Buy OEM navi system aftermarket?

lindsayt

:
Mazda 5
So I have a 2010 Sport because that's what comes with a stick in the US. The dealer offers no possibilitiy of integrated nav for the Sport, for any amount of money. I'd hate to install an aftermarket unit because then the nice factory buttons and display above the DIN slots would not function; I assume the factory nav system still uses those, right? Anyway, is it possible to just buy the factory nav system and face plate, and install them myself?

I would say yes, but that would need verified. I'm 90% sure anything in the dash is plug and play.

that is an interesting mounting location. how is it for connecting to the satalites?

njaremka,

I guess it all depends on your type of GPS... Nothing to do with the installation.

What I can tell you is that mine is the same setup as the link above, and since I have it, always been satisfied. My '06 (same as yours) has a nice spot to stick the GPS. What I did, is installing a double sided tape on the dash, then some magnets sticking on the tape.

On the other end (on the GPS), I put tape in the back, and 2 small metal plates so that the magnet would grab them. It looks neet, and without any hassle should you want to remove it at a later time.

Here is the only picture I have of it... I should take a few pics of my installation behind. It may seems that the GPS is blocking my controls, but not at all. It is simply the angle of the camera.

There are some units available on ebay (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)) but then again, for that price, you can get 2 GPS!!

And seriously, I like the fact that I can easily remove it from its location and bring it with me, should we use our other car.

Think about it before making an expensive decision!

Cheers.

Attachments

• 09-05-16-07.jpg
    09-05-16-07.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 350
Skyhawk,

I took the idea from you back then. And I thank you very much for it! Since it's installed, I'm very satisfied. And I think it's less visible to leave it on the console, than in the window.

I'd say go after-market. You'll save a ton of money, get a lot more functionality and only lose the radio portion of the LED display.

Tomorrow I'm installing a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT, and this is why...

1. Cost: About $700 ($475 refurbished unit, $40 Dash kit and harness, $55 PAC SWI-PS for retaining steering controls, and taxes and shipping).

2. Functionality: iPod connectivity and control, integrated handsfree Bluetooth for cell phones, MP3 playback from CD and SD memory card, video (DVD/MPEG4/DIVX/iPod) output on dash and on Clarion rear-seat entertainment display, and easily integrated sat radio if I want this in the future.

3. Updates: Pioneer is constantly developing new firmware and map updates.

4. Hacks: The OS on the head-unit is WinCE Mobile and there is a large community that has figured out how to modify the OS to run other Nav map packages, customize the look of the interface, and add new features.

I soldered up the harnesses today and hopefully get it installed tomorrow. Install pics to follow in a post tomorrow or Monday. ;)

Navigation technology.. is rapidly evolving for the better. I read they will soon produce products that will link my Portable navigation device to the car's computer.. I will then have the best of both worlds. Car integration, and portability.

right now my wish is for the car's radio to 'mute' when the gps or bluetooth kicks in. Not possible
at the moment. But there is hope in the near future.

http://www.insideline.com/lincoln/zephyr/2006/how-to-choose-a-navigation-system-built-in-or-portable.html

Last edited:
Back