Thunder header or TSUDO ?

SNike05 said:
Make sure you clean the header with alcohol, windex anything once installed but before you start up the engine. Clean it well.

As for the non-fouler its really used for spark plugs. So if you ask any auto shop for a "Spark plug non-fouler" for a 18mm spark plug they will show you where they are. You can get them at Canadian Tire I think. If they still don't know what it is explain to them you need something that protects the spark plugs from being fouled by oil hence non-foulers. Make sure you get the 18mm ones and you need two.

Here is some info:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=29

Hope this helps.

No...don't bother with Canadian Tire they know f*ck-all. Get the non-fouler from NAPA. Here's the part number...

730-2442

Description: Spark plug non-fouler 18mm long w/gasket.

zentrandi said:
Well im not bothered with my high end. i do prefer better lowend to higher top end. Where would i want to go more than 120 in houston anywho? To each their own

Yeah I geuss your Driving style & what you do with the car will definatly play a role.

Im more the "Spirited" type and I like to get the most acceleration out of her, so I shift arround 5500rpm to red-line, and normally the next gear after a shift grabs arround 4500rpm.

If you like to shift at high rpms you will want mid to high power gains (Arround 4500rpm and up) So your gears take advantage those gains.

I guess I just figure if your spending money on improving the preformance of the Protege, its for improved acceleration and not improved towing ability.

Last edited:
CanMP5 said:
No...don't bother with Canadian Tire they know f*ck-all. Get the non-fouler from NAPA. Here's the part number...

730-2442

THANK YOU!!!

CanMP5 said:

730-2442

Good stuff. Thanks for future reference.

Rac3rX said:
When looking at the pic of the thunder header, It apears as if its going to have the same issues with the EGR pipe lining up.

Anybody got more Pics of it?

Im checking if Im on the recall list as we speak.

FYI, the Thunder header does not have an EGR issue. It could not have been more perfectly aligned. Here is a closer look at the the collector piece.

Attachments

• th4.jpg
    th4.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 164
Looks good, and the EGR apears to lign up well (Pointed straight out the side and not angled forward)

Gotto Love the 4 - 1 design, and the pipes look 100% equal lenth.

I'm not so sure I like the 2 piece design though. Wouldn't that disrupt the airflow a little at the seam?

TheBryGuy said:
I'm not so sure I like the 2 piece design though. Wouldn't that disrupt the airflow a little at the seam?

I think the advantages of having a two-piece, perfectly-fitting header far outweight what tiny disruption would be caused. Don't forget, you are only about 12 inches from the initial flow and the pressure is just going to push the air through, anyway.

I really can't see how it would be a factor.

steve_protege said:
My thoughts exactly!!

When the hell are you gonna install this stuff anyway?!

Thunder suggests two people to install the exhaust pieces, esp on the 1.6's.
They said you should loosely bolt up all four pieces, then have one person hold the pieces in place and the other to tighten the bolts.

Alright So I got some Pics taken. Keep in mind the EGR is still capped off and I should have that figgured out next week.

dsc0004813jt.jpg

dsc000520pn.jpg

And the Cap. On the Pipe I used some alluminum muffler tape to close it up and keep the bolt in place.

dsc000519qr.jpg

You actually bought those nology wires they are like $200. Everything else looks great. Once you figure out the EGR thing you should be set to go.

Is your strut bar an ebay one?

SNike05 said:
You actually bought those nology wires they are like $200. Everything else looks great. Once you figure out the EGR thing you should be set to go.

Is your strut bar an ebay one?

Yeah, I Like the Nology wires (Grounded with a much bigger spark for the Denso Iridium Plugs) Laugh, but shes fricken quick! I got them off E-bay New in the BoX cheaper, same thing for the Denso Plugs. They also are the best looking wires for the protege, much nicer to look at then the stock wires.

Im cutting the valve cover and painting it soo, so that should make the engine bay pull together better.

Yeah for the EGR pipe Im going to worrie about it next week, Im tired of it.

I have the Tsudo and love it. Welds are good, install was cake (thanks to the How To on here) and for the price I am very pleased.

(lick)

Diehonda did you have trouble with the EGR pipe connecting to the header? What was your order or install?

No trouble at all with the egr lining up. Only had to pry it up about 1/16". I ordered it from Ebay and once I took the fan out and sprayed all or the bolts it was cake. Besides the two spring bolts on the resonator, which sucked and were replaced after removing.

Diehonda said:
No trouble at all with the egr lining up. Only had to pry it up about 1/16". I ordered it from Ebay and once I took the fan out and sprayed all or the bolts it was cake. Besides the two spring bolts on the resonator, which sucked and were replaced after removing.

I havnt done that, Im told it should make it go on, Im just to lazy to do it.

The 2 spring bolts conecting the headers to the mid pipe are whats stopping me. They take FOREVER to get off and I got no lift, I just drove one side up a side walk for more space.

Im going to have the shop that puts in my motor mounts do it.

CanMP5 said:

730-2442

I just came back from Napa & Canadian Tire, neithor knew what I was talking about, and stupid me forgot the part number.

Heads out the door with part number in hand

Im going to take some pics of this dame thing when I get it.

Back