What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Worked on making a tow hook with bolts and spare parts. I think I will put a loop on the long one. The short one won't work in the front. I figure the front one would only need to handle about 500 pounds of pull to get a CX-5 up a tilted flatbed tow truck.

TowHook.JPG

LOL. Left a few cars in the dust with the grocery getter 😆. I just put it in sport mode, tried to brake boost by holding the brake pedal and gave a tiny bit of gas. Since the torque already comes down low i figured it didn't need much.
That's how to do it. Now I want to take mine on the drag strip just to see how slow mine goes :)

Where did you get this bumper guard? It looks nicer than the one Mazda USA shows on their website.
I did a lot of research and https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) got the best reviews I could find. After owning it, I agree that it is a good choice. There are 2 downsides that you would have to deal with. It costs $40 shipping, and it comes on the VERY slow boat from China. It took about 6-7 weeks for me to get mine, which is crazy after paying $40 shipping from Amazon. I don't regret it though, and I'll probably do it again for my wife's CX-5 that we're hopefully picking up tomorrow.

That's how to do it. Now I want to take mine on the drag strip just to see how slow mine goes :)
Slow or fast, a small SUV can win at the strip. I haven’t tracked my CE yet (too hot) but the last time I tracked my ‘19 2.0T Cherokee it beat an LS Camaro and an SRT Challenger. How? Easy, I bracket race (the most popular type of drag racing by far) where skill at dial-in, at the light and down the track are what win. It’s not for everyone, but folks who think that only performance cars can drag race just don’t know much about racing.

It was an old CRX..that car had a terrible launch. Yes, I have ordered a JB4 and waiting on it to arrive!
Is that basically like a Cobb Accessport in functionality? I looked at the website and it looked like there were more connections than just plugging it in to the OBDII port?

Added Nav SD card, cargo tray, cargo cover -- all on the cheap, thank you ebay/amazon. It's a lease so I don't care to invest in high quality accessories, just decent enough to last 3 years.

Is that basically like a Cobb Accessport in functionality? I looked at the website and it looked like there were more connections than just plugging it in to the OBDII port?
Cobb Accessport reprograms your car's ECU to bring the motor's performance to a higher level, likely closer to a failure point.

JB4 is a 'piggyback'. It intercepts the instructions from the ECU, and alters them by some percentage, before sending the (now altered) signal to the component it was going to instruct.

So, if the ECU is telling the turbocharger's bypass to open at xx.0 psi, it will now open at xx.1 psi, thus giving you more boost.

Accessport can do more, but may be traceable by the dealer, if he looks for it. JB4 can do less, but if you remove it, it leaves no fingerprints

Over simplification, but basically true, I believe.

Frank

Last edited:
Replaced front pads & rotors on our 16.5 cx5 touring this weekend while I was swapping the summer wheels/tires on. The rotors were causing some pulsing during stops so went ahead and changed everything out. 105.5k miles on original pads & rotors with even wear 4mm inside and 5mm outside pads remaining. Those could've gone another 30k miles I think.

Raybestos element3 pads & coated rotors.

Job was very straightforward and easy. 14mm caliper pin bolts, 17mm bracket bolts. Rotors popped right off when the m8 x 1.25 bolt was screwed into extractor hole. Caliper slide pins were free moving and boots were intact. Gently push the caliper piston back in with a c-clamp and wire brushed the pad seats in the bracket and installed new "clips" and the pads popped easily in. I've been impressed with how easy Mazda's have been to work on.

Should be good for another 100k miles
Are the rotors Raybestos as well? Is the pulsing feel like when your braking it's on and off?

Are the rotors Raybestos as well?
Yep ... Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/rotors-drums/element-3-rotors.html I like that they are coated so hold up better if your in an area that uses road salt in the winter.

Is the pulsing feel like when your braking it's on and off?
Yes indeed. At higher speeds like exiting a freeway ramp it would even shimmy the steering wheel slightly sometimes. At low speeds approaching a traffic signal with a light foot on the brake would be most noticeable. Nothing horrible just irritating.

Vinyl overlays for the fogs, after researching that the sealed unit doesn’t really allow for different bulbs (LEDs). It’s for the look— the fogs do little, though for the 360° view they’re helpful for the front camera. Anyways, only $10 (which is stupid bc I know the actual “cost” of the vinyl is minuscule). Easy wet install with some soapy water. Had to trim them— bought too large a diameter.

Top tip— if you crease or stretch the vinyl somewhat, hit it with some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. It’s like starting over (unless you really screwed it up).

Also recently installed:

Retractable trunk cover, OEM
Side window visors, OEM
“Mazda” older font silver on black license plate frame, offbrand eBay
35% ceramic tint, +sunroof and windshield strip, unsure of brand

Awaiting install

Black front grill overlays (covers the chrome). I need to wrap them they arrived damaged (agreed to partial refund). eBay/China. Now I’m thinking I’ll just wrap that part of the car? IDK. I’m OK at vinyl wraps— that front grill is a crazy shape.

Got a quote for black powder coating on the 19’s. $520 is less than my friend who’s in the business told me (he said up to $160 a wheel), so that’s gonna be a go.

Lastly…. Corksport exhaust 8/18…. Maybe finally(?)

It’s coming together. What a great car. Such a pleasure to drive.

Attachments

• BC9EFB7E-DE5E-4F9E-89A5-135AFCD24250.jpeg
    BC9EFB7E-DE5E-4F9E-89A5-135AFCD24250.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 140
  • B7F7C757-854F-4B98-8A18-0CE66F7A78B4.jpeg
    B7F7C757-854F-4B98-8A18-0CE66F7A78B4.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Strong Storm last night, pushed pine needles and everything else up in my Maz' guts. Had to do some work.

Attachments

• 20210815_143913.jpg
    20210815_143913.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210815_143846.jpg
    20210815_143846.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 232
  • 20210815_143932.jpg
    20210815_143932.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 243
Yep ... Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/rotors-drums/element-3-rotors.html I like that they are coated so hold up better if your in an area that uses road salt in the winter.

Yes indeed. At higher speeds like exiting a freeway ramp it would even shimmy the steering wheel slightly sometimes. At low speeds approaching a traffic signal with a light foot on the brake would be most noticeable. Nothing horrible just irritating.
I had the same issue with the Element 3 combo. Ended up taking them off. Akobono and Centric 120 works much better for me now

I had the same issue with the Element 3 combo. Ended up taking them off. Akobono and Centric 120 works much better for me now
The uneven rotors were the oem Mazda after 100k miles. I've not had any issues with the Raybestos rotors. I imagine the brands you listed are just fine as well.

Interesting, let us know how the install goes. Wouldn't mind one for our 2014, but I kinda like not having anything in the way whenever I need to remove the engine cover.

Back