2017~2024 You can't turn off the Radio?

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Has anyone wondered why Mazda made the radio unable to turn off. I have a 2019 GT and don't know if this is the same on any earlier versions. When I first got it I tried to figure out how to turn it off and discovered I could only turn the volume down or mute it but could not turn it off? Oh well. :unsure:

Already a thread on this recently. You are correct, it does not turn off, but remains ready for reverse camera display and phone operation, etc.

Been that way since 2016, maybe earlier. No biggie, just mute it before you turn the car off.

I had the same question initially which has been extensively discussed elsewhere. Look at it this way. The only difference between a mute button and a true power button is you get a mute display on the screen. Just hit the home button on the console and the mute display goes away. That gets you to the same place.

I'm not sure why folks assume a power button would affect the display. We're talking about powering off the audio amp, not the screen.

You know, in thinking about this a little more, Mazda could simply relable the mute button on the console to say "audio power" and not display "mute" on the screen eliminating the need to hit the home button to access other screen functions. However, engineers are a literal bunch, and if we presume the audio amp is in fact always powered my suggestion would be a slight of hand deception even if transparant to the user. Enginners generally don't like doing that.

Why the audio amp is always powered up and whether it would matter if it wasn't might be interesting questions to answer but nothing I'd bother pursuing given hitting a home button is no particular inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do both of those things on the daily. What do either of them have to do with the volume?
It takes the BT so long to connect I can easily get the volume level where I want it.
And backing up?!?

I don't mind the lack of "off". What does bother me is no physical "pause/play".

Attachments

• hmi.GIF
    hmi.GIF
    154.3 KB · Views: 927
On the bright side. That's about the best, most convenient volume button of any car I've ever had.

Back