≃ 26 psi?
:
2002.5 Proteg LX, 2011 BMW 135i
*insert ff quote here*

i was racing at a time trial event this past weekend, and this happened:

photo.JPG by Jason D., on Flickr

good news is that rich/505 responded quickly and will fix it with extra bracing so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

here it is on video. you can't hear much but it happens right before the finish, where the boost gauge drops to 0 :(.

Last edited:
Damn, how much boost were you running? I would expect at least 20psi, that's the coolest thing i've seen all week. Good luck getting it back together.

I don't want to sound like a dick but you really should keep both hands on the wheel and keep your hands planted in the same spot whenever you drive on the track. You would be surprised what a difference that simple detail makes.

Last edited:
Damn, how much boost were you running? I would expect at least 20psi, that's the coolest thing i've seen all week. Good luck getting it back together.

I don't want to sound like a dick but you really should keep both hands on the wheel and keep your hands planted in the same spot whenever you drive on the track. You would be surprised what a difference that simple detail makes.

26 psi. not being a dick at all, i appreciate that since i'm still learning. i took the video so i could look back to see what needs improvement. that was also my first time on that track going in that direction.

hes running a gt2871 IIRC, about 24-26psi last time i asked him lol

yep

Last edited:
Damn, Jay...glad it is being taken care of for you! As was stated earlier, keep bith hands on the wheel unless you are shifting..One of the biggest issues I see with some off the students I have.

now im scared of going to my 26psi goal.. lols :(

im starting off at 16, shouldnt have any problems there im hoping!!!!!!

that sucks but im glad theyre taking care of it.

did the aluminum diamond plate floor panel fall off too? was there a sudden surge of power it it did?

26 psi. not being a dick at all, i appreciate that since i'm still learning. i took the video so i could look back to see what needs improvement. that was also my first time on that track going in that direction.

yep

Most people tell me to keep my hands at 9 and 3 or wherever feels comfortable. Keeping your hands there will help you to know exactly how much steering input you are giving the car. Try to keep both hands on as much as possible it is a very common habit (myself included) to leave your hand on the shifter. The best trick I learned that also helps a lot in street driving was to keep your eyes up and pay attention to 2 cars ahead of you. This is mostly for track driving but its a good tip.

Last edited:
2019 update:

i got the manifold back from rich (505) in december of 2013.
attachment.php

a year or two ago, i noticed i wasn't peaking 26.5 psi anymore. did a boost leak test and the car was barely holding half a psi, but i didn't see anything obvious. used a smoke leak detector and found this.
attachment.php

not sure how long it had been cracked since i rarely drive the car. messaged 505 and never received a response. luckily, i have a friend that can weld aluminum. he also welded that section from inside since we both noticed the original welds didn't have good penetration. didn't weld the rest of it from inside since the bracing was supposed to hold it all together.
attachment.php

attachment.php

installed this manifold in august 2019. drove the car all of last weekend and it cracked again in the same spot as the first time.
attachment.php

this time i'm going to have the manifold rebuilt with thicker walls, or have a gusset shell to go over everything. all i can say at this point is good luck and be careful to anyone else running this manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_3596.JPG
    IMG_3596.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 567
  • Snapseed.jpg
    Snapseed.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 529
dang. you're going above and beyond now to reinforce this thing. good luck!

unbelievable. some people maybe yourself included spent like 1300.00 for this thing.. i know the v3 was every bit of that, which is what I have(but got it for a steal).

hoping they did better on that version.

unbelievable. some people maybe yourself included spent like 1300.00 for this thing.. i know the v3 was every bit of that, which is what I have(but got it for a steal).

hoping they did better on that version.

don't run 26 pounds of boost and you'll be ok haha

I had a 505 v2 intake and it cracked twice on me. First time was around the egr block and bottom of the plenum, second time was #4 runner right at the head flange. The sheet metal, unfortunately, was just way too thin to handle heat and vibrations.

Back