Car Jiggles After 30 Sec At Stoplight

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I've noticed that after I've had my foot on the brake at a stoplight for 30 seconds or so the car jiggles briefly. My impression is it is changing gear or something. Anyone know?

Describe “jiggles”. Is it the entire vehicle, the steering wheel, or what? For one second or five? The dictionary says jiggle means: “move about lightly and quickly from side to side or up and down”. Just trying to figure out what you mean so we can try to help.

Yes jiggles as the dictionary says though I can't say up or down or side side but it is very brief, a second or so. It's not a problem or issue, just curious to know what it's doing.

Likely the cylinder deactivation when you are at idle at a light. Mine does the same thing.
His handle caption says 2020 Signature. If that's the same in Mexico as the US, it's a turbo without cylinder deactivation. My 2020 Touring with CD does not do this.

Yes mine is registered here in Colombia as a 2020 model though I was challanged on that when I first started posting here as models designated 2020 were not yet on sale up there in the US. And yes it's a turbo. The car was imported to Colombia from Japan. Possibly not the same as cars delivered to Mexico, I don't know.

Yes mine is registered here in Colombia as a 2020 model though I was challanged on that when I first started posting here as models designated 2020 were not yet on sale up there in the US. And yes it's a turbo. The car was imported to Colombia from Japan. Possibly not the same as cars delivered to Mexico, I don't know.
Sorry, Columbia not Mexico, but same difference for the discussion--you confirmed it's a turbo which does not have cylinder deactivation as you were probably already aware.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, the comment in post #3 was the first thing that came to my mind. Otherwise, maybe moisture in the gas causing a little low RPM stumble, but that's a long shot. Turbo owners would have more insight.

Or combination of direct injection + very low RPM idle (550) + intake manifold design = poor fuel/air mixing at idle. In other words, poor air swirl at low RPM, resulting in slight random power imbalances across cylinders. Mine has always had somewhat lumpy idle, as did a 2020 loaner Mazda 3 sedan with 1000 miles on it. When the A/C compressor cycles it's usually lumpy up and down as well. It seems somewhat smoother--maybe approaching smooth with the A/C off--during cooler weather.

Check it with the AC off. See if it still jiggles. It' probably the compressor cycling.
I've noticed in my GTR the tack will move up from roughly 600 to apprx 700 rpm then settle back down to 600 (if it's a long red light).
Haven't noticed it in our 16 Touring.

I dont get a jiggle but have noticed a "bump/jolt" feeling after sitting at a light for 20-30 seconds. I've mistaken it for someone hitting me from the rear a couple of times. Car only has 600 miles and is a Carbon edition Turbo AWD.

Have no idea what it is but I'm guessing transfer case/transmission related. Never experienced anything like it. It is NOT gas moving around in the tank or cylinder deactivation since I have a turbo.

Could it be the mechanical clutch engaging/disengaging? I’ve not noticed this with my CX.

Could it be the mechanical clutch engaging/disengaging? I’ve not noticed this with my CX.
Came to say, 2021 Signature and have not had any similar "jolt" while waiting at an extended stop. Certainly not something where I've wondered if I had been rear ended.

Anyone with the issue take the car to the dealer for an opinion? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer to inquire, but would be good to know if anyone else had it addressed. Id say I feel it every other time I drive around town. Car is under warranty being brand new and all...yet i have a feeling they will just mutter "as designed, no issue." during diagnosis.

EDIT: I searched the forum and found a similar description given by owner for a previous gen CX5: Anybody else feel funky downshift while sitting at a stop light?

Last edited:
I experience the "someone tapped my bumper" maybe 3 times a year. Always when I'm not paying attention to the tach to observe any RPM changes when that happens; aka a canister purge or VVti test.

Back