Oil Change

ryguy

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
So the manual says every 7500 miles. Seems a bit long. Are there reasons to do that earlier?

I'd never wait more than 4500 miles. Usually closer to 3000

They usually recommend 7500 miles if you are driving mostly highway miles. Every 5000 miles if you do city/highway mixture. 3000 if only city.

When I had my Mazda3, I would change it every 5000. The dealership would always put on the windshield sticker to change it again in 5000 miles.

Highway - 7500
City/Hwy - 5000
City - 3000

I usually go for 5000 in my wife's cars (mostly driven around town, including the CX-9). When I do mostly highway miles in my car (not the CX-9), the car computer calculates about 7500-8000 per oil change. 3000 is excessive these days, in my opinion. Waste of money and oil to dispose of.

I just got our CX9 2 days ago. I plan to do an oil change by 1K, then at 3K and every 3K thereafter. It would not hurt to do it and only costs $30 every 3 months. I will be using Castrol Syntec.

Today's engines are built with very fine tolerances, and are not the engines of yesteryear that required a serious break in period and the discovery of fine metal shavings on the first oil change. That, combined with the advancement in oils and oil filters over the last 30 years, makes the 3K oil changes obsolete. You can easily go 5K between changes without any problems.

Why the difference between cylinders and when you will change the oil? I've never heard someone say that.

Follow the manual...

Follow the manual and Mazda will have a more difficult time denying warranty related engine issues. I follow the manufacturer's service intervals until the vehicle is out of warranty, then I do my own thing.

4 months/5000 miles according to manual

According to owners manual, the severe maintanance schedule states every 4 months or 5,000 miles, except Puerto Rico which is 3 months/3k miles.

I did not see 3mths/3k miles anywhere for US and Canada.

Screenshot attached...

Attachments

• CX9 Maintenance Schedule 2.jpg
    CX9 Maintenance Schedule 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 775
This makes sense...

The 5k interval makes sense as the new Ford vehicles (e.g., Edge, Taurus, MKZ, etc.) use the new 3.5 engine and that's the recommended interval for those vehicles as well.

I have the same doubt, so when to change the oil?

Some guy said if mainly city driven, then at 3000miles
The manual says 4 months (5000miles)

so whats the answer???

Or maybe change at 4 months no matter how many miles????? ( I mean even if there are less than 5000) ????

Well , finally saw the manual, and it says to change it every 6250miles or 6 months, so I'll do that. Thanks manual! hahaha

My first oil change...

I did my first oil change this last weekend. I don't know if the filters are all this way but, apparently, the filter gorillia was working the day my engine was built. The filter was on so tight I had to go to NAPA to get a special 3 jaw filter removal tool to get it off. A slick little device that grabs the filter tighter the harder you pull on the wratchet handle. It worked. But I had to crank on the filter so hard the clamping jaws deformed the filter's case.

The filter is only supposed to be tightened 3/4 of a turn after the gasket makes contact with the base and mine was easily 1 and 1/2 turns - WAY to tight.

Other than that the oil change was easy to do with the vehicle on the ground - no ramps needed.

Ted

Back