Do you use wheel locks?

I don't.

Depends where you generally park your car. It's just a tool-check deterrent.

It certainly will depend on where your location is with regard to how much of a deterrent these are. I ended up removing mine after a couple of years because it was more of a PITA when changing tires than I thought it was worth. Maybe as the vehicle and rims get older there is also less value. If I was in an area that had more reports of this type of issue I would reinstall.

Right now it is the catalytic converters that seem to be the target and at all times anything left in the car, especially an open one, often can be stolen. Locally we still have more reports of stolen vehicles because people leave their car running - so doesn't matter what security you use if you do this! :)

In my opinion it's not a waste of money for someone who actually needs them and sees the benefits of wheel locks.From my point of view, locking the wheels saves me the fear of tire theft.

The issue with wheel locks is that they are SO easily defeated.

Yes, it's gonna take the thief a couple of extra seconds to pound a sacrificial socket onto the wheel lock but if the thief wants your wheel bad enough, they will have them, locks or not.

Conrad is correct. My daughter got a used Mazda 3 that came with wheel locks and no key. She asked the local Mazda dealer if they might have a key to take them off so she could put regular ones on, they said sure. We brought it in and a tech just came out to the parking lot with a battery impact/drill and a socket. Wedged the socket on and span the locks off in about 30 secs total!

Funnily enough, when I bought my CX-50 in December, that same dealer's sales person was trying his hardest to sell me wheels locks, saying how we should protect those expensive 20" wheels that cost $1000 a piece. I related the above story to him and he just never mentioned the locks again :)

⋯ We brought it in and a tech just came out to the parking lot with a battery impact/drill and a socket. Wedged the socket on and span the locks off in about 30 secs total!
Usually a dealer has the “master key” for the wheel lock nuts they sell. But I don’t see any reason why a thief can’t use a locking vise-grip to loose the lock nuts easily. I also have seen a special tool to loose all kind of lock nuts.

Nevertheless I did buy a set of OEM wheel lock nuts at the time I purchased my CX-5 only for a false sense of peace of mind.

McGrad wheel locks are very useless. It seems no one disagrees.
Adv Wheel Locks seem to be the best out there, it you really want wheel locks.

I searched the YouTube and I haven't found anyone who defeated it in short time.

BFDF5FD5-C4B4-45D9-B2E9-5EE7F6C62874.jpeg

My 2020 Signature came with them, So far no problem.

Just have proper insurance. A lot of things keep me up at night. However, none of those things are items I have insured.

I find wheel locks to be useless. Wheel locks came as a dealer add-on with my '19 CX-5. I didn't want them and told the dealer to remove them and deduct the cost (i.e., $60) from the purchase price. The dealer refused and I said I'd look to buy the car elsewhere. He was incredulous and couldn't believe I'd do that. I told him that I would not pay for a dealer add-on that I didn't want and would walk. In the end the dealer not only removed and deducted the price of the wheel locks, but gave them to me as a "gift." If you don't ask, then you don't get.

Dealers won't spend hundreds on a set of adv wheel locks.
They use McGrad wheel locks, which as we all know is easy to defeat.
If I had a sports car with fancy forged wheels, I would invest in a set of adv wheel locks.
For Mazdas, no.

Back