ac doesnt blow any air at all

Patio

I'm not sure what's wrong. I have a 2002 protege5, it started the other day when I turned on my car and noticed no air coming out at all. Halfway down the road it started blowing air and worked for a while. Now it only blows air out really low and after about 10 mins it slows down until no more air comes out.

I looked at the ac line and it started freezing over when the air stops coming out, so I just turn it off when it stops blowing.

I would like to fix it myself, if possible

Does it not work/works the same on all fan speeds? You could just need a recharge of freon. If thats the case, head down to your local car parts store. They should carry the freon cans so you can do it yourself. The system holds 21.2 oz of freon

Replace the blower motor. Also check the blower motor resistor for black burn marks, if you see any replace the resistor as well. To me it sounds like your blower motor is dead.

Replace the blower motor. Also check the blower motor resistor for black burn marks, if you see any replace the resistor as well. To me it sounds like your blower motor is dead.

I would try the resistor first - it's usually a lot cheaper. I have a '95 Nissan Sentra, and this is what needs to be replaced in 99.5% of the cases where the fan controls do not work.

When the resistor goes out the typical symptom is the blower only operates in high. If the blower dosen't work in any speed or works intermittently it is usually the blower motor itself.

i had the same problem not to long ago and found the solution, first checked all the lines, fuses, relays and none of those were it. So i pulled out the blower and it was stuck so i turned it and i heard a crack it was dirt that made it stuck so i hosed it down with hot water and let dry, also changed out the moduale and that fixed my issue. i had gotten these moduals from the junk yard try several and got one that worked on all 4 speeds. i will post the pic of the modual i was referring to. hope this helps, any trouble just hit me with a PM

Attachments

• IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
When the resistor goes out the typical symptom is the blower only operates in high. If the blower dosen't work in any speed or works intermittently it is usually the blower motor itself.

d'oh! i'm an idiot - that's what i was thinking, not what i typed.

It was the blower motor guys. Thanks for all input. Funny thing, or not so funny since its getting hot in Texas, I bought an aftermarket one from O'rly's and it works but hardly any air comes out of the vents. I tested it with the blower motor out in the open and turned it on and air definitely comes from it but not as much as I remember coming from the vents with the previous blower motor. Oh well, time to go return this one and get the Mazda OEM one for $40 more. I guess that's an FYI for anyone doing a search looking to replace the blower motor themselves later on. Also I would like to add that my AC used to not work in 2 or 3, actually it would flicker on/off while in 2 or 3 and now it works fine. The light stays on in all positions after replacing the blower motor. I also reseated the resistor which is the plug right behind the glove box. The blower motor itself is a piece of cake once you figure out that there's only 3 screws holding it in place. I can post up a how to later on once I get the OEM one.

I am curious, why is that resister screwed inside of the vents? I had to replace mine for the issue of it only working on speed 4, and I thought it was strange it would stick inside the vent. Is there a reason other than to save space or something?

I had the same problem. I replaced the blower motor resistor (it was extremely easy and too 10 minutes). No help.

The blower motor looks to be in the same area. I'm gonna see if some debris is stuck in it before I get a new one...sometimes hitting a pothole makes the blower motor kick in!

I had the same problem. I replaced the blower motor resistor (it was extremely easy and too 10 minutes). No help.

The blower motor looks to be in the same area. I'm gonna see if some debris is stuck in it before I get a new one...sometimes hitting a pothole makes the blower motor kick in!

Like was said above, if none of the speeds are working, the resistor is not the problem. If the resistor goes bad, your blower will still work on the top speed. It just won't work on the lower speeds, because the resistor is no longer able to "step down" your fan speed.

It was the blower motor guys. Thanks for all input. Funny thing, or not so funny since its getting hot in Texas, I bought an aftermarket one from O'rly's and it works but hardly any air comes out of the vents. I tested it with the blower motor out in the open and turned it on and air definitely comes from it but not as much as I remember coming from the vents with the previous blower motor. Oh well, time to go return this one and get the Mazda OEM one for $40 more. I guess that's an FYI for anyone doing a search looking to replace the blower motor themselves later on. Also I would like to add that my AC used to not work in 2 or 3, actually it would flicker on/off while in 2 or 3 and now it works fine. The light stays on in all positions after replacing the blower motor. I also reseated the resistor which is the plug right behind the glove box. The blower motor itself is a piece of cake once you figure out that there's only 3 screws holding it in place. I can post up a how to later on once I get the OEM one.
For the AC shutting off on certain settings, check out this thread. I had that same issue recently and this was the solution. Best part is that you don't have to buy any new parts.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123678787

Where exactly is the blower motor located? Is it behind the glovebox near the resistor? Just figured I'd ask before getting to it.

Back