Stuck brake rotor

:
cx5
Plan to replace the rotor this long weekend, but worry the the rotor may stuck on the wheel hub. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I remember there's one way is to use a bolt. Can anyone tell me the size of the bolt and how to use it?

Screw the bolt into the threaded hole in the rotor. M8x1.25 , easy to find with Google search. I didn't try to remove without the bolt on my 2018, but it seemed to come off pretty easily, no loud pop or anything.

@murky already answered the question for the bolt. Here is a related conversation

for the "how to use it" part of the question... IT being the bolt you fastened to the rotor

you screw the bolt through the rotor until it pops off

this will be VERY helpful:

Last edited:
Thread in a lug nut or two, use a hammer and tap on the hat (between the studs). If that doesn't free it, get a bigger hammer and swing at the rotor surface.

Not sure how effective that tiny M8x1.25 screw can be if the rotor has really got stuck. I’ve always prepared a couple of new (OEM) screws for stuck rotors on my 1998 Honda CR-V. But one time I really needed it, the screw simply was not powerful enough to push the rotor loose, and the thread got damaged. I ended up had to whap the rotor loose like Silly Wabbit described.

@murky already answered the question for the bolt. Here is a related conversation

for the "how to use it" part of the question... IT being the bolt you fastened to the rotor

you screw the bolt through the rotor until it pops off

this will be VERY helpful:
I also described how to use it.
"Screw the bolt into the threaded hole in the rotor."

The purpose is to get the rotor to separate - didn't think I needed to describe when to stop, it should be evident.

I also described how to use it.
"Screw the bolt into the threaded hole in the rotor."

The purpose is to get the rotor to separate - didn't think I needed to describe when to stop, it should be evident.
My clarification was only because a person could screw the bolt in and then attach a slide hammer and think that was the proper technique. @pigvet and report back to the success of removal?

My clarification was only because a person could screw the bolt in and then attach a slide hammer and think that was the proper technique. @pigvet and report back to the success of removal?
Interesting, maybe its because I'm an engineer, but the mechanism by which the bolt pushes the rotor off of the hub seems obvious.

Same thing happened to me with my 2014. Drivers side rotor took over an hour to get off. Soak it with wd-40 or any other nut buster fluid you can get in there, squirt it in the bolt holes, the stud holes, and around the hub. Tap the rotor in the center while turning it to try to jar it loose. The bolt-in-the-hole method did the trick. And if it starts stripping the threads just twist another bolt in there. She'll break loose.

Back