Exxon Superflo Synthetic

My apologies, another oil thread, but this one may actually be a new topic. I've searched and found nothing.

My 2021 CX-5 GTR has about 6,300 miles, and I've made an appointment with the dealer for my first service, which is free. Might as well let them give the car a once-over. Well, not really free, because I want to switch to full synthetic, and that is a $40 adder.

I asked the service adviser what oil they use, and he wasn't sure. Went to check and came back telling me it was "Exxon Superflo". That seemed odd, I haven't seen that brand in years. So a Google search turned up:

A Premium Quality Lubricant with a Trusted Name​

Exxon Superflo Motor Oil, a trusted brand of ExxonMobil™, is under license by Brenntag Lubricants Northeast. Brenntag Lubricants Northeast has an exclusive branding agreement within the Northeast to market and sell Exxon Superflo Motor Oil and Automotive Lubricants.
The Exxon Superflo program is tailored for the professional automotive installer looking for a premium quality lubricant combined with a trusted name and value driven marketing.
Included in the Exxon Superflo program is a well-balanced portfolio of OEM approved premium performing motor oils and lubricants in a variety of package sizes:
• Exxon Superflo Elite Synthetic Blend API SN+/GF-5
• Exxon Superflo Ultra Synthetic API SN+/GF-5 GM Dexos-1 Next Generation
(They have other products, I just listed the synthetics)

So who the heck is Brenntag Lubricants Northeast?
"Located in Manchester, NH, Brenntag Lubricants Northeast is a best-in-class lubricants and specialty chemical distributor serving a wide range of customers in the Northeast for the industrial, commercial vehicle, and personal vehicle markets and offers a full line of finished lubricants for automotive, commercial and industrial industries. Along with our robust catalog of ancillary product lines, we offer value added services such as oil analysis, lubrication equipment, fluid management, and unparalleled knowledge and expertise"

That sounds like they are a distributor, not a refiner, and they have a branding agreement that lets them use the Exxon Superflo name and put it on whatever oil they choose.

I don't think I want this oil. Yeah, I know it's probably fine, SN+ is a fairly recent (2018) API rating and designed to prevent pre-ignition in direct injected vehicles.

I usually do my own oil changes, so I think I will buy the Turbo filter at the dealer and use my preferred oil (Mobil 1 or Valvoline). I can also easily buy an extra quart if I need a top-up (although I haven't used a drop in the 6,300 miles).

Thoughts on the Superflo?

Mark

It's probably 'ok' as it meets the minimum specs, but I prefer Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.

If they have the new Idemitsu 5w30 SP6 I would get that for a 2021.

I can appreciate the care and concern for the vehicle and the research into the products used. Use the oil, it meets the minimal requirements. In the future when you DIY the process you can hand pick the best dino blood money can buy. Me personally an Exxon product would never be used in any vehicle I own.. but that's a conversation about company boycotts for policies they do or don't adhere to.

I can't comment on the oil, but $40 adder for synthetic? Are you kidding?
Synthetic costs $8 more per quart than conventional? I'm in the wrong business.

I can't comment on the oil, but $40 adder for synthetic? Are you kidding?
Synthetic costs $8 more per quart than conventional? I'm in the wrong business.

That's just what the dealer charges to line their pockets and keep the lights on. If you buy it yourself, it's much cheaper.

Just do the free oil change with their bulk 5w-30 (all oils sold since May will be the new GF6/SP rating) . It will meet Mazda specs. Don't forget to rotate the tires

Thanks all. Yeah, the $40 adder is ridiculous, but kind of what I expected.

I'm probably going to just change it myself, it will be cheaper and more convenient. Plus that oil being in there would weigh on me. I'm like that. :)

I will still probably bring it in to get looked over. Been meaning to get it up on the lift to check the ATF level since everyone seems to think they come underfilled (like my rear diff). If it is, I'll have them confirm and top up. Lets see if they do that under warranty.

Mark

You can also take them your oil of choice and they will use that. Since it's supposed to be a free service visit, that might be your best best and you get the oil you want and they'll do the Full Circle inspection. I suggest Idemitsu 5w-30 from Amazon

Well, glad I do my own oil changes.
I couldn't stomach paying those prices for a relatively simple process.

In this case, paying $40 for synthetic and getting the full inspection might be worth it, unless, like dunhillmc said, maybe you can bring your own synthetic oil and save about $15-$20.

I'll see if they will let me bring the oil, it's an interesting question. But the way things are going, not sure when I'm going to get in there. I had to cancel the appointment. Traveling for work this week, jury duty next week, then traveling again. If I do it myself I can also install a Fumoto valve. I love being able to drain right into an empty jug instead of a pan.

I'm close to 6700 miles now. Oddly, the maintenance monitor says a change is due in 1,300 miles, so that would push me to 8,000. Will probably do it next weekend.

I'll see if they will let me bring the oil, it's an interesting question.
Most dealers will use your oil, as long as it’s meets manufacture’s specifications such as 5W-30 GF-6A oil from many name-brands in your case. Just make sure to ask the tech to save all empty bottles ;) or any left-overs in the trunk. You should have 0.9 quarts left as the 2.5T needs ~5.1 quarts for oil change.

⋯ If I do it myself I can also install a Fumoto valve. I love being able to drain right into an empty jug instead of a pan.
Fumoto valve has its drawbacks too. It’s slower to drain. But the main problem to me is the threaded part is too long and extended into the oil pan, which causes good amount of old oil (and debris if any) can’t be drained out.

⋯ I'm close to 6700 miles now. Oddly, the maintenance monitor says a change is due in 1,300 miles, so that would push me to 8,000. Will probably do it next weekend.
This’s very strange. Mazda says the Flexible OCI is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months on your 2021 2.5T. Some new CX-30 or Mazda3 has up to 10,000 miles or 12 months on Flexible OCI. Is it possible your Maintenance Monitor on oil change got reset accidentally along the way? It’s easy to verify, just check the Flexible OCI setting right after the oil change at your Mazda dealer, and it should say 7,500 miles. If the dealer didn’t do the reset, you reset it by yourself and see if it changes to 7,500 miles. If it says 10,000 miles after the reset, Mazda may have installed a PCM which contains newer version of oil life monitor software on your 2.5T.

Thanks for all the additional comments, I'm sorry if it looked like I disappeared. Long week and late nights in the field this week.

Will take a closer look at the Flex OCI. Since I bought the car it has been tracking towards 7,500 miles, as I have checked it now and then to see if it was headed towards a shorter interval. It was only the last time I checked that it jumped to 8K. And I hear you on the Fumoto, been back and forth on it.

Back