Sound deadening options and combinations?

After removing the spare tire and the covering I discovered that my 2019 cx5 grand touring has almost no sound insulation there. wish I had taken a pic, looked like they had glued in part of an old thin house coat. I ordered the self-stick sound deadener from Amazon. Covered the whole area with lots left over. Did improve some on the tire noise. ( new Continental LX25 tires.) but still very noticeable to me. I’m not up to doing it, but the whole rear hatch covering, especially over the wheel wells, needs to be removed and recovered with good sound deadening.
if Mazda wants to raise their image to a high quality vehicle they must improve on the interior sound level. This couldn’t add anything to the cost. My old 2008 CRV had less tire noise, or maybe the other noises covered it up.

After removing the spare tire and the covering I discovered that my 2019 cx5 grand touring has almost no sound insulation there. wish I had taken a pic, looked like they had glued in part of an old thin house coat. I ordered the self-stick sound deadener from Amazon. Covered the whole area with lots left over. Did improve some on the tire noise. ( new Continental LX25 tires.) but still very noticeable to me. I’m not up to doing it, but the whole rear hatch covering, especially over the wheel wells, needs to be removed and recovered with good sound deadening.
if Mazda wants to raise their image to a high quality vehicle they must improve on the interior sound level. This couldn’t add anything to the cost. My old 2008 CRV had less tire noise, or maybe the other noises covered it up.
of course it adds to the cost. It'd obvious Mazda made choices when building these cars. They chose luxury materials and features and chose to skimp on things that would add cost but would not be obvious.

After removing the spare tire and the covering I discovered that my 2019 cx5 grand touring has almost no sound insulation there. wish I had taken a pic, looked like they had glued in part of an old thin house coat.

At least you had the "house coat"! My wife's Mazda5 had literally *nothing*, either in the hatch or doors. It was just straight bare metal. Going on the Interstate was just a constant loud drone.

After the complete 3 layer treatment as I described above, it's nice to drive now, and we can have a conversation at a normal volume, even with people in the back seats!

Yeah, it's a lot of work to do the complete treatment, but the results are absolutely worth it.

At least you had the "house coat"! My wife's Mazda5 had literally *nothing*, either in the hatch or doors. It was just straight bare metal. Going on the Interstate was just a constant loud drone.

After the complete 3 layer treatment as I described above, it's nice to drive now, and we can have a conversation at a normal volume, even with people in the back seats!

Yeah, it's a lot of work to do the complete treatment, but the results are absolutely worth it.
I really respect what you did. But I’m an old fart and don’t think I am up to doing the job you did. Great job and instruction. Shouldn’t be necessary to get semi quiet car.
heck my last two Corvettes , c5 and c6, had not much more tire noise than my Mazda. Even with the original Goodyear run crap tires. I suppose maybe others don’t think it’s a big thing.

Even though my 2021 is much quieter than any previous cx-5 I have owned ( '14, '16 '19), I still did the dynamat Extreme treatment. Requires about one 'bulk pack'.

All 4 doors, the rear seat area, and the entire rear cargo area. Its a bit of work, but I had a helper this time.

I also added Dynaliner under the rear seat and under the spare tire.

So very quiet now. Its a drastic difference.

I got kind of busy and forgot to take a lot of pics. Here I have posted one front and one rear door pic I remembered to take:

d.jpg
d2.jpg

Last edited:
Back