Youtube video: Touge Battle CX-5 Fwd vs Awd

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
I ran across this video on youtube of a race between fwd and awd. Not sure if these were diesels, turbos, or n/a 2.5.

I didn’t see this posted here yet, I thought it was interesting that it came down to driver skill.

I only watched about 30 seconds.
Did they switch drivers to determine that it was driver skill?
Did both drivers know the 'track' like the back of their hands?
The FWD wasn't turbo for sure (not available)
Don't look like diesels either (just looking at tach rpm).

I only watched about 30 seconds.
Did they switch drivers to determine that it was driver skill?
Did both drivers know the 'track' like the back of their hands?
The FWD wasn't turbo for sure (not available)
Don't look like diesels either (just looking at tach rpm).
I rewatched the video, the lead fwd car is local and more experienced with the road but the awd camera car has some experience with the road as well.

Weight is negligible as the fwd had a passenger.

They have similar corner speeds. It seems the awd didn’t have an advantage that one would expect by being able to apply more power down mid-corner. I guess that maybe due to the limitations of a non performance awd system.

At some point in the uphill sections, the fwd starts to pull away in the straights and the rpms hang at 5k on the awd car. Not sure of awd system was overheating (no warning lights).

So not all driver skill, but the awd didn’t have an advantage that I was hoping for from a performance driving perspective.

I rewatched the video, the lead fwd car is local and more experienced with the road but the awd camera car has some experience with the road as well.

Weight is negligible as the fwd had a passenger.

They have similar corner speeds. It seems the awd didn’t have an advantage that one would expect by being able to apply more power down mid-corner. I guess that maybe due to the limitations of a non performance awd system.

At some point in the uphill sections, the fwd starts to pull away in the straights and the rpms hang at 5k on the awd car. Not sure of awd system was overheating (no warning lights).

So not all driver skill, but the awd didn’t have an advantage that I was hoping for from a performance driving perspective.
I think it was more due to the underpowered nature of the vehicles. IF the turbo was available in FWD, we would really see a difference then, I think, on corner exit.

Back