Mazdaspeed3 Turboback Exhaust System - Prototype Completed

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Thanks go out to tru-boost for loaning his car and his time for this project.

We've completed and installed our prototype turbo back exhaust system on tru-boost's mazdaspeed3. The system is a full three inch stainless steel system. Unlike some proposed systems, this includes a replacement downpipe. The prototype system uses a bottle resonator and a Vibrant TPV style muffler with a 4 inch angled tip. For emissions purposes we fitted the downpipe with a Vibrant high flow metal core converter. The car has not, after extensive testing, ever thrown a check engine light. This makes the exhaust system - in catted form - emissions legal.

There are minor fitment and contact issues that we will be ironing out before hitting production with these systems. Exhaust note is very nice and truly allows one to hear the powerband and the turbocharger. Acceleration is smooth and constant. We will be dynoing the exhaust system when the production model is ready. From my own drivability experiences I feel confident in two things - some tuning will be required to net the most on this car from any exhaust and there will be better gains on a catless system, regardless of how "high flow" it is.

Note to everyone changing out the downpipe - be careful with the primary o2 sensor. if you break it, its a $300 part and very hard to come by from mazda at this time.

We will be offering introductory pricing and while numbers are not set in stone, we aim to be at or under $1000 for a catless system and at or under $1300 for a catted system.

if you are interested in being a test car, please PM me or email me right away.

Attachments

• CAM_0783.JPG
    CAM_0783.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 659
  • CAM_0784.JPG
    CAM_0784.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 505
  • CAM_0785.JPG
    CAM_0785.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 447
  • CAM_0787.JPG
    CAM_0787.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
lol the first pic of the exhaust makes it look like a trucks turbo diesel exhaust. looks about to be id say a 5" exhaust system. but looks great hope for it to be out really soon, i want a louder system. i got bored and took out the second cat, i thought i would of thrown a cell but nothing yet and its been over 500 miles.

mdl247 said:
lol the first pic of the exhaust makes it look like a trucks turbo diesel exhaust. looks about to be id say a 5" exhaust system. but looks great hope for it to be out really soon, i want a louder system. i got bored and took out the second cat, i thought i would of thrown a cell but nothing yet and its been over 500 miles.

BUTT dyno tell you any difference? Just cause it didn't throw a cel doesn't mean your doing any better. Personally i like how the stock system is quiet.

How loud is this new system over stock?

justa4banger said:
BUTT dyno tell you any difference? Just cause it didn't throw a cel doesn't mean your doing any better. Personally i like how the stock system is quiet.

How loud is this new system over stock?

yes, i'm aware that not throwing a CEL does not mean more power. i mentioned that to reassure all the anti-CEL folk out there. on the mazdaspeed6, quite a few people have not purchased downpipes out of fear of the dreaded CEL, even if it does not hamper performance.

the system is louder than stock. tru-boost was very happy with the exhaust note, but thats going to be subjective person to person. when i can get a vid posted that will give you a good idea where we are at sound wise

mdl247 said:

5 inch? haha no way. clearance issues make it very difficult to fit anything larger than a 3 inch system on this car.

definitely looks huge in the first pic. should you use a flex section with this exhaust?

Captain KRM P5 said:
yes, i'm aware that not throwing a CEL does not mean more power. i mentioned that to reassure all the anti-CEL folk out there. on the mazdaspeed6, quite a few people have not purchased downpipes out of fear of the dreaded CEL, even if it does not hamper performance.
the system is louder than stock. tru-boost was very happy with the exhaust note, but thats going to be subjective person to person. when i can get a vid posted that will give you a good idea where we are at sound wise

5 inch? haha no way. clearance issues make it very difficult to fit anything larger than a 3 inch system on this car.

Personally i don't car whether a CEL is on or not, but where i Live the emission NAZI's do. I actually wasn't directing the question to you, but more to mdl247 to see if there was truely a butt dyno difference.
I know a larger DP will make a difference, its all about flow, the more OUT the more you can stuff in .......the bigger the smile on my face.

Maybe once the warranty is out on my ride i'll take out the lights that make of the CEL. then i won't have to look at it atleast.

justa4banger said:
Personally i don't car whether a CEL is on or not, but where i Live the emission NAZI's do. I actually wasn't directing the question to you, but more to mdl247 to see if there was truely a butt dyno difference.
I know a larger DP will make a difference, its all about flow, the more OUT the more you can stuff in .......the bigger the smile on my face.

Maybe once the warranty is out on my ride i'll take out the lights that make of the CEL. then i won't have to look at it atleast.

luckily we will be able to avoid CELs even without catalytic converters :)

MSP608 said:
definitely looks huge in the first pic. should you use a flex section with this exhaust?

the stock exhaust does not have traditional flex sections, so we went with none on the prototype. we will be adding them for the production model.

exhaust note is on the louder side, not obnoxious but quite a bit louder than stock. because this is not the production model i will not post any sound or video clips. the production version will more than likely not use the same muffler as that is part of the clearance issues. overall is is a great kit though even with the cat, butt dyno likes it !! it spools up much faster and has awesome low end power.... it always did but now it is crazy !! i get so much wheel hop i had to also get a motor mount from protege garage !! i will be doing the install on that today, i hope this will reduce the hop, at least a little.

the first two pics make the thing look ginormous! lol. any pics of it installed yet? just wondering how the muffler setup looks like on the speed3.

No cel even with the CAT removed????? YES i'm still listening.......................
What does that entale?

I dunno about the rest of America, but personally i don't care how loud it is OUTSIDE the car, Its INSIDE at cruise on the freeway i'm worried about.
I removed the 2 mufflers on my VW and installed a spintech muffler (VR6) and wow it was AWESOME, BUT damn if you couldn't think to yourself while cruising 80 down the road. the droning effect SUCKED. Thats my only concern.........oh and price of course.;)

dang nice work ken that looks like a nice exhaust. The downpipe section is great, i wish i had one that wasn't divided but oh well. I'm intertested to see what it looks like on the car when you get around to taking some pics.

nice lookin piece! Ive actually heard it rev up and down a bit and I gotta say it sounds incredible compared to stock.
how many peices will the full TBE eventually be? will it be in 3 peices like the stock setup? will you be selling just the dp and test pipe or will it be all or nothing.
There is another guy who is making parts that match up at the stock flange locations and I kinda dig that idea of being able to peice together a system peice by peice.

5 inch? haha no way. clearance issues make it very difficult to fit anything larger than a 3 inch system on this car.[/quote]

lol i know it isn't that i just basically sayin that the pic makes it look like one. my fren owns a 4wd shop and i'm always there helpin out and thats what some gibson's systems look llike

Back