Roll call: Short ram intake users

hat1018

:
2003 Protege5, 2006 Mazda3, 2015 CX5
I am trying to get a definitive answer on heatsoak. Has anyone had problems no matter how slight, when stuck in traffic on a hot/humid day with stalling, hesitation, or lack of power.

I do a little when really hot here in DC (recently it is been high 90s) with AC on in traffic/frequent stops, but not so much recently..just in the beginning I think...but then again, I really don't use AC that much.

Last edited:
Have had my Corksport SRI for about a month and have had no problems up here in WI, I haven't had too much sitting in traffic though, mostly city driving. Oh and the past two weeks have been in the 90's.

I have not done any intake mods because I am worried about heatsoak (short ram) or even hydrolock (cold air). It has been in high 80's and low 90's here in Ohio with humidity numbers to match. It gets me wondering if there are people having problems. When I make my mods I want them to be carefree! The more I read the more I want to stay away from them as far as the intakes are concerned, maybe just a resonator delete but I read a dyno test that showed no gain in h.p. just noise.

The only thing that I was really worried about when I baught my intake was making sure it was reliably tested so I didn't get a CEL and not hydro-locking my car. I went with a SRI so the water would have to be deep enough to completely flood my car before it would suck it in. I went with Corksports SRI because Corksport has a very good reputation on these forums and has great support. Just a side note, I did drive through 3-4 inches of water on Thursday on my way to work and I popped the hood once I got to work and my SRI was completely dry. I do still have the lower part of the stock airbox installed yet, and the dirt shield thingy (the pain in the butt piece that has to be removed for an oil change). Those things may help keep water out too. As for heat soak, like I said earlier I haven't really been in a situation that would cause heat soak yet. If you are worried about heat soak you could make a heat shield for a SRI. This would basically wall off the SRI from the engine so the heat wouldn't transfer through as much.

I have a COBB SRI on my speed 3 and on a few very hot days I have noticed a slight rough idle while stopped at traffic lights but nothing major.

I am in DC traffic with stop signs every 20 feet on days of high 90s. as long as you are moving, I wouldn't worry too much about it....

I had a SRI and down here in TX its 95+ in the winter, summers reach 100+ and its extremely humid to top it off, and traffic forget about it some highways are parking lots, access roads are worse. and with all that I didnt think all that hot air was good for performance and I figure if I wouldnt want to breath all that in why should my car so I went CAI and never looked back. IMO CAI is the way to go but thats just me

in regards to high temps, CAI is undoubtedly better. but I have heard that the performance difference is negligible and the risk of hydrolock and screwing my engine is just horrible. with that info, I would gladly accept the hesitation from a standstill in really hot temps.

in regards to high temps, CAI is undoubtedly better. but I have heard that the performance difference is negligible and the risk of hydrolock and screwing my engine is just horrible. with that info, I would gladly accept the hesitation from a standstill in really hot temps.

You won't get the heatsoak issues with the Simota CBII SRI, the filter sits inside a nice Carbon Fiber-covered canister. I've never really been able to get
started on this forum but I sell gazillions of them elsewhere.

I went to Simota site. What exactly is a Twin Charger? The price seems good just have never seen one or heard of it for that matter.

I went to Simota site. What exactly is a Twin Charger? The price seems good just have never seen one or heard of it for that matter.

They are pretty rare these days. It was a really good CAI for the price. Most people just kind of ignored it, never really understood why.
The Twin Charger uses a Venturi-Effect piping design to help speed up the
air velocity into the throttle body.

Are there perhaps better/larger pics of the short ram and twin charger (if still available).

Are there perhaps better/larger pics of the short ram and twin charger (if still available).

I don't sell the Twin Charger any more, but here's the CBII. The band underneath the bracket is black now, though, not blue.

Attachments

• M3CBIIParts.JPG
    M3CBIIParts.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 119
  • M3CBII.jpg
    M3CBII.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back