No CD Player Available in new 2017 Mazda CX-5

No CD Player in vehicle - Does this make a difference to you?

• Total voters
Actually it doesn’t. It has a high cycle battery and a considerably beefed up starter. When the engine is stalled by istop, it is done by poising the pistons in the optimum position that only requires the engine to be cranked for less than a second to re start it. I’m old school too but we’ve got to shake off this old school thinking. I can remember somebody explaining a fax machine to me in the 80s and look where we are now. Cars are not what they used to be.

Why would you turn off the istop? It’s there to improve fuel consumption and emissions. I’m not a tree hugger but I think that turning that off shouldn’t even be an option and if you only give it chance you will find it makes no difference to your driving whatsoever.
I agree with you however in my case where climate and traffic conditions here are not so friendly. With the engine off, only the blower is activated. Heat builds up in a matter of 2 minutes. Traffic here usually lasts 5-10 minutes per stop so imagine the heat buildup without the compressor running.

Same, my 6 has them.

Why would mazda get rid of the dial for select countries? So you cant close the vents? That doesnt make any sense.
Just looked back through the posts.
I don't get it either.
My new 2017 M6 has a CD player and the dials in the centre vents.
I thought the interiors of the CX-5 and M6 were essentially the same.? I guess not.
This is one silly move on Mazda's part. Makes no sense.
It really makes no sense to me either! Having two different versions of a part, especially the expensive one such as the 192.20 upper dash "Switch Panel" K123-55-310 02 with CD player cutoff and without due to design, is actually cost more than just keeping one version and giving everybody a CD player! Mazda also have to keep enough parts inventory worldwide for two different versions of a part for certain amount of period which increases the cost even more!

As for dial open/close control for center dash vents on CX-5, Mazda North American Operations finally give the dials to US CX-5 for 2018:

attachment.php

A65B68CF-821C-468D-86D9-6C7662324FDA.png

Mazda i-stop

Actually it doesn’t. It has a high cycle battery and a considerably beefed up starter. When the engine is stalled by istop, it is done by poising the pistons in the optimum position that only requires the engine to be cranked for less than a second to re start it. I’m old school too but we’ve got to shake off this old school thinking. I can remember somebody explaining a fax machine to me in the 80s and look where we are now. Cars are not what they used to be.
This’s something always isn’t clear to me from Mazda’s articles on i-stop. Because sometimes we’ve been told only the fuel needed injecting into the cylinders to start the engine without the starter’s help due the special design by Mazda where one of the pistons is always stopped at an optimal compression cycle hence the super smooth transactions between engine running and off with Mazda’s i-stop. So the starter is still needed to crank-start the engine under any circumstances?

Last edited:
I agree with you however in my case where climate and traffic conditions here are not so friendly. With the engine off, only the blower is activated. Heat builds up in a matter of 2 minutes. Traffic here usually lasts 5-10 minutes per stop so imagine the heat buildup without the compressor running.
I thought the i-stop would re-start the engine and compressor if your cabin temperature is getting hotter due to the engine stoppage? You have an AC Eco mode with i-stop which may stop the the engine and compressor in a longer cycle? May be you can change the AC to non-Eco mode in hot weather so that the engine and compressor will re-start in the faster pace with i-stop to keep the cabin cooler?

I thought the i-stop would re-start the engine and compressor if your cabin temperature is getting hotter due to the engine stoppage? You have an AC “Eco” mode with i-stop which may stop the the engine and compressor in a longer cycle? May be you can change the AC to non-Eco mode in hot weather so that the engine and compressor will re-start in the faster pace with i-stop to keep the cabin cooler?
It also wouldn't start even in non eco mode.

This’s something always isn’t clear to me from Mazda’s articles on i-stop. Because sometimes we’ve been told only the fuel needed injecting into the cylinders to start the engine without the starter’s help due the special design by Mazda where the one of a piston is always stopped at an optimal compression cycle hence the super smooth transactions between engine running and off with Mazda’s i-stop. So the starter is still needed to crank-start the engine under any circumstances?

Yes, the starter would be used albeit very briefly.

I thought the i-stop would re-start the engine and compressor if your cabin temperature is getting hotter due to the engine stoppage? You have an AC “Eco” mode with i-stop which may stop the the engine and compressor in a longer cycle? May be you can change the AC to non-Eco mode in hot weather so that the engine and compressor will re-start in the faster pace with i-stop to keep the cabin cooler?

Correct. In Nelson’s case, if the demand on the AC was high enough, the Istop won’t even engage. It is automatically over-ridden if Hi or Lo is selected on the display. Just to clarify also, the “eco” mode is included in the auto function of the climate control and it will select the mode most suitable for the demand of its own accord.

See the attached pdf. There’s no excuses, its all been thought of so that the Istop is definitely a benefit. My pdf is for the diesel of course but it is virtually identical in operation for the G engine.

All the cynics that think they know better, don’t.

Mazda i-stop

Yes, the starter would be used albeit very briefly.

Correct. In Nelsons case, if the demand on the AC was high enough, the Istop wont even engage. It is automatically over-ridden if Hi or Lo is selected on the display. Just to clarify also, the eco mode is included in the auto function of the climate control and it will select the mode most suitable for the demand of its own accord.

See the attached pdf. Theres no excuses, its all been thought of so that the Istop is definitely a benefit. My pdf is for the diesel of course but it is virtually identical in operation for the G engine.

All the cynics that think they know better, dont.
Thanks again for the document! The Climate Control Unit of i-stop is taking all data from cabin、A/C、and ambient temperatures as well as many switch positions, including full-auto or manual A/C mode, and operation conditions to determine if engine sfop can be made. It seems if the drive set the AC to manual or full-auto (non-Eco) A/C mode the i-stop shouldnt activated unless the cabin temperature meets the preset AC temperature.

I would take it as long as there was a deactivation switch.

The option has been there for decades. Just turn your ignition off if you didn’t want the engine to run ie at a train crossing or long wait. The last system I drove was way too sensitive. I pulled up in my driveway and stopped- engine off-I shifted car into park-engine back on- engine shuts off again. This wasn’t a one time thing and once I found the deactivate button I used it on every trip this defeating the whole idea to begin with.

There has to be better ways.

Well I must admit I didn’t like the idea at first but now I just let it get on with it. It makes absolutely no difference to driving and I guarantee that if you covered the taco and plugged your ears, you wouldn’t know it was operating.

Mazda i-stop

Well I must admit I didnt like the idea at first but now I just let it get on with it. It makes absolutely no difference to driving and I guarantee that if you covered the taco and plugged your ears, you wouldnt know it was operating.
I believe hes talking about the auto idle stop on other vehicles. He lives in US or Canada and he has no chance to experience Mazdas i-stop. From what I read from many reviews and articles I think Mazdas i-stop is the best system among others!

Absolutely but it isn’t the car company that drives it. It’s a bit of respect for the environment and anything else that shares it. I didn’t have this view not long ago but when you see what’s happening to the ice and then look at 10 lanes of traffic and imagine how much fuel is involved it’s no big deal to let the engine shut down at idle. I didn’t like it at first because I didn’t like the idea of an engine being asked to take power from stopped with no oil circulating etc. It was a mechanical dislike but modern engines operate with virtually no gaps and oil is always present after the initial start up. My new CX-5 has done about 8500 and so far istop has increased the range by getting up 100 miles. That’s 100 miles free motoring and 100 miles less fuel and emissions as a direct result of an automatic process that made no difference to my driving. Just my opinion.
(iagree)

It's the air conditioning that causes the engine to restart. If cabin temperature is not at the setting, either i-stop won't kick in or will override it after a little bit

CD player had been missing since day one of 2017 model.

As for i-stop, just place a piece of paper or cardboard between the button and surrounding area after you turn it off and the next time you start it up, shouldn't come back on.

Also congratulations :)

Actually it doesnt. It has a high cycle battery and a considerably beefed up starter. When the engine is stalled by istop, it is done by poising the pistons in the optimum position that only requires the engine to be cranked for less than a second to re start it. Im old school too but weve got to shake off this old school thinking. I can remember somebody explaining a fax machine to me in the 80s and look where we are now. Cars are not what they used to be.

Cheers gents ............. appreciate the comments.

Looks like there is no place to play your CD's in the new Mazda's.

(eek)

RIP CD

I am wondering if this is disappointing to anyone else but me?

(blah)

a-bulldozer-destroys-a-pile-of-pirated-cds-and-dvds-that-were-confiscated-GX2CM3.jpg
Hey there, I found a kit from these guys and it works great in my new Mazda. works through the usb port. They were very helpful when I emailed them some questions before I purchased...

That is a nice find. And talk about standing behind your product:

This CD player is guaranteed to work on ANY radio configuration. We will go as far as to send you a prepaid return label to take it back for a full refund if it doesn't work when properly installed.

@jimmycan68 - wow nice find. That is an impressive bit of technology there! I have to wonder what the sound quality is like.. but cd playing through USB emulation.. that is some magic voodoo stuff.

Back