Synthetic Oil, oil change interval

You do realize that what they want and how they do it before sale is different than how they treat you after sale right? Again they don't care how they get the market share, they just want to reel you in and play your mind to make you think like they care but in reality it's all smoke and mirrors because when it comes down to something breaking right outside warranty and they tell you to go pound sand, you're the sucker then. In today's world you have to be educated, informed and smart with your money and do all the research you possibly can before investing in something unless you're the type of person who gets rid of their cars every 3 years or sooner in which you're guaranteed to have mostly reliable transportation without expense. Take for example Hyundai and Kia. Sure they tout you in to their dealerships and get you to buy by offering a 5-year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 10-year hundred thousand mile powertrain warranty but that really doesn't help if your car is broken down all the time and in the shop for repairs under warranty, and that's if you're lucky enough to make it to 100,000 miles without some dealer spewing BS on why something is broken and not covered under warranty when it should be and fighting with them to get it fixed. People buy Hyundai and Kia because they're good looking cars with feature value for a reasonable amount of money but in reality they are poorly designed low reliability vehicles with no resale value but people eat up the BS and think that the company actually cares about them. They only care about the short-term fiscal quarter and profits to make their investors happy, not long-term brand reputation. There's a reason why Honda and Toyota don't have to pull nonsense tactics, and that's because their brand can sell themselves. They cost a bit more but the return on investment far far substantiates the purchase on double and triple the longevity. And by the way, their quality and reliability has also been slipping in recent years but compared to American and European brands, the latter is absolute garbage. LMAO people need to wake up.
I think Hyundai and Kia now make excellent cars. They still have their spontaneous combustion issues, lol, but they really designed their cars smart and to be durable. Their reputation is still spoiled from the crap they threw together in the 90's.

For the anti-oil life monitor crowd, keep in mind that the max it will go is 7500mi or 1 year. Except on the Mazda3/CX30. It will go to 10k miles/1 year on those

For the anti-oil life monitor crowd, keep in mind that the max it will go is 7500mi or 1 year. Except on the Mazda3/CX30. It will go to 10k miles/1 year on those
And for my 2016 CX-5, the Flexible OCI is also up to 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

I think we just need to get off his lawn. :p

You do realize that what they want and how they do it before sale is different than how they treat you after sale right?
I've only ever bought one new car but that was not my experience at all. And the Volvo dealer that used to service my Volvo that I bought used and not from them always treated me well and with respect and even warranty replaced something for me when the car was out of warranty.

Again they don't care how they get the market share, they just want to reel you in and play your mind to make you think like they care
Show me on the doll where the bad dealer touched you. I think you have a very misguided opinion of your fellow man if you think ANY OF US actually think a car company really, deep down... "cares" for us?!?

but in reality it's all smoke and mirrors because when it comes down to something breaking right outside warranty and they tell you to go pound sand, you're the sucker then.
Honda and Toyota don't do that? How long outside of warranty do they take care of you?

People buy Hyundai and Kia because they're good looking cars with feature value for a reasonable amount of money but in reality they are poorly designed low reliability vehicles
Kia and Hyundai are regularly ranked to be pretty reliable actually.

with no resale value but people eat up the BS and think that the company actually cares about them.
Again with the "cares about them" crap? No one thinks car companies care all that much for them. I bet most people think they stop caring the second you get off the lot. Where does this come from? You think Mazda CARES about you?

There's a reason why Honda and Toyota don't have to pull nonsense tactics, and that's because their brand can sell themselves.
Yea. See my story about the 80's. :D
LMAO people need to wake up.
We're awake. No one buys cars based on... thinking a car company cares about them.

Car stealerships are evil, and the only reason they still exist in the 21st Century is they have a forced monopoly that was setup by the various state legislatures 100 years ago.

Because car dealers donate BIG TIME to state Senators and Representatives, that monopoly is protected.

Yet another example of Government Corporate Welfare at the expense to the consumer.

Tesla tried to fight this, and lost because the dealers have the politicians in their back pockets.

I truly believe that most of the hated that people have towards car companies arises not from the cars themselves, but from trying to deal with the stealerships. (Except Dodge. Dodge is horrible, and there's a reason they went bankrupt. Twice.)

I think we're getting too far away from the original topic. Let's stick to dealer recommended OCIs vs. manufacturer recommended OCIs and leave the politics out of it.

I think the simplest answer is to follow what the Owner's Manual recommends for your region. Sometimes you get a decent dealer/service tech, but most of the time they just want to squeeze as much profit out of you as they can. More than likely, they got you to use your free oil changes early so that you'd be paying them for oil changes sooner than you'd need to (if you were to continue getting your oil changed by them), and probably to get you used to their oil change intervals (so you'd end up spending more than you'd need to over the years).

Go to Costco and buy their brand GF6 full synthetic. 10 quarts for $24. Change every 4k on the 2.5T. especially with short trips etc which is considered severe service. Oil is cheap, engines are not.
Are you sure the Costco Kirkland brand oil is GF-6? There is nothing on the website to indicate its specs and I would swear that when I was looking at the cases a few months ago it was GF-5 ...

Are you sure the Costco Kirkland brand oil is GF-6? There is nothing on the website to indicate its specs and I would swear that when I was looking at the cases a few months ago it was GF-5 ...
Yes absolutely it is. It is on the bottles and case. I have it and use it in both my 2020 Mazda 2.5 and 2.5T engines. I'll be happy to post a pic if that helps

I bought some of that oil yesterday for an upcoming oil change, and I actually have a couple of pictures on my phone. Here you go:

20210727_201600.jpg

20210727_201622.jpg

Thanks!

After reading the 540 RAT blog (540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths) I was thinking I would be getting the Quaker State Full Synthetic because the Costco oil was still GF5. I wonder if they switched from GF-5 to GF-6 since I checked last (about two months ago)?

I bought some of that oil yesterday for an upcoming oil change, and I actually have a couple of pictures on my phone. Here you go:

View attachment 301611
View attachment 301612
ILSAC GF-6 has two subcategories: GF-6A and GF-6B. Costco Kirkland 5W-30 oil has GF-6A, but Idemitsu SP/GF-6 5W-30 oil has GF-6B specification. GF-6B is supposed to have even better fuel economy and some other benefits.

2B2A7DC2-3B2F-4C37-A6FF-2F46985FE885.jpeg

91DF439E-2C7C-4F8E-90E9-B1C5F7ECF54B.jpeg

08CA15B1-9BAE-4947-87A2-F79EA3E26B3A.jpeg

GF-6b is only for 0w-16 oil, not for our vehicles. GF-6A is the correct oil to use. There is no such thing as GF6-B 5w-30 oil

Yes many articles say GF-6B is for 0W-16 oil only. But the article like the one you posted seems to be saying GF-6B is just a “proposal”. Strangely the back label of Idemitsu SP/GF-6 5W-30 oil clearly stated it meets GF-6B specification (see pictures in my previous post).

Back