P5 Suspension Upgrade Questions

:
Protege5
Hey Guys,

I got a new engine in the P5 and decided that if i want to keep it i really should do something about the suspension. It has 163k on it right now and probably will be 170k before anything gets done. This car is my DD for work and I am looking for a suspension upgrade that won't drop the car all that much.

I did some searching about it seems that the two closest to replacement options are KYB or Tokico HP (blues). The KYB's from what I have read *are* OEM replacements while the tokico's are upgrades.

I'm looking specifically at the HPK247 kit which includes the tokico struts but also has tokico springs. I checked the spring buyers guide and it doesn't have them listed. I did some searching and it seems that lack of info on the springs seems to be a problem. I figure since they are in kit together they were probably matched in some fashion or another. Now my real question is, does the kit sag in the back? Does anyone have good side pictures of the kit on a p5?

I know the kit says for the protege but I am assuming the p5 is heavier in the back.

thanks all!

According to the Tokico website (http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/tokicogasshocks/app/Mazda.html), the HPK247 will drop the front 1.25" and the rear 1.75". I think that is the "sag" in the rear. Another option would be to go with the Tokico blues with Eibach 5541.140 Pro-Kit springs (Protege5 specific) 1.4" drop front and 1.2" drop rear.

2003/2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege (1051.91 lbs in rear)
Curb Weight (Federal spec) - 2843 lbs.
Weight Distribution, % front/rear - 63 / 37

2003 Protege5 (1086.4 lbs in rear)
Curb Weight 5-speed Manual - 2716
Curb Weight 4-speed Automatic - 2749
Weight Distribution, % front/rear - 60 / 40

Tokico Blues with Eibach springs is a good thing. This combo looks good, performs well and doesn't make for a harsh daily ride.

P5's are actually shorter than sedans.

The Eibachs do look nice, but I'm not one for progressive rate springs, however I think they will work the best with your application for a comfortable ride.

Another idea would be to source an entire MSP suspension. The rear struts have different perch heights than regular Proteges, so just using the springs will cause a lower rear. It's a mild drop, and comfortable still.

I have Stock MSP Front Springs AND Stock MSP Front Struts. 101,000 miles on them and my New OEM Front Replacements don't feel any different! Never been on a track, were used for street use only.

If there is interest I will post a pic of them. $5.00 plus actual shipping for the 4 pieces.

the stock struts on my p5 were made by tokico and this past summer i have replaced them all with the tokico hp (blues) and to be perfectly honest these new tokico hp struts feel slightly stiffer than when my car was brand new on original struts. this slightly stiffer feel could be also caused by my lower profile tires (205/40/16) which i keep inflated at higher pressure to minimize rim damage if i hit a pothole. but im happy with the blues and recommend them. also i got them in may on ebay for us$345 shipped)

The tire size could have a bit to do with it. Even just the different specs of the sidewall of the tire can make a big difference too.

Interesting,

Thank you guys for the advice. I think i may try to find the Tokico blues with the eibach springs. Time to do some price comparisons and see who has the best deals. Is it worth doing any of the other suspension bits while I am there? I'm trying to keep this as cushy as possible so anything thats gonna add NVH I will pass on. I have one car with linear springs, subframe connectors and poly mounts that hurts my kidneys when I drive... I want to keep this one smooth for lots of miles!

if i were you i would not change the stock springs. my stock springs with the blues make e the ride stiff enough while still making it comfortable to drive especially on long trips. When i was planning to change the struts earlier this year i talked to a few guys at the local meets and they advised me to keep the stock springs if i was going to get the new tokico blues as those are stiffer than stock p5 tokicos and if i also changed the springs this would make it far more bouncy and tiring on long trips.
Interesting,

Thank you guys for the advice. I think i may try to find the Tokico blues with the eibach springs. Time to do some price comparisons and see who has the best deals. Is it worth doing any of the other suspension bits while I am there? I'm trying to keep this as cushy as possible so anything thats gonna add NVH I will pass on. I have one car with linear springs, subframe connectors and poly mounts that hurts my kidneys when I drive... I want to keep this one smooth for lots of miles!

if i were you i would not change the stock springs. my stock springs with the blues make e the ride stiff enough while still making it comfortable to drive especially on long trips. When i was planning to change the struts earlier this year i talked to a few guys at the local meets and they advised me to keep the stock springs if i was going to get the new tokico blues as those are stiffer than stock p5 tokicos and if i also changed the springs this would make it far more bouncy and tiring on long trips.

keep the stock springs if you like having a P5 that looks like a 4X4 lol

I have the Tein S-techs on Blues on my P5. It's nowhere near as stiff as my Mazdaspeed MX5's stock suspension... for what it's worth. The S-techs are one of the stiffest non-coilover setups for the Protege. Then again, I may have been used to the Mazdaspeed b-spec springs I used to have which were pretty much the stiffest, and most rare springs you could find for it. Only lowered 1.25" or so.

I have Stock MSP Front Springs AND Stock MSP Front Struts. 101,000 miles on them and my New OEM Front Replacements don't feel any different! Never been on a track, were used for street use only.

If there is interest I will post a pic of them. $5.00 plus actual shipping for the 4 pieces.

Will the MSP Springs and Struts fit a P5?

tokico blues are stock on the msp so they will fit. i think springs will also.

EDITED for clarity.

MSP springs + MSP struts on a P5 = good.
MSP springs + P5 struts on a P5 = rear end sag.

Reason being the MSP strut spring perch is higher on the strut than the P5 strut.

so i guess only the fronts are 100% compatible.
The rear struts for the MSP and the P5 have different heights on the spring perch. You can use them, but the rear will sit too low if you use the P5 struts. If you use the MSP struts on the P5, it will be fine.

Check my edit. My post was jibberish. hahaha.

Lemme grab you a pic of a P5 on MSP suspension.

Ok, here are a couple. On the attached picture, the first silver P5 is mine on stock suspension. The middle is Rob's car on MSP springs and Blues for a P5, and the 3rd is Chris' P5 on Tein S-techs and blues.

DSC03094.JPG

it appears as the msp in the pic is same height in the rear as stock p5. also the middle p5 has 17s on which make it look lower.

Back