Brakes / Bumper to Bumper Warranty

I bought a 2020 Mazda CX-9 three months ago.
A car with 5,700 miles on it at the time.
Now I've traveled a lot and it has 9,000 miles on it.
Are brake issues for me covered at no cost because of the "Bumper to Bumper Warranty"?

If "Yes", do I have to go to the Mazda dealership that sold me the car (40 minutes from my home) or will I be covered by warranty if I bring it to the dealership in my town (10 minutes away)?

Brakes (pads, shoes etc) are "normal wearing" and not covered under warranty, unless they are defective.

Brakes (pads, shoes etc) are "normal wearing" and not covered under warranty, unless they are defective.
Maybe mine is a "gray area" regarding defective?
There is a "zzziiitt" sound when I lift my foot up off the brake pedal.
The sound is a one second burst like pulling apart velcro. Not loud. My wife in the passenger seat says she cannot hear it.
The one second "zzziitt" sound does NOT happen AS my foot is rising to the top stopping point of the pedal release. It happens once the pedal has fully arrived at that top point.
Anyone have any guess regarding this?

Maybe mine is a "gray area" regarding defective?
There is a "zzziiitt" sound when I lift my foot up off the brake pedal.
The sound is a one second burst like pulling apart velcro. Not loud. My wife in the passenger seat says she cannot hear it.
The one second "zzziitt" sound does NOT happen AS my foot is rising to the top stopping point of the pedal release. It happens once the pedal has fully arrived at that top point.
Anyone have any guess regarding this?
Ah ok. Would need to be diagnosed properly, but might be a pedal pivot type of issue, which should be covered under warranty.

The warranty is honored at every Mazda dealership in the country.

For the noise, can you record it? Maybe a cell phone video that shows the pedal position and captures the noise. 100% for sure, the mechanic will take the car for a test drive and write, "Could not duplicate" on the repair order and do nothing for you. Always have the compliant written on the repair order as well as the service writer's guess as how to fix it.

The warranty is honored at every Mazda dealership in the country.

For the noise, can you record it? Maybe a cell phone video that shows the pedal position and captures the noise. 100% for sure, the mechanic will take the car for a test drive and write, "Could not duplicate" on the repair order and do nothing for you. Always have the compliant written on the repair order as well as the service writer's guess as how to fix it.
#1 I can't record it.
#2 Thank you sooo much for letting me know I can go to my local Mazda dealership
#3 I will for sure follow your advice to have the complaint written in a detailed manner on the repair order.
The brakes feel strong and there are no noises that Google Searches bring up regarding brake related problems.
It's probably "nothing to worry about". It's just that I'm 59 yrs old and yet I've never experienced THIS. So unfamiliar...and thus weird.

Last edited:
My local dealer replaced my pads at 19K miles after I complained of clicking/clunking when going from reverse to drive first thing in the morning.

They tightened chassis bolts (which is part of the car's schedule maintenance, which I think is kind of weird) and replaced all pads (noting a TSB on brake-related noise).

I still get the occasional click/clunk; I'm not sure if it's driveline or chassis related.

My local dealer replaced my pads at 19K miles after I complained of clicking/clunking when going from reverse to drive first thing in the morning.

They tightened chassis bolts (which is part of the car's schedule maintenance, which I think is kind of weird) and replaced all pads (noting a TSB on brake-related noise).

I still get the occasional click/clunk; I'm not sure if it's driveline or chassis related.

TSB on brake clunk: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173099-0001.pdf

But yes for the OP, any weird noise which isn’t normal brake wear would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

#1 I can't record it.

It sounds like the noise can be easily and consistently reproduced, is this correct?

Since you're unable to record it, an alternative measure would be to test drive another vehicle on the lot with the tech present to see if that car does the same thing as yours. If it does not, and you can reproduce the sound with the tech present, the tech can confirm the presence of the noise on the work order.

Interesting - my vehicle (RHD) also has reverse clunk occasionally. To me it feels more driveline and more noticeable in hilly area (my car park) than flat. Only when I move from stop to reversing then during the wheel rotation it clunks. It’s one off and then it’s clunk free. I haven’t noticed it as often recently. I had the brake TSB as well. Mazda says they can’t regenerate the noise all the time so hard to trace it but have it on records to make sure it will be covered even after the warranty expires. My car is May 2019 manufactured and covered 14000km. This reverse clunking was noted from about 9000km. (the clunking is not shifting from reverse drive gear change)

Interesting - my vehicle (RHD) also has reverse clunk occasionally. To me it feels more driveline and more noticeable in hilly area (my car park) than flat. Only when I move from stop to reversing then during the wheel rotation it clunks. It’s one off and then it’s clunk free. I haven’t noticed it as often recently. I had the brake TSB as well. Mazda says they can’t regenerate the noise all the time so hard to trace it but have it on records to make sure it will be covered even after the warranty expires. My car is May 2019 manufactured and covered 14000km. This reverse clunking was noted from about 9000km. (the clunking is not shifting from reverse drive gear change)
I suspect mine's caused from some type of driveline 'slop', either a CV joint or hub (does not sound like it's brake or transmission related).

Back