to lose pressure I assume since they wouldn't fully hold the hatch open.

Just replaced them and now silent and fully opens the hatch.

KD77-62-620A (Right)

KD77-63-620A (Left)

Necropost :)

These recall replacements never seemed to be good as the originals. I could never get them to not squeak and they began to lose pressure I assume since they wouldn't fully hold the hatch open.

Just replaced them and now silent and fully opens the hatch.

KD77-62-620A (Right)

KD77-63-620A (Left)
Yes these replacement struts by safety recall are worse than the originals and many have confirmed it. I wonder if we should ask Mazda to give us another pair for free since there’s a recall for them?

And there’re different struts between left and right? I thought aftermarket struts for the left and right are the same?

Luckily mine haven't failed yet, but that is one recall I should have skipped. The originals were in perfect shape and little did I know the replacements were going to be shorter causing me to now bump my head on the liftgate if not careful. Thanks Mazda.

Luckily mine haven't failed yet, but that is one recall I should have skipped. The originals were in perfect shape and little did I know the replacements were going to be shorter causing me to now bump my head on the liftgate if not careful. Thanks Mazda.
Yes, the replacements are indeed shorter than originals! Luckily I’m not that tall to hit the liftgate. And I regret to let my Mazda dealer perform the recall on liftgate struts too!

I will measure them tomorrow... they haven't made it to the trash can yet.

Like stated above.. my OEMs were in perfect shape and the recall replacement was inferior.

So I ended up getting ours replaced earlier this year when I took the vehicle in to get a proximity key programmed. It's the only time I have taken a vehicle to a dealer for anything, ever. They went ahead and did the recall replacement at that time. Haven't noticed any issues since then, but the old ones didn't have any issues, either.

You may tegr
So I ended up getting ours replaced earlier this year when I took the vehicle in to get a proximity key programmed. It's the only time I have taken a vehicle to a dealer for anything, ever. They went ahead and did the recall replacement at that time. Haven't noticed any issues since then, but the old ones didn't have any issues, either.
You may regret your decision having the dealer performed the strut recall. The replacement struts are inferior on longevity and they’re shorter. Watch your head if you’re tall.

Should have waited until the original struts are failing, then go get the recall done. There’s no time limitation on recalls anyway.

Shorter? Not at all. The hatch opens the exact same amount as before.

As I said, haven't had any issues with the new ones.

Shorter? Not at all. The hatch opens the exact same amount as before.
See post #44 and #48 above. And it’s my experience too, but I’m not as tall as Jmaz.

As the matter of fact, when I mentioned the shorter replacement struts for the recall, the service advisor admitted they’re indeed shorter, but he said I should be fine with shorter struts.

Should have waited until the original struts are failing, then go get the recall done. There’s no time limitation on recalls anyway.
I don't think he goes to the dealer often enough to care about getting the strut recall done later. ;)

See post #44 and #48 above. And it’s my experience too, but I’m not as tall as Jmaz.

As the matter of fact, when I mentioned the shorter replacement struts for the recall, the service advisor admitted they’re indeed shorter, but he said I should be fine with shorter struts.

And I'm telling you that the ones the dealer put on are the same.

When we first got the car, I was concerned that the hatch would touch our garage door opening's top seal or the door bottom seal with the hatch open. Luckily it cleared everything by about 1/2 inch or so, although I did set the garage door to go up just a touch more to ensure clearance.

After the recall was done, the clearance above the hatch to the garage door opening's top seal is still the same as before. Therefore the length of the hatch struts are unchanged.

And I'm telling you that the ones the dealer put on are the same.

When we first got the car, I was concerned that the hatch would touch our garage door opening's top seal or the door bottom seal with the hatch open. Luckily it cleared everything by about 1/2 inch or so, although I did set the garage door to go up just a touch more to ensure clearance.

After the recall was done, the clearance above the hatch to the garage door opening's top seal is still the same as before. Therefore the length of the hatch struts are unchanged.
And maybe the one's you got happen to be the same as the original ( old stock ?, maybe Mazda made a change or sent old one's?). I just know that right after the recall one's were installed I bumped my head whereas I didn't before. Too coincidental. By eyeball it looked like the bottom corners of the liftgate were now maybe an inch lower than before. This agrees with what yrwei52 posted. And I'm not that tall, only 6 ft. in my stocking feet.

If the dealer was going to go to the trouble of swapping out the struts when I had not originally taken the car in for that reason, you really think they would put NOS parts on the car?

Double checked again this weekend. Rear hatch still comes close to the garage door upper seal, but just clears it, exactly as it did before the hatch struts were swapped out.

I guess I missed the TSB that mentioned that some recall struts were defective

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 2.23.03 PM.png

Attachments

• MC-10163386-0001.pdf
    531.3 KB · Views: 17
I guess I missed the TSB that mentioned that some recall struts were defective

View attachment 326516
People who performed the liftgate lifter recall if they pay some attention all feel the replacements are worse than the originals, with shorter rod (hence the liftgate when opened is lower which your head may hit it easier; and the lifting power is weaker even comes with noise.

I believe we can get the recall re-done with newly “updated” lifters since the replacement lifters for the safety recall are defective. Check your dealer and see.

Back