2020 CX-9 vent rattle

My 2020 CX9 developed a rattle shortly after purchased (1/2020). It happens intermediately. (But usually ever day) Had it back to dealer sever time and naturally it would not occur. It occurs while driving on roads which may cause slight vibrations. You don't need to go over any hard bumps for it to start. If I press hard on the passenger side air vent it seems to go away. When I release the pressure it comes back. To me it is either the vent or something it the dash surrounding the vent. Anyone have any ideas? Please help, this is very annoying in a vehicle that should have a quiet interior.

Have a friend record the noise while you drive the car on a road that causes the noise to appear. Also have them apply pressure to the area to show that it goes away and comes back. Then bring the video to the dealership to show the service desk. If they still refuse, request to have a tech ride along with you in the car, then drive on a road that you know can cause the issue. If they refuse to do that, you can try a different dealer or you can escalate to Mazda Corporate.

It sounds like the issue might be a loose-hanging cable or contact between two plastic parts that should normally be tight. I would expect them to pull out the vents and apply some 3M foam tape to minimize contact, or zip tie loose cables together to prevent them from making noise.

Me too. I've found a couple others reporting this. How did you make out?

It's been much worse since the temps dropped.

Same problem. Mine is on the drivers side vent. It seems for me most obvious when hot outside and AC blowing cold inside through the vents.

After several visits the shop found my rattle. It had to do with an loose air bag component located in the dash on the passenger side. I really was surprised it was not the vent since putting pressure on the vent stopped the noise.
I have mine at the dealer now. Had a video recording of the sound and was able to demonstrate it. Let’s see.

Third day in the shop and the tech has not found the rattle...
Got it back on day 4. Each time I called I was told the tech was working with Mazda on the phone. I didn't get a clear picture of what they did. But they added some padding or other material in the area.

I could reproduce the rattle by knocking on a spot on the right of the glove box. Now I can't, so it seems like they got it.

Back