2021 CX-5 replaced my battery already

2021 Cx-5 CE AWD since March and that Panasonic battery just sucks. I recently added a couple dash cams and replaced the battery at the same time. I went with a Duracell AGM for $179 USD size 94R (800CCA and 140min RC) and yes it's a goofy fit but it's locked down securely. The nice thing is the dash cams draw about 1.75 watts/ea. I left 2 of them running 12 hours overnight, and then did a battery test before starting it and it still showed 98% charge and 950CCA. Will be adding 2 more cams for 360 coverage. I think a 27F battery would've fit better but they are hard to find in AGM. I wanted max amp hr ratings and good reserve capacity for the purpose of the 24/7 dash cams running, the car play wireless dongle, (seems to be always powered on for that usb port in the console), and a heads up display that plugs in the OBD port that still draws minimal milliamps when the car is turned off.

2021 Cx-5 CE AWD since March and that Panasonic battery just sucks. I recently added a couple dash cams and replaced the battery at the same time. I went with a Duracell AGM for $179 USD size 94R (800CCA and 140min RC) and yes it's a goofy fit but it's locked down securely. The nice thing is the dash cams draw about 1.75 watts/ea. I left 2 of them running 12 hours overnight, and then did a battery test before starting it and it still showed 98% charge and 950CCA. Will be adding 2 more cams for 360 coverage. I think a 27F battery would've fit better but they are hard to find in AGM. I wanted max amp hr ratings and good reserve capacity for the purpose of the 24/7 dash cams running, the car play wireless dongle, (seems to be always powered on for that usb port in the console), and a heads up display that plugs in the OBD port that still draws minimal milliamps when the car is turned off.
The correct size on battery for CX-5 is Group 35. And there’re many Group 35 AGM batteries available too.

Your 2021 CX-5 CE AWD is only 5 months old. You can get a new OEM battery for free under warranty if the factory Panasonic battery was tested failed.

Sure, but read my post. Group 35 AGM just doesn't have the capacity I wanted and since a bigger one will fit I'm good to go. The current Panasonic battery tested at 505 CCA capacity and is fine, just underpowered IMO, I would never trust that in the cold sub zero winters. It's like they sized the cheapest minimal battery they could.

Did you have issues with your original battery before adding the dashcams?

If you go with group size 35 batteries, the CCA is usually about 640 only.
OP basically upgraded it to 800CCA.

Northstar or battery plus buls rebranded northstar is group35 740cca.
Thats the largest I was able to find in group35 size.
But for 179$ the one mentioned seems very good price vs CCA.

Sure, but read my post. Group 35 AGM just doesn't have the capacity I wanted and since a bigger one will fit I'm good to go. The current Panasonic battery tested at 505 CCA capacity and is fine, just underpowered IMO, I would never trust that in the cold sub zero winters. It's like they sized the cheapest minimal battery they could.
Your original post said only “that Panasonic battery just sucks”, and “size 94R (800CCA and 140min RC) and yes it's a goofy fit”, but had never mentioned what you really want is a bigger battery to support running 4 dash cams 24/7 better. Honestly I don’t think it’s Mazda’s fault to give us a Group 35 battery you think it’s underpowered. It’s very decent and sufficient for most CX-5 owners as not many CX-5 owners need something bigger than Group 35 for special needs like you. Car manufactures need to consider the whole picture for most people, and they certainly don’t want to use an unnecessary bigger and heavier battery to add the cost and weight. And it isn’t Mazda’s responsibility to give us a bigger battery to support our own add-on devices. The Group 51R battery on my 1998 Honda CR-V is even smaller with less CCA’s, and I have no trouble to use that tiny Group 51R battery for the past 23 years.

Back