Wrench light, 2014 Mazda 3

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
Has anyone gotten that wrench symbol (maintenance required) light to go out?

I have reset the oil change interval using the screen menus but that doesn't turn off the wrench light on the dash. The owners manual mentions pressing and holding the trip button while turning on the ignition, but there must be some trick to doing this. I did change the oil and set the computer to base oil change intervals on driving habits vs. mileage or time intervals.

Okay, I finally called the dealership. As expected, here's how that went:
Me: Could you explain how I can reset the little wrench light in the instrumentation area? I reset the oil life monitor and performed the "push and hold the trip stalk while turning on the ignition" routine but to no avail.
Service person: That's what I would've done. Let me ask someone else and call you back.
Me: Okay, thanks.
....3 hours later, no call, so I called the service person.
SP: Oh yeah....let me connect you to the person who can help.
Recording: "All service personnel are busy at this time. Please leave your name and number and we'll get back to you, shortly."
3 hours later - no message.

So, I found out that there are actually 3 maintenance categories that are factory set to turn on that little wrench light at 5000 miles. I thought it was only because of the oil change (which I did, myself). The two other maintenance issues are:

1: Tire rotation
2: Scheduled (Service)

You MUST reset each one by going to Home>Maintenance and selecting either scheduled, oil, or tire rotation and resetting it. Repeat for each of the other two. Only THEN will the wrench light go out.
You can add some miles (kinda like a snooze time) to delay the wrench light being illuminated, so I added 500 miles. That'll give me plenty of time to get the tires rotated.
I'd say the manual need a bit more clarity to it.

Last edited:
Back